Top Shelf Aquatics

Acclimating Mollies to Saltwater

Archaic37

snowflake ell
Nope, they're completely reef safe.

That's sick!

I was reading this thread and I wasn't sure if I read it right but was the best survival rate is minenimal drip method ? Or just dropping them in the tank?

jedimasterben
That's sick!

I was reading this thread and I wasn't sure if I read it right but was the best survival rate is minenimal drip method ? Or just dropping them in the tank?

I had my first casualties with the drop method, so it looks like a quick drip is what they may need (like maybe 4-8 hours or so)

I had a molly in my tank ONCE. Wife wanted it. So I dripped it for like 5 hours. It lasted awhile until I got rid of it. Boring fish. haha

I had a molly in my tank ONCE. Wife wanted it. So I dripped it for like 5 hours. It lasted awhile until I got rid of it. Boring fish. haha

So fancy tail gupies will take full reef settings?

So fancy tail gupies will take full reef settings?

I had a lyre tail. People feed certain fish gupies. And I've seen them last in tanks for over a week before eaten. But I've never kept them longterm in saltwater.

I had a lyre tail. People feed certain fish gupies. And I've seen them last in tanks for over a week before eaten. But I've never kept them longterm in saltwater.

I would love to try it on my edge but i wouldnt want to kill a fish my lfs sells them for 10bucks so not cheap

I would love to try it on my edge but i wouldnt want to kill a fish my lfs sells them for 10bucks so not cheap

$10?! where do you live? Antarctica? They are like $3 at most here.

I live in Cali the golden state

People always say stuff is more expensive there but dang. Have you tried Petco or Petsmart?

People always say stuff is more expensive there but dang. Have you tried Petco or Petsmart?

No I heard horror storys from those places so I dont support big stores just regular mom and pops shops

snowflake ell
I had my first casualties with the drop method, so it looks like a quick drip is what they may need (like maybe 4-8 hours or so)

i kind of wont to try this on my tank , but i dont wont to risk killing a

• Like 1
jedimasterben
i kind of wont to try this on my tank , but i dont wont to risk killing a

I would just drip them then. Keep an eye on them every couple of hours and if they look stressed, hold them at that salinity and wait til they calm down and start again.

Are there any common larger brackish fish that might be interesting for like a 110 gallon reef?

I think Monos too, I know they are full marine later in life. They are veyr much on the large size in my opnion. I also know Dragon Gobies can go full marine. (I have one in freshwater and he is nearing 18-20 inches.)

Bull Sharks and Greenland sharks can be fresh/brackish/marine. ;) If you put those in the tank we will require pictures.

On the smaller side I know Bumble Bee gobies can as well. I keep thinking I am going to try them but I just don't have a container to drip acclimate them.

This makes me wonder if knight gobies could be aclimated to marine. American Flag Fish would be another one that would be great if it can be acclimated, those guys are great hair algae eaters.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should be feeding them? They munch on the chaeto in their tank and the pick at the sponge which has some algae on it. There are 11 in total (born 11/26)

Might read up on breeding livebearing fish. Most of what they eat is micro stuff and rather hard to find starter cultures of. Grendal worms, banna worms, viningar eels.

• 6 years later...

Hi there!

I ordered some mollies a couple of weeks ago and want to acclimate them to saltwater. I have two silver molly and four dalmatian molly. I'm just nervous about this as I don't want to kill them since I did order them and probably paid more than if I had bought them from Petco. My plan is for them to be breeders so I can feed my blue line grouper. I read they breed fast.

20190904_144151.jpg

20190904_144135.jpg

20190904_144144.jpg

On 12/12/2012 at 9:29 PM, Archaic37 said:

It is so weird how they survive better with minimal drip acclimation.

It's not actually so weird....acclimation can actually be pretty hard on fish, especially ones that go on for hours and hours.

IME it's harder to find healthy mollies than it is to acclimate healthy mollies to saltwater. 

Out of my first batch, one male and one female lived for about a week or two before the male died.  The female subsequently released about 3 or 4 clutches of babies about 1 months apart after that.  Several babies survived for months, but ultimately only one is still with me and growing to full size.  I tried hatching baby brine shrimp for them and I guess that get them as far as they got....but I think there wasn't enough food for all of them to grow the way the tank was being fed at the time.  I've tries two other times to add more males and 100% have died within a day, FYI.

Check this paper out this paper on acclimation from Sustainable Aquatics:

http://www.sustainableaquatics.com/docs/Acclimation-White-Paper.docx

...who by the way sells saltwater molllies:

https://www.coralreeftn.com/shop.php  (Check under Sustainable Aquatics Reef Fish > Misc)

• 1 year later...

Dusting off this thread... does can anyone help me fact check if guppies and bumblebee gobies can live in saltwater?, if they can i will start a black moscow collection with my banggai pair to feed them

how about ricefish since they can live in brackish and are hardy af

when i say bumblebee gobies i mean the freshwater ones