SaltCritters.com

G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp Tank Build!

Islandoftiki

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on 40 lbs of BRS Reefsavers dry rock. I think this will work out well. I'm planning to cycle the tank with ammonia and will jump start the cycle with some live rock.

I'll be using the carib-sea aragonite substrate.

+1

MeanGreenEyes

That is a gorgeous tank...I'd be to scared to go acrylic b/c of scratching...if the display was glass it would be perfect. lol

So legitimate question here...how will you be scraping coralline? I haven't cleaned it off of my sump, which is temporarily holding my mantis, because I am not sticking my hand in there. lol

That is a gorgeous tank...I'd be to scared to go acrylic b/c of scratching...if the display was glass it would be perfect. lol

So legitimate question here...how will you be scraping coralline? I haven't cleaned it off of my sump, which is temporarily holding my mantis, because I am not sticking my hand in there. lol

My main tank is a Micro-Reefs 10 gallon acrylic tank, so I already know scratching is not a big problem. You just use tools that are designed for scraping acrylic. I keep the acrylic on my tanks really clean, so it's rarely more than a quick wipe with a magnetic cleaner.

One major advantage of acrylic is that you can polish out scratches. My 2 gallon tank has a scratch in the glass where a small piece of sand got between the magnetic cleaner and the glass. That's permanent.

I polished out about 95% of the scratches from the tank when I got it. It only took about an hour and a half and it looks like new now. I kinda prefer acrylic.

Your sump is probably going to be a bit of work if you have a lot of coraline buildup. My favorite tool is the Kent Marine ProScraper II. They have a plastic blade insert for it that works well on acrylic and should be able to deal with coraline. Some people use an old credit card, but then you'd have to put your hand in there.

Why would you be afraid to put your hand in there anyhow? I don't think you'd have much problem with your mantis hitting you unless he's particularly aggressive. Mine just cowers in his burrow if anything is going on in the tank. Hmmm... Now that I think of it, I probably shouldn't clean the tank out right after eating sushi.

Anybody have any thoughts about what I should do with the fairly large rear chamber where the bio-balls used to be on this tank?

I could put some chunks of live rock back there, I suppose. I don't think I'm going to put chaeto in this tank. It just seems like it would be a hassle to keep it from getting into the pump. So far, the only thing back there will be the bags of chemipure and purigen. Are there any alternatives to bio-balls that work well? I'm thinking I'll probably just put a couple of large-ish chunks of live rock. The chamber is after the filter pad, so it shouldn't build up much detritus.

Anybody have any thoughts about what I should do with the fairly large rear chamber where the bio-balls used to be on this tank?

I could put some chunks of live rock back there, I suppose. I don't think I'm going to put chaeto in this tank. It just seems like it would be a hassle to keep it from getting into the pump. So far, the only thing back there will be the bags of chemipure and purigen. Are there any alternatives to bio-balls that work well? I'm thinking I'll probably just put a couple of large-ish chunks of live rock. The chamber is after the filter pad, so it shouldn't build up much detritus.

You could try Bio Chem Stars that have a large internal surface area in there or just leave it empty, or if it is large enough maybe a small skimmer ..

You could try Bio Chem Stars that have a large internal surface area in there or just leave it empty, or if it is large enough maybe a small skimmer ..

It already has a Tunze 9002 in the smaller compartment, so I'm covered on the skimmer front.

I guess we'll see how much live rock I end up using in the rockscape. If I end up using most of it, I'll probably just leave that back chamber mostly empty.

It already has a Tunze 9002 in the smaller compartment, so I'm covered on the skimmer front.

I guess we'll see how much live rock I end up using in the rockscape. If I end up using most of it, I'll probably just leave that back chamber mostly empty.

True and you can always decide later what to put in it ... maybe some of these

bio2.png

:)

So, what exactly is the story with bio-balls? Why are they universally panned? I think every single turnkey system sold on the market comes with bio-balls? What makes other types of biological filtration media superior to bio-balls?

I mean, it's a pretty simple thing. Lots of surface area for bacteria to colonize. Ideally it won't trap detritus and cause problems with nitrates. That's about it.

I was thinking maybe these: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-c...-2-spheres.html

They're unlikely to trap detritus and can be easily rinsed off in salt water.

Of course, live rock does the same thing, but would be more likely to catch detritus in crevices.

So, what exactly is the story with bio-balls? Why are they universally panned? I think every single turnkey system sold on the market comes with bio-balls? What makes other types of biological filtration media superior to bio-balls?

I mean, it's a pretty simple thing. Lots of surface area for bacteria to colonize. Ideally it won't trap detritus and cause problems with nitrates. That's about it.

