Top Shelf Aquatics

Mike's Fluval Edge Build

OnTheEdge

So I have been running a Fluval Edge (my first saltwater tank) and it's been so stressful. I am currently done with the cycle and just trying to get the tank looking how I want it to. Currently, I am not happy.

Fish:

2x B&W Ocellaris Clownfish (under 1")

Inverts:

Emerald Crab

Cleaner Shrimp

CUC:

Turbo Snail

2x Nessarius Snails

Filtration:

Filter Floss

Chemipure Elite

Live Rock:

~4 LB of Pukani Rock (received a bunch of small pieces, not happy with aquascape)

Live Sand:

10 LB of West Caribbean Reef

Equipment:

Cobalt Neotherm 50W Heater

Koralia 240

AI Nano w/ controller (saving up currently :D )

Readings:

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20

FTS (Current):

IMG_1665.jpg

Where to start?...

You are using RO/DI or at least distilled water, correct? If not your screwed from the get go.

Current filtration: You don't need ammonia remover and ditch the sponge like you said. Use filter floss and change it out at least weekly.

Your ammonia should be 0.00 and my guess is that it is at 0.00 but the test kit is deceiving you. If your using the API ammonia test I have found that if I let the vial sit for much more than 5 minutes it will read a small amount of ammonia.

-At this point I would leave the sand bed alone and focus on more significant problems.

-Get some new live rock that you like and cure it outside your tank in a bucket or something so it won't cycle in your tank.

-Nitrate could be high because of over feeding, its a hard thing to balance in such a small tank.

-$300 on an AI nano is a GIGANTIC waste of money for this tank. Total overkill and at this point few if any corals would survive in your tank due to the water parameters

If I was you want wanted to blow $300 on reef stuff this is what I would do...

-Get rid of that stupid fluval edge tank and get something between 8 and 12 gallons AOI that is rimless and will look great but doesn't have such a small hole and strange lighting set up. (last I knew fluval didn't recommend the edge for saltwater, I think it says that right on the box)

-Get some larger pieces of LR. Probably 8 pounds worth.

-Keep the tank bare bottom. Trust me, its infinitely easier to keep the water parameters in check when you can low the waste to one side of the tank and suck it out instead of having it get stuck in the sand and decompose

-PAR30 or PAR38 bulb for corals.

-A nano media reactor may help you out with water parameters.

Where to start?...

You are using RO/DI or at least distilled water, correct? If not your screwed from the get go.

Current filtration: You don't need ammonia remover and ditch the sponge like you said. Use filter floss and change it out at least weekly.

Your ammonia should be 0.00 and my guess is that it is at 0.00 but the test kit is deceiving you. If your using the API ammonia test I have found that if I let the vial sit for much more than 5 minutes it will read a small amount of ammonia.

-At this point I would leave the sand bed alone and focus on more significant problems.

-Get some new live rock that you like and cure it outside your tank in a bucket or something so it won't cycle in your tank.

-Nitrate could be high because of over feeding, its a hard thing to balance in such a small tank.

-$300 on an AI nano is a GIGANTIC waste of money for this tank. Total overkill and at this point few if any corals would survive in your tank due to the water parameters

If I was you want wanted to blow $300 on reef stuff this is what I would do...

-Get rid of that stupid fluval edge tank and get something between 8 and 12 gallons AOI that is rimless and will look great but doesn't have such a small hole and strange lighting set up. (last I knew fluval didn't recommend the edge for saltwater, I think it says that right on the box)

-Get some larger pieces of LR. Probably 8 pounds worth.

-Keep the tank bare bottom. Trust me, its infinitely easier to keep the water parameters in check when you can low the waste to one side of the tank and suck it out instead of having it get stuck in the sand and decompose

-PAR30 or PAR38 bulb for corals.

-A nano media reactor may help you out with water parameters.

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I will be staying with the fluval edge due to weight constraints (glass desk).

The big problem here was that I started with water from a faulty RO unit and it measured at 180 TDS. I have since then been doing water changes with distilled water as I want for my RO/DI unit.

