Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

?for gorgonian keepers

danimal1211

A couple weeks ago I got a clipping of a lavender bottlebrush from my LFS as a freebie. It seems to be doing fine right now, polyps are extending very well when the lights are on. Is there any supplemental feeding they accept? Even cyclopeeze seems too big for them. Also The clipping I got was from one of the branches and is about 2 1/2" long, about how long until it starts developing its own branches?

jedimasterben

Bottlebrush is photosynthetic. You don't really need to do anything additional to feed it. The reef cleaners filter feeder formula is good if you were determined to do additional feeding.

most photosynthetic gorgs dont rely as heavily on photosynthesis like corals do, a lot of estimates i see are around 70% or so, whereas some corals are up to 90.
jedimasterben

Photosynthetic gorgs can usually get whatever additional nutrition they need from the water column without targeted feeding as most of their needs are met by photosynthesis. When you feed your fish with Cyclopeez or other frozen and even pellet foods, some of it is tiny organic matter that will be filtered out by the gorg. I guess I could have been clearer.

i was going to edit and say that they can absorb most of the rest from the water column, but i forgot. :)

that being said, all corals benefit greatly from being fed, and gorgonians are no exception.

Archived