ReefCleaners.org

Acclimating Mollies to Saltwater

Archaic37

Go for it!

There was a white lyre tail that I almost picked instead if this guy. I've had this vision lately of only black and white colored fish.

Here ya go. Bad quality, but whatev lol.

So sword tails/lyer tails will live too? I might get one of those then. I like them a bit more then sailfins.

jedimasterben
So sword tails/lyer tails will live too? I might get one of those then. I like them a bit more then sailfins.

They're almost all the same species - Poecilia volifera

It's actually a lyre tail sail fin that we have at work. We have some VERY nice looking swords. I might try one next.

Jedimasterbens mollies convinced me to try some a while back. I did lyretail ballon mollies lol they are hillarious. The male was constantly picked on and recently died. The female is still fat, happy, swimming, and eating. Ill find a pic.

I drip acclimated for about an hour but i dont think it was nesicary they took to it fast.

Thanks albert ill definately check that out. ;)

Edit: found these in my thread

2012-11-06181721.jpg

2012-11-06181824.jpg

Edited by JamesHL88

Oh btw i think i saw a program on tv that claimed that most all of the tropical live bearing fish sold in petstores (swordtails, guppies, mollies, etc...) can be acclimated to saltwater. Im skeptical of guppies but that would be SWEET! Someone try it.

jedimasterben
Oh btw i think i saw a program on tv that claimed that most all of the tropical live bearing fish sold in petstores (swordtails, guppies, mollies, etc...) can be acclimated to saltwater. Im skeptical of guppies but that would be SWEET! Someone try it.

Guppies and mollies can, no problem, they are often found in the Gulf of Mexico (I can actually catch some mollies in the Atlantic), but swordtails can only handle mild brackish as far as I know.

Don't forget that mollies can grow between 4 or 6 inches and poop a lot. Not sure how well that would work in an 8 gallon. Also acclimation can take as short as couple hours or as long as a couple of weeks. The longer you do it the better chance of survival.

Edited by Squared

Well I was going to get a silver/white lyer tail. Then I found a dalmation with the biggest sail fin I have ever seen. He just got dropped into the tank after being floated in the bag. The dottyback chased him for a little bit now he is just chilling.

We will see how this goes. Pictures if he makes it to monday and sets a longivity record. (No pre-aclimated molly I have bought before has made it past 3 days.) Lets see how the 'Drop him in' method works for my 1$ freshwater molly.

Mr. Microscope

Seriously considering a balloon molly. I had a yellow-orange one in my FW tank years ago (before my venture into reefs). My wife loved it and it had the best personality. It loved the current coming from the HOB and would swim against in all day. Would probably help with algae too.

Mine didn't make it. I figured out the culprit for this and previous deaths. It is my Indigo Dottyback. He chases them for a bit then he leaves them alone, so I thought. I sat and watched the tank off an on yesterday for about an hour after I put the Molly in. I noticed that every time the dotty back chased him around he had a little bit less of a tail fin. I finally netted the molly into a breeder box to protect him. Well the damage was done apperently, he didn't make it through today.

I always wonderd why the previous ones looked like the CUC had eaten the tail first. Turns out it was the dottyback being an jerk.

Really the best way is to acclimate these guys is to put them in a tank with very low salinity. 1.05 - 1.09 and then replace the evaporated water with saltwater. This will raise the salinity over about two weeks, depending on evaporation and tank size.

While they may survive short term using the dump method, it's a terrible way to treat fish, and it will cause them damage that will shorten their lives.

Seriously considering a balloon molly. I had a yellow-orange one in my FW tank years ago (before my venture into reefs). My wife loved it and it had the best personality. It loved the current coming from the HOB and would swim against in all day. Would probably help with algae too.

Just a heads up, the balloons are pathetic swimmers and always find themselves resting in a low flow area other than feeding time. Not a real problem just something i encountered. Might have to play with your powerheads to get a low flow spot in a veiwing area. Otherwise they will just sit in a corner.

Think I may try a guppy again this week. Maybe the dottyback will leave him alone. Seeing as they look nothing like dottybacks.

I am starting to wonder if the dottyback thought the mollies were other dottybacks. They do look some what similar. I think remember reading some where that dottybacks are territorial to their own kind.

jedimasterben

Guppies handle it just as well as mollies, but they need to have calmer waters, especially if you get some of the guppies that have super big fins.

Think I may try a guppy again this week. Maybe the dottyback will leave him alone. Seeing as they look nothing like dottybacks.

I am starting to wonder if the dottyback thought the mollies were other dottybacks. They do look some what similar. I think remember reading some where that dottybacks are territorial to their own kind.

They are, but I wouldn't think a molly would be that similar.

Well if that is the case with the guppies I may have to pass, planning on building a wave maker here soon.

I may try a molly that is orange or yellow. Insted of black and white which is closer to the color of the dottyback. He is a bit of an *pause*; he is not nice.

jedimasterben
Are there any common larger brackish fish that might be interesting for like a 110 gallon reef?

Mollies, guppies, silver-tipped shark catfish, and green spotted puffers are the only brackish fish I know of that can move into full salt no problem.

Mollies, guppies, silver-tipped shark catfish, and green spotted puffers are the only brackish fish I know of that can move into full salt no problem.

Scats can as well, they eat aiptasia but may not be entirely reef safe.