Coral Vue Hydros

Has anyone ever seen this before?

awpong

WeirdHitchhikerID.jpg

Can anyone ID this thing for me?

Each tentacle is a little less than a cm in length, and the entire creature lives inside of that sand-tube. It will retract on contact.

I've never seen anything like this before and haven't been able to ID him. He's been in my tank for about a year and hasn't spread, this is just the first time I've been able to photograph him. He was originally attached to the rock base of one of my SPS, but he moved after I buried him in the sand.

Nah, it's not a gorgonian, but I am pretty sure that it is a filter feeder.

Yah. Bad guess. :) It is pretty cool.

A barnacle?

What is the red worm with white spikes to the right center? Doesn't look like a run of the mill bristle worm.

The red guy is just a normal bristle worm.

Maybe?

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html

If you scroll down there is a section labled "Scale worm of the Acoetidae family"

When I do a google search for "Scale worm Acoetidae" there are a few threads that come up, one of which is from this site with worms that look very much like yours.

I looked into scale worms too, but none of the ones I found were as hairy as this guy. Also, scale worms have two antennae, but I'm pretty sure I'd call these tentacles or arms.

I'm uploading a video of him right now onto youtube. He is able to move his hairs around, I'm assuming for filter feeding purposes. I also shot him with water at the end to make him retract into his sand-tube.

Man, I want one of those, that thing is too cool.
I like that thing a lot

You want to sell it :D :D

lol y'all are weird. This thing is creepy.

lol y'all are weird. This thing is creepy.

Thats the reason why i want it

the good thing is that its been there for a year with no problems

Just keep in mind if you get tired of it ill be glad to take it from you

No, it's adorable! I want it!

i know its the coolest thing

Definitely new for me. Waiting for ID!

A few people on RC think that it's a scallop of some kind. I don't see it... but anything is possible.

I sent the guys at WWM an email based off of someone's recommendation, so hopefully they'll be able to figure out what this little guy is.

I am going to go with baby alien. I am suprised at the plethora of things the guys at WWM can ID. I spent probably 6 hours on there trying to ID a strange nem that was chilling out in the sump randomly when I was cleaning the sump out. I still have no idea where it came from but I do know what it is now. :) They at least got me on the right trail to find out what thething was.

Your creepy crawly sure is intresting. Does kind of remind me of a scalop, but the shell doesn't seem to fit. I had a fairly large barnicle for quite a while and they behave nothing like that either.

I am intrested what this is for sure.

Archived