Filtration: I will be using the filter floss w/ chemipure and purigen.

I really am in need of a new sand bed because the powerhead makes a huge mess. I do not want to have to deal with this problem later. I can just quarantine the fish/inverts for now just to make sure a new cycle doesn't smart/affect water parameters.

I'm really not trying to go BB for now, I'm going to purchase new sand and see how that goes from here.

The only reason I'm planning on investing in an AI nano is because of the simplicity and the all in one system. I am keeping the tank at 82 degrees to avoid sway. I plan to upgrade to a cube sometime in the future. I would invest in a huge tank but I can't be bothered to brake it all down when I go to college.

I will probably just stay with the live rock for now and see how it goes.

If all hell breaks loose, I'll just cut the top of the edge off and create my own rimless tanks.

if you dont move the powerhead to a better place will continue rolling over the sand no matter what type of sand is

:happy:

Thanks for the suggestion!

I am going to do some changes to the tank this week (glue live rock together and replace the sand). The real way I messed up was I removed the rocks and chunky part of the sand because I didn't like the look. Thanks, I will change the position of the powerhead. Maybe on the side? Maybe two?

I am going to do some changes to the tank this week (glue live rock together and replace the sand). The real way I messed up was I removed the rocks and chunky part of the sand because I didn't like the look. Thanks, I will change the position of the powerhead. Maybe on the side? Maybe two?

on the left or right will be better, it all depends on how strong your powerhead is,what kind of power head is? regular one or nano?

on the left or right will be better, it all depends on how strong your powerhead is,what kind of power head is? regular one or nano?

Nano 240 GPH

What do you mean about removing the rock.

What do you mean about removing the rock.

The Bohemia pink sand I have had these small rocks in it and they were always exposed due to the flow so I removed them :angry: Didn't really think about it.

I also have the edge, but the 12 Gal version, and must say the top is a big issue for lighting and getting maintenance done. You have otherwise a cool tank. I removed the top and to keep the looks, glued 2x 1"by10" glass strips on the top to hold the light canopy, and it looks pretty cool. I ran purigen as floss, but don't really buy all the hype they say it is. I am more of a fan of Chemipure, which will keep your water as clean as needed.

Just save as much tank water as possible(move it to the spare tank), replace the sand(use live),add more live rock, and put the saved water back in.

You will have a micro cycle, which should be over in a week or so due to the new sand. Try to get a reliable water source for wc's and top offs. Other than that, I don't see why you would get rid of your tank. There are many successful edge reef tanks out there. The fish store I go to has one that has been running for 4 years and its beautiful, loaded with corals. If you need help with mods for your tank such as removing the top, upgrading lights, there's lots of help online. Good luck!

I also have the edge, but the 12 Gal version, and must say the top is a big issue for lighting and getting maintenance done. You have otherwise a cool tank. I removed the top and to keep the looks, glued 2x 1"by10" glass strips on the top to hold the light canopy, and it looks pretty cool. I ran purigen as floss, but don't really buy all the hype they say it is. I am more of a fan of Chemipure, which will keep your water as clean as needed.

Just save as much tank water as possible(move it to the spare tank), replace the sand(use live),add more live rock, and put the saved water back in.

You will have a micro cycle, which should be over in a week or so due to the new sand. Try to get a reliable water source for wc's and top offs. Other than that, I don't see why you would get rid of your tank. There are many successful edge reef tanks out there. The fish store I go to has one that has been running for 4 years and its beautiful, loaded with corals. If you need help with mods for your tank such as removing the top, upgrading lights, there's lots of help online. Good luck!

I'll see how this top thing works, it it doesn't ill just turn it into a rimless (kind of defeats the purpose of an edge). I guess I'll skip the purigen for now. I actually will be using a BRS 5 Stage RO/Di unit for drinking water (only RO water for drinking)/anything tank related. The amount of people with edges is getting larger. I am really set on the AI nano due to simplicity. I might do a sump on my tank in the future if the money is there.Thanks for the help!

