Innovative Marine Aquariums

Polarcollision's Nuvo 8 & Temperate 6

Polarcollision

Polarcollision

Your macro shots are amamzing. Ok you have to tell me how many different frags are in this tank, I am not going to try and count them.

Yeah, I'm super excited for them to fill in to that overgrown look and the tiny frags let them grow into waterflow in the tank. There's 47 if you count the macroalgae. They're arranged into a zoa garden, acan garden, monti garden, and birdsnest garden.

Polarcollision

Can anyone confirm this is turf algae?

It is sitting in h2o2 to see if that kills it before spot treating a rock. The little segments in the stem are filling with o2. crossing fingers!

100x magnification

29078F8F-2B6C-4D1B-8F2E-823E0A6CB7B4-743

400x magnification 37E76529-DA57-4FFC-80B7-B6C4E1508438-743

• Like 1
Can anyone confirm this is turf algae?

It is sitting in h2o2 to see if that kills it before spot treating a rock. The little segments in the stem are filling with o2. crossing fingers!

100x magnification

29078F8F-2B6C-4D1B-8F2E-823E0A6CB7B4-743

400x magnification 37E76529-DA57-4FFC-80B7-B6C4E1508438-743

Great pics! Has the h2o2 work for you?

Polarcollision

Awesome. Good stuff. You dosing anything?

Just replenishing minerals with a gallon water change each week (instant ocean reef crystals) and adding buffer. Corals use about 1mL/day right now. I'm sure that will increase.

Thanks for stopping by!

Great pics! Has the h2o2 work for you?

I'm chicken to put anything into the tank right now even though there are more and more stories of good results. I'm worried that a really good balance of nitrifying bacteria will suffer the same fate as the algae. So I Figured I'd see if the algae would even die in peroxide first and then try draining the aquarium to spot treat.

Polarcollision

Really great job so far. It should grow out to be really stunning.

Thanks Gabe! I figured if I got most everything in the beginning that they'd grow with each other. And getting corals really small means even the designer pieces co$t le$$.

Polarcollision

My dogs never bother my tank. Awesome photos. Keep them coming.

Awww. Give your pooch a hug and a treat for me. This aquarium is my distraction from losing my 16 year old girl in October. Thanks for dropping by!

Polarcollision

Treated the aquarium for flatworms about a week ago. Syphoned out all I could see — about 20 before dosing Flatworm Exit. Syphoned out about 20 more as they died. None were left in the tank and everything seemed fine after treatment.

We left for a night on Christmas eve and when we returned, one sexy shrimp was missing and the water was cloudy. I did a 50% water change but it didn't clear up the cloudy water. Nitrate was 0 and all other water tests were also fine. I changed out the filter media just in case. One poccilopora had a tiny spot of 'bone' showing, but everything else was looking good so we left for a second night 4 days later.

When we returned last Saturday, the second sexy shrimp was nowhere to be found. Water is even more cloudy and all my birdsnest frags have RTN and have been removed. The acorapora and monit digitalis are holding on, but very light in color now. The last pocillopora is barely extending polyps and the encrusting montiporas are looking sickly, but seem to be holding on. There are no shrimp bodies anywhere to be found and the water parameters are testing normal. I assume the snails and pom pom crab have eaten the shrimp, but can't firgure out why the water is still so cloudy even after a second 50% water change.

Is there anything I can do to save the last sickly SPS corals?

Polarcollision

Man thats a bummer.

You could try and frag or dip the SPS to stop the tissue loss..

Run some Carbon and see if that clears up the water.

Dipped them in weak buffered iodine and just did a 90% water change. Upgrading to that InTank media basket so its possible to run purigen and chemipure instead of the IM filter media. Crossing fingers... The zoas and palys are really happy at least. :-)

Thanks everyone for taking a look! I've been reading through your tank threads. Lots of drooling and inspiration happening today.

