• Refugium and Skimmer only
    • Refugium and C/GFO only
    • Carbon and/or GFO only
    • C/GFO Skimmer and Refugium
    • Skimmer only

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+10 on display refugium. Kat, I marvel at how you quantum jumped utilitarian refugium. Patrick

I don't even know what that means. :lol: The fuge IS utilitarian, but nobody said it shouldn't look pretty at the same time. The new re-do of the fuge this past week has 2.5G worth of chaeto stuffed to the back right.

20130228_215744.jpg

+10 on display refugium is a compliment.

Quantum leap is to the power of 10000000000. A very big number.

Did you finish your tank move ?

+10 on display refugium is a compliment.

Quantum leap is to the power of 10000000000. A very big number.

Did you finish your tank move ?

It's done, yes, thanks for asking.

I don't even know what that means. :lol: The fuge IS utilitarian, but nobody said it shouldn't look pretty at the same time. The new re-do of the fuge this past week has 2.5G worth of chaeto stuffed to the back right.

20130228_215744.jpg

Wow, very inspirational. I might borrow steal some of your scape ideas for my new fuge :)

What's that pink birds nest looking piece in the front?

Grumblecakes

I tried a fuge only, skimmer + fuge and skimmer only. the fuge was kinda a headache, chaeto never really grew and kinda looked like crap (ac70 fuge mod). On my reef tank ive been running just a skimmer for about 5 months now, no carbon, no gfo, no mechanical. water changes every 7-14 days (new job kinda messing up tank maintence. my FOWLR (has a zoa colony in it)tank is running with just a skimmer and gfo+carbon.

I dont test my levels very often BUT: my reef has no notable algae growth and i feed till the two clowns (adults) quit eating. Ive noticed my corals have done better without carbon and GFO but it maybe uncorrelated. I kinda think that if you replace chemical filtration AFTER its exhausted your just creating oscillations in nutrient load.

My FOWLR tank has some brown alage that ive gotten under control, i attribute this to not having enough lr.

I ran an AC110 fuge mod for about 8 months on my 20 long. Chaeto grew like crazy but I was losing a battle with dinos. I upgraded to a 12ish gallon display sump from LifeReef and added a Tunze 9002 skimmer and my dinos were gone within a month. I give most of the credit to the fuge, as my skimmer produces only about a half cup of tea colored skimmate per week.

post-67807-0-10135500-1363114918_thumb.jpg

xerophyte_nyc

I used to use just an ATS in my sump to supplement small amounts of Purigen, carbon and GFO. Then I read and participated in this thread about phosphates, and it opened my eyes about what is really going on - so I added foam fractionation to deal with the invisible organic phosphate load in the tank.

Skimmer has been running for a few weeks now, consistently pulling out gunk which looks just like detritus trapped in the bubbles. What I have noticed is a definitive reduction in algae growth on the ATS, and also much less film algae on my glass. I used to have to clean the glass every 3 days or so, big time PITA; now I just need to clear off spotty areas once a week. Clearly the skimmer is helping. I used to be a member of the skimmerless fan club, but not anymore.

Wow, very inspirational. I might borrow steal some of your scape ideas for my new fuge :)

What's that pink birds nest looking piece in the front?

That is Galaxaura

I ran an AC110 fuge mod for about 8 months on my 20 long. Chaeto grew like crazy but I was losing a battle with dinos. I upgraded to a 12ish gallon display sump from LifeReef and added a Tunze 9002 skimmer and my dinos were gone within a month. I give most of the credit to the fuge, as my skimmer produces only about a half cup of tea colored skimmate per week.

That looks amazing

• 1 month later...
SantaMonica

Well there was no option for scrubber-only, unless you want to include scrubbers in the fuge group :)

The display fuge has always been a fav idea; will try to incorporate one into a reef pool soon.

• 1 month later...

I had a fuge. I honestly hated it. Removed it, added the biggest skimmer I go fit in where the fuge use to be, a Reef Octopus Nwb150(and it was free) and started carbon dosing. And honestly, removing the fuge was the best decision I've made.

Should add carbon dosing/bio pellets and skimmer to the list.

I honestly felt like it wasn't big enough to do the job yet big enough to collect just enough crap. I've been 100x happier without it.

On my current tank I'm trying fuge filtration only with sps, some lps, and softies (Zoas, mushies, rics in DT, leathers, etc in fuge)

The DT is 17g while the display fuge will be around 1/2 that.

SantaMonica

I honestly felt like it wasn't big enough to do the job yet big enough to collect just enough crap

Yes that can be a concern with fuges, since flow is slow (food particles settle), and each layer of macro shades other layers (filtering is proportional to photosynthesis, which is proportional to light).

I just kinda realized that im only running a Refugium for filtration. I decided to look up how many people do this and it seems rather rare. Ive had my tank running this way with LPS, SPS, Zoas, Display macro fuge, Fish and inverts with no real issues for about 2 months. I would really like to keep this Biological filtration only but Now im wondering if i should run a carbon/GFO mix in a reactor, as i was reading about people having issues later on. Anyone else running tanks Refugium only or similar? any input?

While I run a fuge, gfo, carbon, AND biopellets. My recommendation is if it isn't broke, don't fix it. What you run will depend on your tank. A low bioload with fish that only need food every other day is a lot different then an overstocked tank with anthias who needs multiple feedings.

The reason I run so much filtration is I like to overstock and I feed very very heavily.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently using floss and chemi-pure elite and an in tank fuge in my 10gallon, but it is just a temporary tank while I build my 20L AIO. I like using a skimmer, cheato, floss and filter media--and weekly water changes. I've been fortunate enough to have never had a problem with cyano or hair algae.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
drunkenmonk21

I ran my 40b Macro display for a year or so with just a small hob filter and maybe a water change ever 3-6 months with no problem. I even had to dose nitrates for this tank every week lol.

• 3 months later...

Archived