Cultivated Reef

Veganbrians wonderful plants

VeganBrian

When you have to put your tank out side. That is when you know your hobby has gotten out of hand. ;)

I have an avacado tree that is getting to that point soon. Its already pushing 4 foot. I started growing that because some one made the off hand comment they could never get one to live... Some of my house plants are a bit on the 'large' side of normal.

I would love to see the picture if you find it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a problem. My hypnea pannosa is tuning clear in ares and i keep clipping it off and it keeps spreading. :( I think its a nutrient problem its just very hard to keep everything happy a the same time. Maybe its time for a macro only setup? any ideas what it could be?

• 1 month later...

How is your Martians Rose doing? What are its conditions in your tank? Mine is coming back from a rough shipping, the pinks are starting to come back!

Thank

B

How is your Martians Rose doing? What are its conditions in your tank? Mine is coming back from a rough shipping, the pinks are starting to come back!

Thank

B

Mine is doing great. Its very bright pink streaks look awesome and has lots of dark maroon spots. Mines in low flow medium/low lighting. It seems to be a crazy slow grower. Mine hasnt grown much at all.

Mine is doing great. Its very bright pink streaks look awesome and has lots of dark maroon spots. Mines in low flow medium/low lighting. It seems to be a crazy slow grower. Mine hasnt grown much at all.

Same here, but the colors are ridiculous! Thanks Brian

B

looks good. I've noticed that I got some clearing spots when I stopped dosing iron when battling dino's. I stopped dosing everything except raising ph with baking soda. Also, test your phosphate levels.. The good thing about macro only tanks is you can heavily stock it with fish and they help feed the plants.

If you have an iron test check the levels on that as well. I noticed that my macro tank really sucks the iron out quickly. I am now dosing as I did with my fresh water planted tanks with a 2 part macro / micro formula. too early to tell if there was an improvement but I'll let ya know in a month or two.

Looking great! LMK when you're ready to trim that rose petal :)

Its trimmed and ready to go :)

I have tons of it.

looks good. I've noticed that I got some clearing spots when I stopped dosing iron when battling dino's. I stopped dosing everything except raising ph with baking soda. Also, test your phosphate levels.. The good thing about macro only tanks is you can heavily stock it with fish and they help feed the plants.

If you have an iron test check the levels on that as well. I noticed that my macro tank really sucks the iron out quickly. I am now dosing as I did with my fresh water planted tanks with a 2 part macro / micro formula. too early to tell if there was an improvement but I'll let ya know in a month or two.

I started dosing iron myself and everything seems to be doing better but now for some reason i have a diatom bloom. I did add a bunch of frag plugs so im thinking thats what it is.

Duuude! You have the COOLEST MACROS! Like the red palm? That doesn't even come up in a google search!

And the rose thingy!

OMG...

haha!

Hey Brian - how's the gorgonian? Did you move it up to the big tank (can't remember...)?

You are making wonder if I should include some macros in my gorgonian tank! B)

Hey Brian - how's the gorgonian? Did you move it up to the big tank (can't remember...)?

You are making wonder if I should include some macros in my gorgonian tank! B)

Hey!,

I did move it up to the display. I can not believe how much it has grown since i got it. It is so happy and healthy. I am having issues with my purple sea fan ATM though. :( The polyps stopped opening and had a thin layer of algae on it. I blasted it off and moved it to higher flow so im hoping it recovers well. The sea fan has grown a real lot also. I was surprised at the growth rate. :). Macros in the gorg tank would be sweet! I love macro algaes so i will of course say that haha.

Very nice looking macro tank! Did that yellow algae you were trying to identify do well for you? I got some of that from liveplants.com and it didn't survive for me. Just curious if you had better luck with yours.

Hey!,

I did move it up to the display. I can not believe how much it has grown since i got it. It is so happy and healthy. I am having issues with my purple sea fan ATM though. :( The polyps stopped opening and had a thin layer of algae on it. I blasted it off and moved it to higher flow so im hoping it recovers well. The sea fan has grown a real lot also. I was surprised at the growth rate. :). Macros in the gorg tank would be sweet! I love macro algaes so i will of course say that haha.

