Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chaeto or...?

Bakenn

Sorry I don't have a picture because I'm at work but I just got some chaeto from reefcleaners.org today and it doesn't look like the normal stringy chaeto that I'm use to. Its more flat and looks like seaweed at the beach, is this a different species of chaeto? I emailed John at reefcleaners, he hasn't responded just yet, but I'm posting this here just to see if anyone else knows if this is a different type of chaeto? Thanks.

It should be stringy. It may have been matted down for shipping. Is it thin like angel hair pasta?

It doesn't look at all like the normal chaeto that looks like angel hair pasta.

You know what, it looks like the macro algae Ulva. Maybe there was a mix up, I just know that there are many different species of chaeto so I thought it was a different species. I'll have to wait for an email back I guess. Thanks for your help though.

It could be. He does collect a bunch of macros and ships out tons of packages daily. Mistakes are rare but are fixed very quickly.

If it looks like wilted lettuce then it is ulva.. I can say for sure that I have seen 2-3 different types of chaeto.. I have the darker green and curly chaeto (my wife calls it green pubes) and I have some light green that is thinner and not as curly. Someone told me there is also red kinda, but I haven't seen it so I just screamed LIAR at the top of my lungs until he walked away. :wacko:

Archived