Innovative Marine Aquariums

How can I tell if these snails are dead???

TheJerry

I put these snails into my tank about 9 hours ago and they are both just sitting in the same spot? Are they dead? Is there a way to tell if they are still alive? Is this normal? They are AstraeTurbo Snails, at least that's what the receipt says on it.

Thanks for any imput>?

Remember when I got my Turbo snail, I drop it in the tank after more than 3 hours of acclimination (it is moving during acclimination). The I drop it in the tank, it is not moving for 10 min, so I pick it up again and drop it back to the water, it start to move. Remember, better not to put them upside down.

But I think in 9 hours and they are not moving, there should be having some problems.

Take it out of the water and take a wiff of it. If you get the worst smell you've ever smelled before, it's dead. If not, then it's alive :)

• Haha 1

Well when I woke up today one of the snails was upside down and one of them started to move up the glass as soon as I turned the light on. The one that started to move up the glass got about 5 - 6 inches and sucked up his body into the shell and has just been laying there for several hours. I also tipped the one back over that was on his top. Well at least they where cheap. (Does smelling them to see if they are dead work?)

If I notice a snail has not moved for over a day I just throw him out!

I have done the smell test before and OMG USFNano's advice "If you get the worst smell you've ever smelled before, it's dead. If not, then it's alive." is spot on.

MillerLite

Why are you having problems with your snails. I usually acclimate mine 15-30 min and then place them in the tank. Usually I hold it in the water until they come out and attach to the glass. I would assume that there is either something wrong with the snails at the lFS or there is something wrong with your water . Check the salinity at LFS versus salinity at home. Are you having any other losses in your tank? Do you have hermits? If the snail is dying or dead the hermits will get him.

MillerLite

Yes, I acclimated them for about a half hour putting a little water at a time into the bag then putting them in? Salinity was pretty close from thier tank to mine though. Haven't have any thing else die in this tank, and I do have some little red legged crabs. I am not sure what kind of crabs they are but they aren't bothering the one snail. The other one is cruising all over the place now though. How long should I leave the other one in the tank before I should just throw him away?

Thanks.

I just got 3 mexican turbos. One of them took to the glass the min I put it in. The other 2 nothing. I took one out to see if I couls see if it was still alive and it sucked back into its shell. After putting it back in it to took to the glass, the third still no movement. I then took it out the same as the other and it moved very very little. I let him be overnight and it still did not move any. I then gave him the boot as I did not want him to pollute my tank.

I also had 3 in the beginning and 1 didn't make it. If you have a fine grain sand i have read they sometimes do not like to crawl over it, something about being hard to move across it. You might try setting them on the rocks. I usually just hold them next to the glass for a few seconds until they come out and latch onto it and off they go.

WooHoo,,

Well that last batch of snails sucked. I went to a different lfs today and got 4 Astrea snails and 4 Bumblebee snails they had and all came out and are cruising all over. I was reall amazed at how fast the astrea snails can clean the glass, I put all four of those on one side and the others on the other side. The side that i put the astreas on is all clean where they have went. Pretty cool, I can see them actuall eat the algae on the glass. Thanks for the info folks.

Jerry

MillerLite

Hey Jerry, if he is not out by now, then I would ditch him. Freeze him just to make sure he is dead. I'm surprised that your hermits havent taken an interest in him yet. A $3 snail is definitely not worth polluting your tank. I would lose him...

JUst my 2 cents, if the person at the LFS trys to peel the snails off the glass to sell them to you. they could end up damaging them.

I have had mixed results with my snail purchases and i acclimate them for a fair amount of time, like an hour before adding them to the tank.

Guy

AReeferIsExpensive

i personally always always ask for the snails that are on the glass b/c they are the ones walking around and moving, so i know that they are healthy. ... I dont think pulling them off is very harmful b/c if it is unconfortable enough to hurt them, they will retract~

Originally posted by AReeferIsExpensive

yea..in my tank you know if a snail is dead b/c you see hermits playing tug-of-war w/ the body~

LOL, so true.

The smell thing definately works, if you think a snail is dead pull it out and smell it, no mistaking if they're dead or not.

MillerLite

I agree with reefer. I only purchase snails and other inverst that are actively moving/working. If the snail is just lying on the sand or are closed up, dont take them. Ask for the ones that are currently eating from glass or at the very least, are moving.

• 15 years later...

I have a snail and just got it last night it hasnt moved apart from rolling over I pulled it out but didnt smell well nt to me anyway any other way to tell and I also tried pulling it out then put back in and put it by the glas and nfn bt he doesnt hang out or anything wen I close him

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2019 at 11:57 AM, ajkochev said:

Ahhhhh, the smell of dead snail..

Snail is awful.  Dead anemone is the only thing that beats it.....as far as I know.  You can't even bleach the smell off your hands if you touch it.

• Haha 1