SaltCritters.com

Filter Questions

Noonan

Once again I have totally changed my mind. First, I was thinking about getting a Nano Cube. I work at a LFS and after a long talk with the owner we ruled out that a JBJ Nano Cube isn't what I want.

I will be getting a 10 Gallon with Corallife Power Quad and I will be pusing about 96 watts (might be 93 I dont exactly remember).

I also plan on getting live rock and my substrate will be some of that live sand that comes in a bad and has a long shelf life.

What filter would be best for this tank? I was thinking about going with a Penguine. If I do should I run the stock filter media with the bio wheel?

Any info you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks.

No filtration except for a protein skimmer, such as an Aqua-C remora or a Prizm deluxe would be what i'd recommend. Let the liverock do the filtering.

I use an AquaClear 150. If you use a hang-on-back filter you can use filter media and run carbon. I would recommend that. But, your live rock will do most of the work. I use my HOB to help clear the water and for water movement. The carbon is nice also. Just get good carbon like Chemi-pure.

Even though your live rock will be great, a HOB filter is nice to have running.

By they way, I don't use a protein skimmer and don't see that you need one. But, everyone has their own way and it seems to work fine for them.

Archived