I've never played with custom white balance on the camera and gave it a shot tonight under the LEDs. Here's a macro of a hungry banana rainbow acan.

grow! grow! grow!

DPP07DC0C14162B20_zps98588f4c.jpg

Drool!

GrandeGixxer

Good luck! Just get a bag of carbon and throw it in with the return pump. I know the 8 gallon only has one overflow, but on my 16, I was able to fit a bag of purigen in one of the media baskets and in the other one(since I have 2) I put the bag of CPE.

Polarcollision

I really think my palys could survive a nucular holocost.

I hope every thing pulls through for you.

Thanks! The water was crystal clear this morning after the sand milk settled. Yay!!! omgomgomg UWW Starburst monti has a few polyps showing and the sunset monti also has a few trying to come out. They're pretty beat up, but this is a good turn! Lesson learned - nudibranch, not chemicals next time.

Drool!

I think I got that one through aquasd.com if you wanted to drool into your aquarium too. :-)

Following along because:

1. Your kitties are cute

2. Your acan pic is AWESOME :wub:

3. You have a nice little tank going

1. :-)

2. :-)

3. :-)

Good luck! Just get a bag of carbon and throw it in with the return pump. I know the 8 gallon only has one overflow, but on my 16, I was able to fit a bag of purigen in one of the media baskets and in the other one(since I have 2) I put the bag of CPE.

Sounds like you have a good thing going - I never thought to just put it in the pump chamber! Jealous of your 16 gallons and the extra room for power head flow. How do you like it so far?

Polarcollision

Combining reef chemistry notes and bookmarks in one place, much summarized from Randy Holmes-Farley articles.

ELOS KH test kit reading (when yellow color is more orange like in bottle): http://vimeo.com/29448026

Great article about relationship between Ca, Mg, dKH, and pH. Edit: Google cached version if link is broken

Magnesium: target natural seawater concentration: 1285 ppm. For practical purposes, 1250-1350 ppm is fine. Mg++ allows higher levels of Ca++ and carbonate in solution by preventing crystalization. As does phosphorus. Noticed a drop in Mg for first time after adding Chemipure Elite (contains an ion exchanger). Mg known to bind to GFO. "In seawater, magnesium ions get into calcium carbonate crystals in place of calcium ions. Strontium ions may also do so, but their numbers are far lower than magnesium's (about 600 times lower) so they are less likely to become incorporated. Even though magnesium carbonate itself is soluble enough that it will not precipitate from normal seawater, in a mixed calcium and magnesium carbonate structure, its solubility is lower. So solid, pure calcium carbonate is rapidly converted to a material with a coating of calcium and magnesium carbonate. This coating has some very important effects. The primary effect is that it makes the surface no longer look like calcium carbonate, so calcium and carbonate ions that land on it no longer find the surface as inviting as before. The magnesium ions have altered the surface in a way that does not hold calcium and carbonate as strongly, and so the "off" rate of any newly landing calcium and carbonate ions is higher (Figure 10). Consequently, even if the driving force to deposit calcium carbonate is still there, the magnesium has gotten in the way and doesn't allow it to happen (or keeps it from happening as fast). Thee extent to which magnesium gets onto calcium carbonate surfaces depends strongly on the amount of magnesium in solution. The more there is, the more it gets onto the surfaces. If magnesium is lower than normal, then it may not adequately get onto growing calcium carbonate surfaces, allowing the deposition of calcium carbonate to proceed faster than it otherwise would, potentially leading to increased abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate from seawater onto objects such as heaters and pumps. Often the inability to maintain adequate calcium and alkalinity despite extensive supplementation, and the precipitation of significant amounts of calcium carbonate on heaters and pumps, are signs that the water has inadequate magnesium."

Calcium: Hard coral build skeleton out of Calcium carbonate. NSW: 420 ppm. Maintain between 380-450.

