Top Shelf Aquatics

New 20g

Mateo

I am currently setting up my first tank ever which is going to be a 20 gallon nano reef and I have a couple of questions. First off I am curious if I need anything else hardware wise: I currently have a 20L tank, counter current skimmer, rotating power head, heater, and about a 2 1/2" live sand bed. I will be adding some LR as soon as I find some I like. And will be purchasing a light fixture as soon as I find one I like and is within reason for such a small tank.(any recomendations under $60 or so?) Is there anything else I might want to add to my list?(besides fish and inverts) I'd also like to hear what others have stocked their 20g tanks with. Any comments other than get a FW tank first are welcome!

Thanks,

Matt

If you have just joined, you would not have "lurked" for a while and looked over some old threads.... type in some key words in SEARCH function and You will find a Plethora of information......

Only real advice I give to this type of post...... is esential to any reefer..

READ READ READ READ READ, STOP, plan, Plan some more, READ READ, Budget, research options, THen comparison shop, decide on WHAT EXACTLY U want to keep... and then PLAN SOME MORE..... THEN buy. You will be better armed for that will come !:)

the lights and a good book, tullock's Natural Reef Aquarium or calfo's Coral Propagation (don't let the title fool you) it's full of ideas and advice ANNNND if you happen to want to go into mariculturing corals and fish, you've got the book already. :P

Here is my 29gal it is only 4 weeks old

Tank specs,

29gal AGA 30x12x18

Sumpless

CPR BakPak2R

2 Maxijet 600

CPR in tank refugium

4" aragonite DSB

35lbs of Live Rock

2 x 55watt PC 10K and 03

I have a 20 gal. high with 2x65w PC's(CSL) which I got from premium aquatics(www.premiumaquatics.com). I'm not sure of the cost, but they were definitely more than $60.

I currently have the following in my tank:

Corals

Red open brain

Green star polyps

yellow polyps

blue mushrooms

colt coral

pulsing xenia

button polyps

fish

just one watchman goby ( I prefer the tranquility of corals in such a small tank)

others

numerous hermits(red legs, scarlets, hawaiians)

emerald crab (missing a claw, named stumpy :) )

margarita snails

nassarious(sp?) snails

peppermint shrimp

Thats about it. If I ever break down and buy a digital camera, I'll post some pics. This tank has been running since dec. of last year.

Archived