I'll see how this top thing works, it it doesn't ill just turn it into a rimless (kind of defeats the purpose of an edge). I guess I'll skip the purigen for now. I actually will be using a BRS 5 Stage RO/Di unit for drinking water (only RO water for drinking)/anything tank related. The amount of people with edges is getting larger. I am really set on the AI nano due to simplicity. I might do a sump on my tank in the future if the money is there.Thanks for the help!

I personally like purigen. I have some in a pico reactor I made and it seems to work quite well much better than in a filter bag.

As for the AI nano; did you know that it doesn't even have a built in timer for on/off cycles unless you purchase the optional controller, ~$70. Not to mention the fact that unless you run it on the lowest setting you will fry your corals in such a small tank, and having the light shine through the glass part of the top is nothing but an in-tank algae scrubber, and not the good kind.

Seriously, just buy a par30 bulb with wide optics >60 degree. It will be ~$100 and put the extra $270 in a retirement fund or just give it to me if you really hate money.

IMO there is few things worse than starting off in this hobby with a fluval edge. Might as well hang a huge sign around your neck that says "I'm a huge F*cking N00B, and have no idea what I'm doing!" That's not to say that people haven't had success with the edge in the past; however, they are experiences reefers and the success is typically not that long lived.

I personally like purigen. I have some in a pico reactor I made and it seems to work quite well much better than in a filter bag.

As for the AI nano; did you know that it doesn't even have a built in timer for on/off cycles unless you purchase the optional controller, ~$70. Not to mention the fact that unless you run it on the lowest setting you will fry your corals in such a small tank, and having the light shine through the glass part of the top is nothing but an in-tank algae scrubber, and not the good kind.

Seriously, just buy a par30 bulb with wide optics >60 degree. It will be ~$100 and put the extra $270 in a retirement fund or just give it to me if you really hate money.

IMO there is few things worse than starting off in this hobby with a fluval edge. Might as well hang a huge sign around your neck that says "I'm a huge F*cking N00B, and have no idea what I'm doing!" That's not to say that people haven't had success with the edge in the past; however, they are experiences reefers and the success is typically not that long lived.

I guess what you dont see in the AI nano is reusability. If I ever upgrade to a bigger tank (won't be over 20 gallons until 10 years from now) I will have a device I can use to run it. The AI nano has dimming and everything included. When I end up upgrading I'm going to be left with $100 bulb and no dimming or anything. How would one mount a bulb under the hood of an edge? That just seems like a lot of salt creep. An edge is not much different than a 5.5 gallon cube. A lot of people love their nano and use it on an edge.

I agree the Edge is a bit more difficult for a first saltwater tank. As we pointed out, light and top could make things harder, but its still a tank that holds water just like any other. These issues will not prevent the hobbyist from keeping beginner corals or fish either, so I don't get the sign on the neck thing. Reading and trying to identify the needs of a saltwater tank are a must for the novice hobbyist, that I agree 100%, but once understood one can grow corals and enjoy it with no problems with Edge, Al nano, etc...... Seems like the issue here is around the aquascape and sand, and water source. Those being corrected it should be ok.

I agree the Edge is a bit more difficult for a first saltwater tank. As we pointed out, light and top could make things harder, but its still a tank that holds water just like any other. These issues will not prevent the hobbyist from keeping beginner corals or fish either, so I don't get the sign on the neck thing. Reading and trying to identify the needs of a saltwater tank are a must for the novice hobbyist, that I agree 100%, but once understood one can grow corals and enjoy it with no problems with Edge, Al nano, etc...... Seems like the issue here is around the aquascape and sand, and water source. Those being corrected it should be ok.

Aquascape: My real concern is if the rock structure will be ok for corals. Should I look into more flat pieces of rocks?

Sand: Once my LFS opens up (closed due to Hurricane Sandy) I will head out and grab 10LB bag.

Water Source: Last water change was done with distilled water and I purchased a new RO/DI unit.

Thanks for the help!

Sand bed has been changed last night, everything was put back in and looking good. I went with West Caribbean Reef Sand.

WHAT IS THIS THING IT WAS ON MY GLASS I TRIED TO GRAB IT PUT ITS SOOOOO FAST. Hopefully its harmless. Clown tried to eat it but I guess he didnt like it.