Yeah, I (and others) have found the Pterogorgia sea blades to be finicky long-term with regards to placement in the tank so that they get lots of light and lots of flow to aid in their wax-shed routine. They get covered in algae easily, and the ability to shed that waxy covering is meant to prevent fouling, but I think they stress easily if forced to shed too often. Some have reported that they do better if fed. Mine grew well for a time, but eventually started to wither after a year or so - hopefully yours does not meet the same fate.

Your other one is a Eunicea if I remember correctly, and they do very well if photosynthetic (not all in the genus are) - I think yours was similar to my giant one. Now it is time for you to get a few more! ;)

I am seriously considering trying some macros in my tank, but not sure which ones yet, plus a have a 5-year-old turbo snail that might like to munch on some, so I will have to choose carefully... :scarry:

Still want you to swing by again some time to see if we can take some good photos of my tanks so that I can do a new combined thread of the group too... fingerscrossed:bowdown::D

Very nice looking macro tank! Did that yellow algae you were trying to identify do well for you? I got some of that from liveplants.com and it didn't survive for me. Just curious if you had better luck with yours.

The Eucheuma? Most of it died off and its now maroon/red. I have a chunk that is growing good in the shadows with low flow. Hopefully it takes off.

Yeah, I (and others) have found the Pterogorgia sea blades to be finicky long-term with regards to placement in the tank so that they get lots of light and lots of flow to aid in their wax-shed routine. They get covered in algae easily, and the ability to shed that waxy covering is meant to prevent fouling, but I think they stress easily if forced to shed too often. Some have reported that they do better if fed. Mine grew well for a time, but eventually started to wither after a year or so - hopefully yours does not meet the same fate.

Your other one is a Eunicea if I remember correctly, and they do very well if photosynthetic (not all in the genus are) - I think yours was similar to my giant one. Now it is time for you to get a few more! ;)

I am seriously considering trying some macros in my tank, but not sure which ones yet, plus a have a 5-year-old turbo snail that might like to munch on some, so I will have to choose carefully... :scarry:

Still want you to swing by again some time to see if we can take some good photos of my tanks so that I can do a new combined thread of the group too... fingerscrossed:bowdown::D

Yea, i feed it filter food every other day. It was growing and now these diatoms are all over it. Well it looks almost like diatoms. Could be, because i added a bunch of new frag plugs in there and that sparked something.

I want more gorgs for sure, They are awesome! I need to get my bigger tank set up once i can get funding for it lol.

Theres a bunch of macros that nothing will eat or nip at. Im pretty sure any calcifying macro algae is not desirable to snails. Some that i can think of are Halimeda, C barbata, Codium, padina, shaving brush, mermaid fan, pencil cap, Galaxaura, violet flames. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head haha. I know turbos eat just about anything haha. Maybe a transfer is in order with that big guy. haha.

Yea, i feed it filter food every other day. It was growing and now these diatoms are all over it. Well it looks almost like diatoms. Could be, because i added a bunch of new frag plugs in there and that sparked something.

I want more gorgs for sure, They are awesome! I need to get my bigger tank set up once i can get funding for it lol.

Theres a bunch of macros that nothing will eat or nip at. Im pretty sure any calcifying macro algae is not desirable to snails. Some that i can think of are Halimeda, C barbata, Codium, padina, shaving brush, mermaid fan, pencil cap, Galaxaura, violet flames. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head haha. I know turbos eat just about anything haha. Maybe a transfer is in order with that big guy. haha.

I cut down drastically on my feeding of gorgonians due to increased algae growth from excess nutrients, and that is where Mr. Turbo came in - would feel bad about relocating him after all of this time... :(

My problem stems from my desire for non-calcified macros that are either red, blue or purple - heck, even golden brown (as seen in Rehype's new Caribbean biotope tank). Not sure these would make it in my system, but still willing to look into it. :)

If you want any more gorgs I can keep an eye out locally and can also frag some of mine. Joe at SaltWater Paradise also tends to get some in regularly.

The Eucheuma? Most of it died off and its now maroon/red. I have a chunk that is growing good in the shadows with low flow. Hopefully it takes off.

Yep...that one. Glad to hear yours is still alive.
SeahawkReefer

Amazing variety of macros... some common and some I've never seen... please please please PM me when you trim and want to sell :-)

-Aaron

Archived