Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jims temperate pico

fullmonti

Nothing yet, new ice probe should be here any day. I did get the other two prototype LED lights. They each are a little over 7" long with 10 LEDs each, two different combos of LEDs for two different spectrums. I'll be calling Stuart at Cold Water Marine soon to see what livestock he has in that would be good to start with!!! When there are some corals in the tank I'll be able to see what color combo will be best.

A side note. I'm working on another tank also. The other one is a 28" diameter shallow cylinder tank. It will be set up for a largish anemone & pair of clowns, maybe a couple small gobies too. Been working on the stand last few days. I'll be starting a build thread on it very soon, maybe tomorrow.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang you I was hopeing for pictures!

You know I have been toying with a big round tank, I was thinking coffee table/end table.
Make sure you let us see what you do for a stand.

Nothing yet, new ice probe should be here any day. I did get the other two prototype LED lights. They each are a little over 7" long with 10 LEDs each, two different combos of LEDs for two different spectrums. I'll be calling Stuart at Cold Water Marine soon to see what livestock he has in that would be good to start with!!! When there are some corals in the tank I'll be able to see what color combo will be best.

A side note. I'm working on another tank also. The other one is a 28" diameter shallow cylinder tank. It will be set up for a largish anemone & pair of clowns, maybe a couple small gobies too. Been working on the stand last few days. I'll be starting a build thread on it very soon, maybe tomorrow.

Yeah, I talked to Nick today @ Build My LED about maybe doing a couple of 6" builds for me, and he was quite open and helpful (nice guy...), and he also mentioned that he did 2 more prototypes for you (you lucky bastard! ;) )....so where are the pics? :P

I keep hoping you are going to do several cold-water anemones, but what were you planning?

Looking forward to the new build thread too! :)

Question about temperate photosynthetic inverts (like the nems found of washingtons coast). Do they require the intense lighting required by there tropical cousins? Seems like since they come from further north, the sun would usually hit them with much less intensity....

I hate to be that person who asks because I know we never really enjoy talking about costs, but I'm DYING to know how much this custom build costed you? I'm sure I'm not the only one either! I would love put my paper designs into reality, but I'm always afraid to just ask some random acrylic company to build me a tank, and most of the time they wont give you the light of day unless they know you have money to drop on it right that second. As a college student I have to save up money to do the thingsI want,anditwould be awesome to just at least get a ball park idea on what something like this costs.

Please and thank you!

Yeah, I talked to Nick today @ Build My LED about maybe doing a couple of 6" builds for me, and he was quite open and helpful (nice guy...), and he also mentioned that he did 2 more prototypes for you (you lucky bastard! ;) )....so where are the pics? :P

I keep hoping you are going to do several cold-water anemones, but what were you planning?

Looking forward to the new build thread too! :)

Once in a while you manage to be in the right place at the right time. For once that person was me. I just happen to suggest to them at Build My LED they should consider offering smaller units for the nano & pico builders, at a time when they must have been thinking of it anyway. Pix of new ones to come.

Yes was planing on the little strawberry nems, the small green jewel nems & a couple of the larger ones, plus what ever other small critters would fit in a small tank.

Question about temperate photosynthetic inverts (like the nems found of washingtons coast). Do they require the intense lighting required by there tropical cousins? Seems like since they come from further north, the sun would usually hit them with much less intensity....

It is my understanding the tide pool/shallow water ones are partly photosynthetic. They will live with little light if you feed them, but I'm guessing their colors would not be as good. I will find out because i'm planning on getting one of the green surf anemones & not having a very bright light. I'll try to get him to settle in at the top & see how he does.

I hate to be that person who asks because I know we never really enjoy talking about costs, but I'm DYING to know how much this custom build costed you? I'm sure I'm not the only one either! I would love put my paper designs into reality, but I'm always afraid to just ask some random acrylic company to build me a tank, and most of the time they wont give you the light of day unless they know you have money to drop on it right that second. As a college student I have to save up money to do the thingsI want,anditwould be awesome to just at least get a ball park idea on what something like this costs.

Please and thank you!

No problem. Yes the thick acrylic is pretty pricy. This little tank was quoted at $250 with me doing all the edge finishing work. I had gotten quotes for a 20gal cube made with 1" acrylic from $450 to $650 still with me doing the edges. I was once again lucky and managed to do a trade for the tank.

I'm definitely not rich & if it wasn't for some good luck this project would not be this far along right now. Two ice probes & a Reef Keeper lite was another chunk, especially for a 3gal tank.

If you want info about acrylic tanks talk to James at Envision Acrylics. He build this one & the up coming cylinder tank. A very nice, knowledgable & helpful person. I found him through RC DIY thread he has offering help with acrylic projects.

After seeing his work I definetly will!

And I know about the RKL and ice probe! I run both on my 6.2 gallon. That tank and all the equipment was 669.99!

OK I just posted the start up on the cylinder anemone tank, for those who ask about it.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/320221-jims-nem-tank/

Still waiting on the mounting nuts for the two longer LED lights (just now mailed to me).