KH: Most practically a measurement of bicarbonate (HCO3-). Part of hard skeleton: calcium carbonate CaCO3. When bicarbonate is depleted, corals can become stressed and die. Maintain between 7-11 dKH, 125-200 ppm. Can deplete in a day if heavy coral draw. Alkalinity varies more than Ca++ naturally. If water becomes supersaturated, precipitation is likely until max saturation is restored. "The higher the alkalinity (at a fixed pH), the more carbonate is present. In fact, the amount of carbonate present is directly proportional to the alkalinity. So at an alkalinity of 5 meq/L (14 dKH), there is twice as much carbonate as in natural seawater with an alkalinity of 2.5 meq/L (7 dKH). Lower calcium carbonate solubility at higher alkalinity implies that precipitation of calcium carbonate can be more extensive. In other words, as the alkalinity rises, the amount of calcium that can be kept in solution without precipitation decreases. This effect is why, for example, maintaining a very high alkalinity can lead to excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate onto objects such as heaters and pumps. Likewise, as the alkalinity is reduced, the amount of calcium that can be kept in solution without precipitation is increased."

pH: At lower pH, more bicarbonate (HCO3-). At higher pH, more carbonate (CO3--). Falling pH increases the amount of Calcium and alkalinity kept in solution without precipitation. At pH of 6.5, about 50 times less carbonate is present than in the same solution at pH 8.2, so the "on rate" of calcium carbonate precipitation --into corals and on equipment-- is greatly reduced, even though more can dissolve into solution. At low pH (7.8) mich higher concentrations of calcium and alkalinity can be maintained in solution than at higher pH (8.5). "For this reason, aquarists whose aquaria are low in pH often claim that they have no problem maintaining high levels of calcium and alkalinity, and rarely remove calcium carbonate from their pumps, while other aquarists with much higher pH do not understand why they cannot maintain such conditions in their aquarium, or why their pumps often rapidly clog. The effect of having more carbonate at higher pH is one of the main drivers of that difference (the other being that many corals may actually demand more calcium and alkalinity at higher pH, as they can calcify faster at higher pH). As a follow up, do not assume that low pH is better because it allows easier maintenance of calcium and alkalinity, and clogs pumps more slowly. It is also more stressful for many calcifying corals simply because they have a harder time calcifying at lower pH. That increased difficulty is due to the fact that they have to pump out a proton (H+) when they make carbonate from bicarbonate, and the lower the pH, the more H+ already in solution, and the harder it is to pump out the additional H+."

Phosphates: Interfere with Calcium carbonate crystal formation. When high, calcifying coral growth can slow as much as 50% (cite seachem). GFO binds. Don't reduce to 0, but aim for less than .03 ppm as this is the concentration where it becomes limiting factor in algal growth, but still allows for biological processes that require phosphates. Macroalgae, certain corals, bacteria, activated carbon, skimming, limewater, polymer resins and aluminum or iron bsaed binding materials (GFO: Phosban, phosphate killer, rowaphos) can all reduce phosphates. Tests measure orthophosphate (H3PO4, H2PO4-, HPO4--, and PO4---) not same as organic phosphate. Introduced mostly in foods.

Nitrates: aaa

Strontium: deposits into calcium carbonate matrix in place of calcium. much less frequently than even Mg.

Phosphate removers, activated carbon, GFO: Purigen removes organic waste, but not phosphates. Carbon removes organics, but not phosphate (?). PhosGuard for phosphate removal, remove when phosphates fall (combined Matrix Carbon, Purigen and Phosguard cited). Store PhosGuard dry.

Purigen: Not an ion exchanger or adsorber. Controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, not phosphates. Raises redox. Polishes water. Replace/regenerate when media turns dark. Store purigen moist.

GFO: drop in phosphate can impact alga zooxanthellae. When phosphate is limiting nutrient (below NSW) coral can become stressed, stop growing and become susceptible to disease. Same with some trace minerals. Iron hydroxide may nucleate precipitation of calcium carbonate to or within tissues. Sulfate, chlorida, calcium, magnesium, trace mentals and organics known to bind to GFO surfaces.

