Pod Your Reef

G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp Tank Build!

Islandoftiki

• 4 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Since I'm posting pictures of the other tanks, here's a picture of the 25 gallon tank. The mushrooms have just about doubled in numbers since I started adding them. Now I just let it grow out.

Chuck is doing great. He attacked the algae scraper as I was cleaning down near the entrance of his burrow today. He's getting a lot more territorial as of late, and he hits the feeding claw a couple times before he takes his food.

25794812-orig_zps3636638d.jpg

I may try adding some macro algae to the main display of this tank.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Here's a short video of Chuck posturing for the big white camera phone that I kept shoving in his face.

Islandoftiki

Ok, funny observation:

I've tried showing Chuck videos of other mantis shrimp, emerald crabs, shrimp and other prey with my smartphone and he's never really shown any interest.

Until the other day. I showed him the above video of himself and that got a big reaction. He came out of his cave and straight up to the acrylic and did a full aggression posture at it. This lasted for a couple minutes before he gave up and went back into his cave.

Pretty interesting that he was able to identify what was on the screen.

Islandoftiki

Thank goodness! After losing my littlest mantis last night, I was really worried that Chuck didn't come out of his den or eat last night.

It turns out he was molting. This afternoon he was discarding uneaten shell pieces from his den...

Islandoftiki

Well, in the past week, Chuck has two new tank mates. I removed the more aggressive damsel to make room for a yellow clown goby that a local reefing friend couldn't keep because it was eating some expensive LPS. The damsel went back to the LFS and was replaced with a tank raised true percula clown fish. I also moved my largest hammer coral from my 10 gallon tank to this tank and moved a large chunk of dragon's breath macro from my 7 gallon tank in case the clown wants something to host.

Within three hours of adding the clownfish, all three fish were hanging out together in a little group and have been hanging out together ever since.

Here's a new Full Tank Shot:

8ACA32FC-orig_zps2bd1beb1.jpg

Chuck in now eating after his molt. Here are a couple pieces of the molt that aren't really edible.

Dactyls:

19030CE7-orig_zps014ede53.jpg

Telson:

20400DE7-orig_zpse3644ec2.jpg

Here are the three fish hanging out together:

Islandoftiki

I found out why Chuck has been so reclusive since his last molt. His right raptorial appendage came out pretty messed up when he molted. This isn't an uncommon problem with mantis. Their raptorial appendages are quite large and have to fit through a small hole when the old shell comes off. His right raptorial appendage doesn't fold up proplerly and is missing the dactyl on the end (the striking surface). Despite deformity, he seems to be getting back to his normal behavior and his appetite is very good. I'm feeding him every day until his next molt. The extra food should force an early molt and hopefully give him back the use of both raps. It might take a couple molts to get it back to 100%.

Chuck was out of his den for most of the day yesterday. He was being fairly interactive and appears to be largely unaffected by his deformed raptorial appendage. He was nice enough to let me take a few pictures...

Right side dactyl missing.
3AE0675E-orig_zpsead2564e.jpg

This is how his raptorial appendage sits most of the time. It won't fold up nicely.
B22824E6-orig_zps4e7d2fa7.jpg

Here's a good picture that shows how twisted up it is.
78C52B70-orig_zpsdd6021f8.jpg

His left raptorial appendage functions just fine.

Islandoftiki

I think it gives him some character, cause mantis shrimp are otherwise rather dull, aren't they?

They're anything but dull. I guess it depends on the species or the individual. Some are very reclusive. Chuck will be reclusive for a week or two when he molts. Just before he molts, he gets really aggressive. He'll almost always come out if you knock on the side of the tank if he's in his den. Lots of mantis species are very interactive and fun. They recognize people and they know who feeds them. Chuck spends the majority of his day with his head poking out of his den watching the goings on in the house. He's very curious.

My G. Viridis that recently passed away would watch the TV whenever it was on.

Islandoftiki

Here's a tough shot to get, a full tank shot with everybody all in the same picture! Mantis, Clown fish, Yellow Clown Goby and the Azure Damsel.

B70F1A01-orig_zpsee960774.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
albertthiel

Since I'm posting pictures of the other tanks, here's a picture of the 25 gallon tank. The mushrooms have just about doubled in numbers since I started adding them. Now I just let it grow out.

Chuck is doing great. He attacked the algae scraper as I was cleaning down near the entrance of his burrow today. He's getting a lot more territorial as of late, and he hits the feeding claw a couple times before he takes his food.

25794812-orig_zps3636638d.jpg

I may try adding some macro algae to the main display of this tank.

Yes I can see that and they do multiply quickly indeed ... in fact in my 20 I added one that came in a a HH'er and in about 3 months I now have 9 of the red Actinodiscus ones ... and there could be more in the back of the tank that I cannot see unless I take the back cover off, which I may have to do as it is time for a real good re-scaping and cleaning of that back side I think ..

Nice collection of S'hrooms you have there IslandofTiki ...

• 1 month later...
Islandoftiki

Let's see. Time for an update. Chuck hasn't been taking food as per his usual self lately. I suspect he's going to molt soon. I've tried feeding him the past 3 days and he's come out, threat postured at the feeding claw, but not hit it. Today, I dropped a piece of scallop directly at the front door of his den. I'm not sure if he took it or the clean up crew got it. Strangely, all three fish were hanging out near his den this evening and he was inside. It seems like molting will be happening soon. He's harder to tell with his molts than my O. Scyllarus since he never closes off his den during molts.

Islandoftiki

Good news!

Chuck is cleaning bits of shell molt out of his den today, and I see that he now has two fully functional raptorial appendages. The damaged one looks like new again!

He's not taking food yet, but I suspect he's been busy eating his old shell and isn't hungry. His shell probably isn't fully hardened yet either.

Anyhow, he looks great, and I'm glad to see him back to 100%. Hopefully he'll be more interactive with both raps working.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

It's been way too long since I've given a good picture update, so here it is!

He's actually eating a piece of krill but it's hidden behind his maxillipeds. You can also see his newly repaired dactyl. Notice that the spike curves around a little, but it's otherwise functional.

BC751557-orig_zps76989c26.jpg

• Like 4