First batch of livestock should be arriving late this week!!!! A good variety CUC a few nems & maybe a Catalina Goby.

Very excited

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some pix of the new livestock. Stuart at Coldwater Marine really did good!!! There is a Catalina Goby but he only comes out to catch a piece of food & only if he can't see me.

FTS3-1-13_zpsae1d71e0.jpg

FTS taken under the new full spectrum 8" fixture. Didn't mess with the color at all! Just auto white balance on the camera. First time I've ever taken a photo with LEDs that looked like it did in person.

The rest of the photos were taken with off camera flash, so no movement blur & more depth of field.

nemampredfootsnail_zps76855fa5.jpg

I've been rubber banding some nori to the big barnacle shell for who ever likes it, mostly the snails.

tallnems_zpsf8422f8e.jpg

tanamppinknem_zps45c555e7.jpg

macroalgae_zpsad81121f.jpg

shrimp_zps90e7a4a5.jpg

pinkampwhitenem_zps959d0cae.jpg

strawberries_zps9a38fdc8.jpg

Been learning what & how often they all like to eat. Oysterfeast, Phyto, Cyclopeeze & Mysis. Feed some of each every day, so far they seem to be happy. Been doing a i gallon WC every week for last two weeks, will check nitrates tomorrow to see how thats holding.

Bout it for now

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

No problem. Yes the thick acrylic is pretty pricy. This little tank was quoted at $250 with me doing thng all the edge finishing work. I had gotten quotes for a 20gal cube made with 1" acrylic from $450 to $650 still with me doing the edges. I was once again lucky and managed to do a trade for the tank.

I'm definitely not rich & if it wasn't for some good luck this project would not be this far along right now. Two ice probes & a Reef Keeper lite was another chunk, especially for a 3gal tank.

If you want info about acrylic tanks talk to James at Envision Acrylics. He build this one & the up coming cylinder tank. A very nice, knowledgable & helpful person. I found him through RC DIY thread he has offering help with acrylic projects.

I fully understand how the thicker you go with acrylic the more you spend! 3 gallon for $250 plus two ice probes already places you at $122.99 per probe and the RKL at $119.00 that places your beautiful tank at $614.98 and I'm not including your gorgeous LED lights.

I'm really impressed with what you have conjured up! And this is coming from me, the designer of the first PICO 2 gallon temperate system that went live to the masses!

Mike Guerrero

Thank You!

I probably spend way, way to much time thinking about how to put things together. It's a good thing I don't have a lot more money or I'd have the equivalent of a public aquarium at my house.

I don't know if you put it together or not, but I bought the ice probes & RKL from you. I am so grateful for what you & the guys at Coldwater Marine did making it possible for those of us that don't live near a cold water coast to have a temperate tank.

Jim

Awesome! It looks so clean. I always had trouble with cyano in my temperate tank. :(

Thanks & I'm sure there is plenty of time for some unwonted pests to show up in this tank too. Fingers crossed!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thank You!

I probably spend way, way to much time thinking about how to put things together. It's a good thing I don't have a lot more money or I'd have the equivalent of a public aquarium at my house.

I don't know if you put it together or not, but I bought the ice probes & RKL from you. I am so grateful for what you & the guys at Coldwater Marine did making it possible for those of us that don't live near a cold water coast to have a temperate tank.

Jim

Thanks & I'm sure there is plenty of time for some unwonted pests to show up in this tank too. Fingers crossed!

Was that you that purchased that from us? I couldn't remember but it just dawned on me that it was you! I really appreciate your loyalty to our site and supporting us!

We sponsors love this hobby and we can not survive without your guys!

I really love your tank and how you made it come alive using the Micro-Reefs mind! I salute you!

Mike Guerrero

p.s

I have been away from business in the cold water arena for some time and as soon as I saw your thread and how expensive these beauties can get, I placed our 3/8 inch 2 gallon system on sale for one lucky reefer!

For $299.99 it goes shipped anywhere in the United States and you get the 1 gallon Micro-Reefs Glass tank also for free!

That is a grand total of $90.99 in pure savings!

Waiting to see who does it, own your very own 2 gallon temperate complete system for under $300 bucks complete!

Very nice setup!

/subscribed

Officially starting my own CW tank too so I'm sure I'll be coming back to reference yours and take a look at the progress :).

AquaticEngineer

WOW! Loving the tank!

We are going out collecting on Sunday, if I find any exceptional looking sitka shrimp I will let you know because the one you have looks phenomenal in there. Gotta get you one of each color morph now ;)

Those Strawberry Nems are my favorite. The liverock tower is also stunning. Way to think outside the box on this build.

I've always wanted a temperate tank. I wonder what the min size tank would be to house a few Japanese Lumpsuckers?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Those Strawberry Nems are my favorite. The liverock tower is also stunning. Way to think outside the box on this build.

I've always wanted a temperate tank. I wonder what the min size tank would be to house a few Japanese Lumpsuckers?

I created the 6.2 AIO temperate system for the Japanese Lumpsuckers! :)

Archived