ReefCleaners.org

macros in new tank

fraser112

Hey guys first time poster as far as i remember.

I got some live rock form a local shop. It had been in their tanks for a year or so. Not much red to it but it had a lot of life, I was wondering if anyone can identify the stuff growing on it. Im fine with algea growth if its not gona kill my tank

Cheers

Fraser

IMG_14651.JPG

IMG_14603.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

Thanks for the reply

what about the red? is that bubble or two small to tell ?

Im about 2 weeks in and letting it cycle.adding food here and there just to keep any bacteria from the cured rock going. not got round to grabbing a test kit yet. Should i do a manual remove then lights out of a bit ?

Id like to sort any problems before i get my cuc

cheers

Just to add it has a sort of grass like quality with some long strands. Its does not have the gloopy look or does that come later?

Leaving your lights off during the cycle is recommended. Everything that you described is normal and just part of the multiple phases your aquarium will go through during the first year.

Dan

Leaving your lights off during the cycle is recommended. Everything that you described is normal and just part of the multiple phases your aquarium will go through during the first year.

Dan

So why are we saying his tanking is cycling when he has cured live rock that has been in an established tank a year? If the rock was transported a long time out of the water sure there may be minimum die off but certainly not much. Personally I believe that you inherited someone else's problem. It actually looks like the liverock at my local Petco! Frankly the only thing you are feeding inside your tank is the algae. The rock isn't going to eat any food you put in. The bacteria (assuming cured live rock) would convert your food to nitrates which would only degrade water quality.

This is speaking from someone that tore a tank down do to hair algae. Why would you want to enter the hobby with rock that you have to win the battle over? And this is NOT the normal process of a new tank in my experience. Diatoms - absolutely. New tank algae - maybe a little. Algae outbreak? Shouldn't happen if you understand nutrient control. I think the exception would be cyano as that is more of a bacteria..

Sorry for the harsh words but sometimes we need a reality check. Welcome to Nano-Reef!

Dan

Exactly.

After your cycle a CUC could knock that out in 3 days.

Thanks for the info guys from both side. I got my test kit and my levels are low ammonia, zero nitrate and low nitrate. I think i may have restarted the cycle a tad because i left the lights off and took a propane burner to the major areas.(out of tank) Once the tank settles i will get a cuc and a decent sized water change.

Cheers again for all the replays.

Archived