Conclusion

Calcium and alkalinity are closely related in reef aquaria. This relationship is caused primarily by the way that they combine to form calcium carbonate. The deposition of calcium carbonate can take place as organisms form skeletons, shells and other structures, and as it is abiotically precipitated onto objects such as heaters and pumps. The formation of calcium carbonate by any mechanism uses an approximately fixed ratio of calcium and alkalinity, allowing aquarists to devise strategies that supplement these together in this same ratio.

One way that aquarists can think about the relationships between calcium, alkalinity, pH and magnesium is by how they impact the way that calcium and carbonate in solution come together to precipitate as calcium carbonate. Elevating calcium or carbonate will increase the likelihood of calcium carbonate precipitation. This happens as the ions land on, and become attached to, the growing calcium carbonate surface faster than other ions leave it. Such elevations can come from obvious sources, such as increasing calcium or alkalinity, or through less apparent sources, such as increasing pH.

Additionally, magnesium impacts how effectively calcium and carbonate that are "trying" to precipitate are able to do so. It does this by altering the growing calcium carbonate solid so that it no longer looks as inviting for additional calcium and carbonate ions to stick to it.

Understanding these mechanisms can help aquarists to understand and act on the many real world situations that they must address appropriately. These include maintaining calcium and alkalinity, keeping pumps from clogging, reducing the likelihood of sand beds becoming cemented together, avoiding massive calcium carbonate precipitation events and keeping corals and other calcifying organisms thriving.

Happy Reefing!

Summary of Biological Deposition of Calcium Carbonate

The effect of corals, coralline algae and other organisms that deposit calcium carbonate, while not exactly the same as abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, has some similar attributes with respect to the interrelationships between calcium, alkalinity, pH and magnesium. Some of these are:

and coralline algae use calcium and alkalinity almost exclusively to deposit calcium carbonate. Because of this they use a fixed ratio of calcium to alkalinity, which is driven by the ratio of calcium and carbonate in calcium carbonate (1:1). The net consumption is about 18-20 ppm of calcium for each 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alkalinity. The reason the amount of calcium varies is that the incorporation of magnesium in place of calcium varies a bit from species to species.

2. The fact that corals and coralline algae use a fixed ratio of calcium to alkalinity
that mirror this exact ratio. Using such an additive system allows accurate matching of the supplement to the demand, and does not cause rapid swings in calcium or alkalinity relative to each other if the additions are not perfect. Such balanced additives include
and
, among others.

3. Under natural seawater conditions (calcium = 420 ppm,
pH
= 8.2, alkalinity = 2.5 meq/L (7 dKH)), many corals and coralline algae are
in their calcification rate by the water's alkalinity level. If the water has additional bicarbonate (alkalinity) in it, then it is possible for deposition of calcium carbonate to occur more rapidly. In other words, if alkalinity is increased in a reef aquarium, then the deposition of calcium carbonate can reduce both calcium and alkalinity.

4. If the water's calcium level is below a certain threshold (about 360 ppm when alkalinity is normal), then it can limit calcium carbonate skeletal
. In this situation, boosting calcium to natural levels or higher will reduce the alkalinity over time as corals begin to use the calcium and alkalinity at a faster rate.

5. If the concentration of calcium or carbonate is too low in a reef aquarium, then corals will have a harder time depositing their calcium carbonate skeletons. Such conditions can stress or even kill them. Under extreme conditions, their skeletons can even dissolve. Aquarists often overlook
pH
as a big driver in reducing carbonate concentration. Even if the calcium and alkalinity match normal seawater concentrations,
pH
values below about 7.7 can permit aragonite skeletons to slowly dissolve because the amount of carbonate in solution is so low.

Summary of Abiotic Calcium Carbonate Solubility Effects

This section summarizes many of the ideas covered in the above sections and puts them together to form a more complete understanding.

