Veng

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

Hahaha, so what you're saying is I need to buy a great big tank so I can grow corals so it can pay for it's self?

metrokat

My tank is a great little one. It is a nano after all. But yes, it is paying for itself. I have sold twice as much coral as I have bought. And it is not even a year old yet. I still have a ways to go before the full value of the investment is recovered but this pace is great.

• Like 1

Veng

I've got a rock with about a million yellow polyps on it that I've been thinking of getting rid of, maybe I should try to move it.

Veng

Went out and looked at tanks and fish today. Seriously considering the 20L now... I think it's within budget for xmas perhaps.

metrokat

Thanks!

Veng

So I calculated out a 20L upgrade and a 105 rimless upgrade tinkering around today. 20L would be about 500$ w/ a new DIY LED light and a new AC110 and new dry rock and sand. A 105 rimless would be about 3500$ after light, stand, tank, skimmer, sump, pumps, and everything else. Might try to swing the 20L early next year or xmas...

metrokat

I say rent out the puppy. I'm a paying customer ready with money in hand.

Veng

Shipping sounds expensive.... how much money is in hand?

metrokat
Shipping sounds expensive.... how much money is in hand?

Hmm. A lot. Does he ship well? You have heat packs? I need priority overnight.

metrokat

BTW My cat was retired from rentals when he got more frequent flier miles than me. But he was always packaged with double insulation.

Picture%20011%20%28Custom%29%20129.jpg

Veng

Hrmm... he's got a heavy coat not sure if he'd want the heater packs or not.... air holes would be good though....

Veng

So I've been debating upgrading to a 20L for a while so I figured I'd make a post about my current thoughts and get some feedback.

The upgrade would be the following:

Equipment / LR:

10 standard to 20L

AC70 to AC110 (fuge) and AC70 (media + equipment) w/ low flow mods

1x Koralia 240 to 2-3x Koralia 240/480

Medium sand to fine sand

Back Rock wall to Black painted rear wall

Current LR to BRS reef saver kind of porous rock

RKL to Apex (full)

96W PC to DIY LED (more below)

DIY ATO using the Apex

DIY LED:

18" Makers heatsink build

3 clusters for a total of 12 RB 6 NW 6TV and 3 OCW

1-40W and 3-25W Inventronics

All controlled by the 4 0-10V dimming of the Apex above.

The Apex will move me from 4 AC outlets to 8 AC outlets that I'll control as follows:

1:Main Light Master

2:Fuge Light

3:Heater

4:AC70

5:AC110

6:Koralia 240/480

7:Koralia 240/480

8:ATO pump

So, there is the question of if the AC70+AC110 is over kill or not, but going with both would let me keep a lot more cheato (twice as much?) than if I keep the equipment in the AC110 as well. I'd also be able to keep the other equipment in darkness to prevent any algee growth on it.

The cost would be roughly 350 for the light, net 375? for the apex (assuming I sell my RKL), 70 for the AC110, 40 for dry rock, 20 for sand, 20 for the tank, 75 for powerheads, 50 DIY ATO or about 1K after some misc that I'm sure I'll find later.

It would be a lot of fun, that's for sure. Now to rent out the dog...

Veng

I found the harlequin out at the front of the tank today, so I snagged this picture of it sitting on a mushroom:

20121122_083429.jpg

Veng

20121122_091248_zps4aacb3a5.jpg

Doggie is on his way to Thanksgiving!

metrokat

^^^

Want!

Happy Turkey Day.

Veng

20121123_160945_zps9910f2d1.jpg

Lookie what veng got me! (Yes I stole his phone to upload the pic ;) )

Happy wife!!

*Will post better pics when we get home!

Edited by Veng

ZephNYC
20121123_160945_zps9910f2d1.jpg

Lookie what veng got me! (Yes I stole his phone to upload the pic ;) )

Happy wife!!

*Will post better pics when we get home!

gorgonian??

metrokat

looks like a gorgonian to me

Veng

Blueberry. It needs some TLC. And a couple of random zoa polyps, and a feather duster she didn't see was in the bag as well. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight

Veng

Tank hasn't settled yet and is still cloudy, but I snapped a couple of quick pics cause I'm tired and probably won't be up to do it later.

20121123_174112_zpse86c2243.jpg

20121123_174100_zps2ee162c7.jpg

metrokat

Cool. Lots of frequent feedings and maybe it will recover. The feather duster needs live phyto

Veng

Yep, picked up live phyto when I bought them. Hopefully it'll pull through.

jedimasterben

You can also use really small micron dry foods, such as Golden Pearls or even Reef Cleaners food goes down to about 5 microns. Feather dusters can eat up to like 12 microns or something close to that. Will definitely make it easier on you, but still dose live phyto. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets the same feeding response as live food.

jedimasterben
So I've been debating upgrading to a 20L for a while so I figured I'd make a post about my current thoughts and get some feedback.

The upgrade would be the following:

Equipment / LR:

10 standard to 20L

AC70 to AC110 (fuge) and AC70 (media + equipment) w/ low flow mods

1x Koralia 240 to 2-3x Koralia 240/480

Medium sand to fine sand

Back Rock wall to Black painted rear wall

Current LR to BRS reef saver kind of porous rock

RKL to Apex (full)

96W PC to DIY LED (more below)

DIY ATO using the Apex

DIY LED:

18" Makers heatsink build

3 clusters for a total of 12 RB 6 NW 6TV and 3 OCW

1-40W and 3-25W Inventronics

All controlled by the 4 0-10V dimming of the Apex above.

The Apex will move me from 4 AC outlets to 8 AC outlets that I'll control as follows:

1:Main Light Master

2:Fuge Light

3:Heater

4:AC70

5:AC110

6:Koralia 240/480

7:Koralia 240/480

8:ATO pump

So, there is the question of if the AC70+AC110 is over kill or not, but going with both would let me keep a lot more cheato (twice as much?) than if I keep the equipment in the AC110 as well. I'd also be able to keep the other equipment in darkness to prevent any algee growth on it.

The cost would be roughly 350 for the light, net 375? for the apex (assuming I sell my RKL), 70 for the AC110, 40 for dry rock, 20 for sand, 20 for the tank, 75 for powerheads, 50 DIY ATO or about 1K after some misc that I'm sure I'll find later.

It would be a lot of fun, that's for sure. Now to rent out the dog...

For filtration, keep the AC70 and invest in a CPR hang-on fuge and buy a cheap submersible, low-flow pump (not sure what kind, though). Will blow an AC110 mod out of the water without having to mod anything.

Everything else looks good. For the fuge, if you could figure out a way to keep light from exiting it (maybe paint the whole thing black) you can make an LED fuge light using four deep red LEDs and one royal blue.

Blueberry. It needs some TLC. And a couple of random zoa polyps, and a feather duster she didn't see was in the bag as well. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight

Good luck to you, then. Most people can't keep them alive when they're in good condition, much less bad. :/