inTank Media Baskets

Reeferman's Evo 8

reeferman81

Well Santa came early oh yeah.... Here is what he brought. Although I forgot to put the Reef Octo BH50 and sump in the pic but more pictures will be up soon

post-77662-0-91200900-1356278085_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I have done so far AI Nano, Aqueon Evo 8, 6lb of Tonga,6lb Black Pacific LS, Chemi Pure Elite,

Purigen, Poly Filter Floss, Poly Filter Pad. Hydor Nano 1600. Here's a most recent pic more to come.

post-77662-0-89685700-1356281008_thumb.jpg

Looking good so far! I have the evolve 8 as well and for the price I'm pretty happy. I have made some mods/upgrades though but overall it runs well. So I'm guessing the sippy cup is for water changes, the Ale bottle is for carbon dosing, and the spray bottle is to keep a naughty kitty from going fishing? ;)

• Like 1
Looking good so far! I have the evolve 8 as well and for the price I'm pretty happy. I have made some mods/upgrades though but overall it runs well. So I'm guessing the sippy cup is for water changes, the Ale bottle is for carbon dosing, and the spray bottle is to keep a naughty kitty from going fishing? ;)

What mods have you made kinda wondering haven't really seen any on here? Thanks for the complements. Tanks kinda going through a mini cycle. Glad I have my DT tank helps keep me from getting N.T.S lol, however I've seen some coral line growth.

I drilled holes in chamber one so water flows through the bottom instead of that side cut out. I keep chaeto and filter floss in there. I upgraded the stock pump to a maxijet 400. Upgraded lighting as well, bit I see you've got that covered :D

I drilled holes in chamber one so water flows through the bottom instead of that side cut out. I keep chaeto and filter floss in there. I upgraded the stock pump to a maxijet 400. Upgraded lighting as well, bit I see you've got that covered :D

Awesome idea I going to do that myself the little cut out they provide is puny. Do you keep the cheato below the first chamber or in the first chamber? Also what do you use for light for the cheto?

Make sure to take pictures if you modify the tank. I want this tank for my daughters room and I'll defiantly modify it eventually.
Will do should have the mods done by tomorrow

Also I'll have some pics of my 2.5 gal sump up later still working on a couple things on the sump.

Of Course the car person in my thought this was a car thread....Nice tank nonetheless!

^P.S. this comment prob also wont make sense if your not a car person.

• Like 1

Awesome idea I going to do that myself the little cut out they provide is puny. Do you keep the cheato below the first chamber or in the first chamber? Also what do you use for light for the cheto?

I cut two pieces of egg crate that fit the dimensions of chamber one and sandwich filter floss between them with rubber bands (pretty ghetto but actually works well). This sits in the bottom of ch.1. Then I have chaeto floating on top of this. I use intanks submersible fuge light for the chaeto.

One question, is that back section on the Evolve 8 removable in any way?

You could cut it out, but the entire back area is one molded piece. If I had it all to do again, I'd probably cut out chamber one and just make an acrylic divider with a 1/2" space along the bottom for water to flow.

I cut two pieces of egg crate that fit the dimensions of chamber one and sandwich filter floss between them with rubber bands (pretty ghetto but actually works well). This sits in the bottom of ch.1. Then I have chaeto floating on top of this. I use intanks submersible fuge light for the chaeto.

You could cut it out, but the entire back area is one molded piece. If I had it all to do again, I'd probably cut out chamber one and just make an acrylic divider with a 1/2" space along the bottom for water to flow.

Could you post a pic of the chamber one mod much appreciated... More pics are coming. Merry Christmas everybody.

I took out the chaeto so you could see. The filter floss sits on the bottom and is only about an inch wide so this leaves plenty of room for the chaeto. Below that I drilled 7 or 8 holes with a 1/4" bit so water would pass through. I didn't measure the space between them out just tried to space them out as evenly as possible eye balling it.

• Like 1

Do you think a Maxijet 900 could fit in the back?

We have concurrent builds right now.

I'm debating lighting right now if I want to go tried and tested AI Nano or get one of them full spectrum thingies. Just haven't seen a good way to attach those without it uglifying the tank.

I got mine on sale for $65 at Petsmart today.

I just threw a bunch of crap in the back including a heater. I wish someone made a good try solution.

• Like 1

not sure the dimensions on the 900 but the back chamber is 2 7/16" x 5 3/8". I have the 400 and this is pretty good flow as far as the filtration. I also have 2 korallia nano 240s that alternate via the smartwave one on/one off.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm figuring out the dimensions.

The flow is good with my MJ400; the stock pump literally died in 10 minutes.

I'm attaching a Hydor Wave Deflector on to the return pump and those cut flow tremendously so I'm looking into what might possibly fit, be quiet, and have enough flow with the wave deflector installed.

I took out the chaeto so you could see. The filter floss sits on the bottom and is only about an inch wide so this leaves plenty of room for the chaeto. Below that I drilled 7 or 8 holes with a 1/4" bit so water would pass through. I didn't measure the space between them out just tried to space them out as evenly as possible eye balling it.

Awesome!!! I just ordered a underwater fuge light

plan one pretty much following your route. I actually realized that the flow in the return chamber sucks so I'm going to put an extra little pump to stir thing up in there plus should help oxygenate the return water more. I did drop the a Maxi 400 in as the return and I've noticed a big difference in flow. Stock pump is under powered replacing is definitely a must for a reef tank.

I have the LEDTRIC fullspectrum and its a great bulb. The bright aquatics true spectrum is also nice and dimmable. For a fixture I have the boostled gooseneck from my old tank.

Thanks for the pics!!!!! And advice :-) More pics to come...

Jeez I hate waiting for a cycle to end!!!! I was just on my favorite coral site and they have some awesome frags for cheap. I guess I could get them and put them in my DT, I hate passing up good deals.

Archived