I was thinking maybe these: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-c...-2-spheres.html

They're unlikely to trap detritus and can be easily rinsed off in salt water.

Of course, live rock does the same thing, but would be more likely to catch detritus in crevices.

If you have a prefilter you should be fine. If surface area is your thing most large fresh water tanks use pot scrubbies

2207179400026369651S500x500Q85.jpg

They go for a dollar for 5 i think if i remember and surface area wise they beat bio balls but i can not seem to find the numbers.

They are pretty popular on monster fish keeper and when you keep a 3 foot fish bio area is pretty important.

A few goodies from Marine Depot...

Black hose for the chiller and some plastic hose clamps. Chemipure Elite and Purigen for after it cycles and pair of extra long handled forceps for feeding, etc.

IMG_20121113_193851.jpg

Rock and sand coming from BRS in a couple days.

Making more water tonight. Should be close to full by the end of the evening. Then in goes salt!

You gotta love the peanut usage at Marine Depot! I save them :D Looking good. Can't wait to see this through.

Quick question, is it normal to mix salt water in the tank? I guess if you don't have a mixing bin larger than the volume of the tank it can be hard to be consistant with each batch (if they are less than the sum of the volume)

Edited by Summoner12

YAY! Lookin great! And as for the chaimber, why not make some kind of little drop in box so you can put a few things in there? I just made one out of eggcrate in my new fluval sepc (also a mantis build) and I like it a lot. With that I have CPE, some filter pads, and cheato.

I sorta have good luck with plastic 'canvas' found at Michael's. Same stuff you see at the bottom of GFO reactors.....

Below is a sheet I used to wrap around my AC70 uptake pipe. (zip ties keep it uniform) You could do something similar to a sponge filter you see on the intakes of pumps, minus the sponge, sorta like what you see in the pic.

C02EC044-59DA-4F2C-B5B1-BC40141DC910-18079-00000C1548011D2A.jpg

I also have some covering the exit of the InTank basket...

30F440AD-7F94-4A63-B6F1-79BE2B2416A8-29618-000011FD882A0379.jpg

TundraGuy on Reef Central's mantis forum suggested I build the back chamber into an algae scrubber.

Take a look at the back chamber when the tank is two gallons shy of full.

F56A8D99-orig.jpg

It rains water down in a nice even fashion. Add a couple submersible lights and build the algae scrubber under it. It's too much work for right now, but it's a neat idea.

TundraGuy on Reef Central's mantis forum suggested I build the back chamber into an algae scrubber.

Take a look at the back chamber when the tank is two gallons shy of full.

F56A8D99-orig.jpg

It rains water down in a nice even fashion. Add a couple submersible lights and build the algae scrubber under it. It's too much work for right now, but it's a neat idea.

What did you build the algae scrubber out of if I may ask ? Any pics ?

What did you build the algae scrubber out of if I may ask ? Any pics ?

Haven't done it, just toying with the idea. I think most folks are using that plastic grid material that is used in sewing. I'll play around with it in a couple months when I have time to mess with it more. I don't think it would take too much modification though.

Haven't done it, just toying with the idea. I think most folks are using that plastic grid material that is used in sewing. I'll play around with it in a couple months when I have time to mess with it more. I don't think it would take too much modification though.

Agreed .. no rush indeed needed and that plastic grid would work indeed .. you can make it into a roll/cylinder and put a plastic tie around to keep it in that shape and then put it in the space you have ... but that is just one thought ...

I thought this was pretty amusing. Last night I just did a rough estimate of how much salt to put in the tank to get the salinity in the general ballpark... 12 level cups of salt. Today I get home from work and the salt is all dissolved, so I fire up the salinity tester and put a couple drops on the sensor. 1.025. No way. So, I calibrate it and recheck. 1.025. Hah! Nailed it!

Tank is looking very nice. Can't wait to see it completed!

Thank you, Chris. I'm really happy with how it's coming along.

The big BRS order will be here Monday, so I will get started on the rockscape early next week. Not much else to do at the moment but make sure everything is running stable and all of the equipment is working smoothly. So far so good.

Stay tuned!

Awesome!

Hey, how's the weather your way? I'm going to try and ship you something (hopefully next week).

It's pretty mild here. Right now, temps are in the mid 50's.

It's pretty mild here. Right now, temps are in the mid 50's.

Cool. I was planning on shipping this week but then remembered that it was a Holiday Week. That being said, I'll try to get out something next week to you. Not sure about needing a heat pack or not (honestly not sure what type of heat pack to do). This will be my first attempt/test run at shipping corals :).