1. Normal seawater (calcium = 420 ppm,
pH
= 8.2, alkalinity = 2.5 meq/L (7 dKH)) is significantly supersaturated with calcium carbonate. That is, more of the ions (several-fold more, actually) are already in solution than would be stable in the long term. The rate at which calcium and carbonate ions land on a pure calcium carbonate surface in seawater is higher than the rate at which they leave that surface. This supersaturation sets up the potential for calcium carbonate precipitation.

2. The potential precipitation described in (1) above is "delayed," sometimes indefinitely, as magnesium gets onto the growing calcium carbonate crystal structure. The magnesium alters the surface, making it no longer look like calcium carbonate. This "poisoning" of the surface slows or stops the precipitation of additional calcium and carbonate onto it. Abnormally low levels of magnesium will be less effective at preventing the precipitation of calcium carbonate.

3. The more calcium and carbonate there is in excess of "saturation," the faster the potential rate of calcium carbonate's precipitation. In other words, the more the "on rate" exceeds the "off rate," the faster precipitation can take place. If the potential for rapid precipitation exists due to a very high supersaturation condition, the more likely such precipitation is to overwhelm magnesium's ability to prevent it.

4. The factors that lead to higher supersaturation are higher calcium, alkalinity and
pH
. The effect of
pH
is especially dramatic, with an increase of 0.3
pH
units being equivalent to a doubling of calcium or alkalinity in terms of the supersaturation (or in terms of the driving force for precipitation). This
pH
effect is why an overdose of limewater can cause calcium carbonate precipitation, and why dosing limewater into a skimmer or other enclosed system (such as a pump intake) can increase precipitation of calcium carbonate inside it. It is also why reducing the water's
pH
in a calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactor can dissolve calcium carbonate media.

5. If the water is below "saturation" with respect to calcium and carbonate, then no net precipitation will take place. Under normal seawater conditions, where the water is, in fact, supersaturated with calcium carbonate, there is still little precipitation, largely because of the magnesium in the seawater. Consequently, if calcium or alkalinity is lower than "normal" in a reef aquarium, then boosting either (or both) calcium and alkalinity to natural levels will cause no rapid precipitation of calcium carbonate. In other words, boosting one under these conditions will not cause a rapid decline in the other.

6. When calcium carbonate precipitates, it uses up a fixed ratio of calcium and carbonate (1:1, or about 20 ppm of calcium for each 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alkalinity). This ratio is the same as corals use to deposit their calcium carbonate skeletons. Abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, like coral skeletal formation, can incorporate other ions, such as magnesium and strontium. That incorporation will reduce the above ratio from 20 ppm calcium for each 1 meq/L of alkalinity to a slightly lower value. Over the long term this process can deplete magnesium and strontium in an aquarium if only calcium and alkalinity are supplemented.

and a flow calculator from Ecotech

• Like 1
GrandeGixxer

Thank you! I really like the 16 so far! I can't wait for my sol to come in so I can see what colors everything is. Im really dropped the ball on the stock lighting for the price This tank cost.

Mr. Microscope

Okay,

This is my favorite new tank!

Love the acan!

Can't wait to see the tank fill in. I think you're stocked BTW. All you have to do now is sit back and watch. Good luck!

Great microscopy as well! ;) What are you using for that?

Also, love love love that kitten!

Polarcollision

Okay,

This is my favorite new tank!

Love the acan!

Can't wait to see the tank fill in. I think you're stocked BTW. All you have to do now is sit back and watch. Good luck!

Great microscopy as well! ;) What are you using for that?

Also, love love love that kitten!

:wub: Aww, thanks! The microscope is just one of those cheap Amscope models but I was too lazy to hook up the DSLR so I just shot down the eyepiece with the iPhone. I purchased it with the intention of adapting the 4x and 10x objective lenses to the DSLR for super crisp macro images, but it's turned out to be more fun to look through the scope at the itty bitty critters living in sand and water.

The macros are from the DSLR plus a 100mm macro lens. Tack sharp!