E0EC029B-952E-4105-B33C-1422E9DD113E-22013-00000FE92EB3BCDF.jpg

19EA7125-B8A7-49C8-ACB8-62CEDF0D1899-22013-00000FE93E572044.jpg

Any suggestions for a clean up crew. I'm in love with inverts, I was looking at maybe a pom pom crab, cleaner shrimp, some nessarius snails, and dwarf ceriths.

WHAT IS THIS THING IT WAS ON MY GLASS I TRIED TO GRAB IT PUT ITS SOOOOO FAST. Hopefully its harmless.

Its a Amphipod, Yes its a good thing

Sand change seems good so far nothing acting weird, snail has been calm for the day but was pretty active at night. Emerald crab is doing great and the clown is too. I will post pictures as soon as it becomes a little less cloudy. I put in a half unit of Chemi Pure Elite into the very bottom and covered the rest with floss. The flow is definitely slower. Should I remove some floss or just leave it?

Next thing I need is some more inverts and a better stocked clean up crew. Any suggestions? I really like my emerald crab and want some more inverts. I think I will be getting a small cleaner shrimp this weekend and I want to pick up some more stuff. RO/DI unit is coming in tomorrow :D . I was wondering if people clean out their buckets where they mix salt water in. I clean mine with tap water, does this have any negative effect?

For people with nano reefs: do you guys test using a reef kit (Calcium, Alkalinity, etc) or just the basics (Ammonia, Nitrite, etc)?

F3C76B8F-D95D-4460-8A6F-720EA5A4296B-23493-000010EA7502C268.jpg

5D60E400-3789-4DFE-B949-2B79E52CFFC5-23493-000010EA8D69D868.jpg

9C7C69BA-46EE-4170-AA13-52B303C6766E-23493-000010EAA6778415.jpg09823BE8-E972-4805-B69F-EC76BDF4B1A0-23493-000010EAB27A7894.jpg

9EFA17A9-9028-4208-A24A-F8A0AA099E52-23493-000010EAC184136E.jpg

79C53118-0E27-4159-AB08-B77A8A217925-23493-000010EAD30574A5.jpg

So this is the current aquascape after the sand change and I can deal with it not too crazy about it but it's ok. I was wondering if corals can be easily attached and if it is the ideal scape. There isn't really much flat area and just ridges.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the quick reply. First time seeing one so I was slightly shocked.

Questions:

Suggestions for a more efficient tank?

Is the Ai Nano a good buy?

What are hardy/starter corals?

Cloudburst2000

I also have a 6g Edge. I actually had to break it down because my nephew put a nice-size chip in it. I do plan resetting it up though when I get a replacement glass tank. I do plan on adding a couple more mods though. I successfully ran mine over two years, but it was not my first tank either. A hard newbie tank, IMHO.

Some pointers. Do not slack with weekly maintenance. It's a must for this tank. I would personally get rid of the clowns...clowns are too large for a 6g tank. Instead go with something like a tailspot blenny or clown goby. Much better suited to this tank size. And AI Nano light is way overkill. I would look at the Innovative Marine 8w LED light. It would fit in the hood and provide ample light to keep softies and lps. It is also way cheaper than the AI, and if you do decide to upgrade tank size in the future, it would work well as a fuge light so it would be reuseable.

Cloudburst2000

And I don't think an emeral crab is really suited to a 6g tank either. They can get aggressive and in a small tank that is a bad combo. I think you will have problems keeping other inverts with the emerald crab. I would ditch the emerald crab and go with something more suited to the tank size like a pompom crab and small group of sexy shrimp. A cleaner shrimp is not suited to a 6g tank either. Just because you can keep one in a 6g tank doesn't mean that you should. Cleaner shrimp are rated for about 20g. Sexy shrimp stay small and are perfect for small tanks. You can even keep several. Look at liveaquaria.com. They a very good source to see if your tank is large enough for certain animals. Look at their suggested minimum tank size. They tend to be pretty accurate.

Archived