ReefCleaners.org

How big? Tank size options

Chamkeeper

I have a couple of options for tanks size. Which one would be the best? I have a 30 gallon, 36" long, I also have a 29H, 20H. I realize the 20H would be cheaper, on the $/gal concept, but in the long run would a bigger tank be better? I am aware that volume=stability, and we ae talking 50%. Should I just by a 10 and start over?

Go with the 30g long. I have a 10g, and am switching to the 30g long. The 10g really limits you, not just in terms of how many corals you can put in there, but in the variety of corals you can put in. I want more LPSs, but I already have a hammer coral. And you can't do some of them together in a 10g; they'll sting each other with their sweeper tentacles. Also, with a 30g, you can use overlapping 55w bulbs to give you a very bright center third of the tank and not-so-bright ends of the tank, which should, theoretically, allow you to keep a wider variety of corals.

I'd recommend you go with whatever one of the larger tanks pleases you the most. :)

The larger tanks are a bit more expensive to start with but I have found my 20T MUCH easier to manage that my 5.5.

Archived