ReefCleaners.org

Ecotech Vortech MP10 ES Dry Side Bearing Replacement Guide by NanoTopia

NanoTopia

Thanks Felicia, I am glad it was a help to you, let me know if you have any questions when you do the replacement :)

Threads like this are why NR is so great :) Will do! Hopefully the replacement will go smoothly since its almost the same as what I did tonight with taking it apart. I just hope the bearings come off easily after I place them in the freezer. I'll let you know if I run into any issues and how the pump sounds afterwards. Hopefully it will be much quieter since the tank it is on is in my bedroom and with as loud as it is now, its really driving me nuts!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm running into issues getting the old bearings off. I pulled off one of them really easily because it sticks out further and I could get a good grip on it. However, the second one doesn't stick out from the black cylindrical magnet as far and I just can't get a grip on it to pull it off. How did you guys get that one off?

Try a drop of bearing oil on the shaft between the bearings and the shaft. Place the bearing with shaft in the freezer for and hour. Pull the bearing unit evenly on all sides.

That one wasn't on that tight. I just couldn't get a grip on it to pull with any kind of force. I finally got it off by carefully prying at it with a flat head screwdriver. Luckily I was able to do that without damaging anything.

The MP10 is all back together now except for the glue. I want to make sure it's running problem free for a couple days before I glue the cover back on. It's running perfectly and is basically SILENT. I can hear a very soft humming if I'm right up near it, but that's it. It's just as quiet now as the MP10 I bought brand new. Good call on the cheap, quiet bearings Ben. This MP10 had already had the bearings replaced once with the ceramic hybrids and they were super loud from the start. Now it's basically silent!

Good news, so the consensus is the cheaper SS bearings are quieter? Then that's the way to go I guess, who knew, LOL.

The fix is a bit of a hassle but it beats buying a new dry side any day, glad it all worked out for you Felicia.

I will edit the first post with this information now:)

Yeah the SS bearings seem to be way quieter. Mine is almost silent and runs like brand new now. Not sure if the SS bearings hold up as long, but for only $20 including shipping, it wouldn't be a big deal to replace them down the road if they wear out.

The fix really wasn't that bad and DIY can be fun! It's also really easy with your helpful post! $20 and a few hours of effort is well worth it to save the cost of buying a new dry side.

jedimasterben

Yep, pretty much. The cheapest stainless/chrome steel bearings that have two rubber seals (this is the most important part to them STAYING quiet IMHO).

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Well, I replaced the mediocrely loud bearings on one of my MP40s and the chrome steel rubber sealed bearings aren't any quieter. They're actually a bit louder with the wet side disconnected.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jedimasterben" data-cid="4574308" data-time="1387128501"><p>

Well, I replaced the mediocrely loud bearings on one of my MP40s and the chrome steel rubber sealed bearings aren't any quieter. They're actually a bit louder with the wet side disconnected.</p></blockquote>

Weird! I wonder what the deal is. My MP10 is still almost silent with the steel rubber sealed bearings.

jedimasterben

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jedimasterben" data-cid="4574308" data-time="1387128501"><p>

Well, I replaced the mediocrely loud bearings on one of my MP40s and the chrome steel rubber sealed bearings aren't any quieter. They're actually a bit louder with the wet side disconnected.</p></blockquote>

Weird! I wonder what the deal is. My MP10 is still almost silent with the steel rubber sealed bearings.

My MP10 with those same style bearings is wicked silent, too. :/

Ben, maybe try some synthetic bearing oil, it should seep through the seal.

I played around with it for a while, changed the order of the metal washers and spring washer inside, and it is now quieter, however, as soon as I put it back into the case, it is back to the same noise as it was before. I think it is a combination of the magnet being very slightly off balance and vibration against the metal case. Le sigh.

I played around with it for a while, changed the order of the metal washers and spring washer inside, and it is now quieter, however, as soon as I put it back into the case, it is back to the same noise as it was before. I think it is a combination of the magnet being very slightly off balance and vibration against the metal case. Le sigh.

How long have they been running, my bearings took a couple of days to quieten down.

jedimasterben

How long have they been running, my bearings took a couple of days to quieten down.

Less than an hour. Like I said, though, without the metal case, the unit is quiet, as soon as I put it back in and add the pin spacer, it goes right back to where it was. With the MP10, it was silent as soon as the new bearings were on, but I'll check back in a few days and note the noise.

• 1 month later...

Well, I went to do this today. I got the dry part apart and it went down hill from there. Almost all of my screws are phillips head and they seem to be made of butter. Each one but one stripped out with out any effort. I have never had any screws do this with anything. looks like this failed on me.

Robert

Well, I went to do this today. I got the dry part apart and it went down hill from there. Almost all of my screws are phillips head and they seem to be made of butter. Each one but one stripped out with out any effort. I have never had any screws do this with anything. looks like this failed on me.

Robert

Do you have pictures of this?

How old is the pump?

Did the dry side maybe get subjected to salt corrosion. I have not heard of this happening.

Here are the pictures of the screws. I can't even drill them out as the metal shavings will go right to the magnets. 4 screws came out with no issue. But these others were so soft and the proper sized phillips was used. I have had the unit for a little over two years and have never opened the unit up.

Robert

DSC04024.jpg

DSC04025.jpg

DSC04026.jpg

DSC04027.jpg

High Robert,

It looks like a combination of the screws fusing to the body and poor quality screws. The dry side body is not a sealed unit and will allow humidity and salt in over time, this is likely what cause the screws to fuse. That along with poor metal quality on the screws didn't help matters at all.

Even if you could drill them out you would still need to find identical replacements for the screws, not sure if they are standard or not. I think in this case, well, if it were me, I would buy a new dry side for now (if you need the pump running on your tank), then deal with the issue, my guess is it's going to end up costing you more money and head ache than it's all worth at this point but if your up to it how knows.

This is the first I hear of this issue but I hate to say I am not surprised, when I pulled my dry side apart I was taken back by the poor quality and craftsmanship hidden inside...

LOL

12174437615_00ee720121_z.jpg

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered a new dry side. I guess i will have the bearings on hand for if the other mp10 goes bad. I just felt for the money those screws would be better quality. I have never ran into an issue like that before. Just thought i could save a couple of pennies. I guess the jokes on me..lol

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered a new dry side. I guess i will have the bearings on hand for if the other mp10 goes bad. I just felt for the money those screws would be better quality. I have never ran into an issue like that before. Just thought i could save a couple of pennies. I guess the jokes on me..lol

No joke on you Robert, generally these things are repairable, many people have done so in the past without issues. For some reason your dry side screws are fused and are difficult to remove, not sure why as mine came out easily. Try to keep the new one away from any salt spray like near a sump or fans that cool a sump or display.

Thanks to Nano and Jedi for the info here

Back in 2012 I ordered Stainless/Oil/Stainless bearings and they were worse than the original noisy ones

I'm going to try the Chrome/Grease/Rubber ones like Jedi linked but will get them from BOCA as they ship free B)

MR147-2RS

I hope this works out as I have 3 dry sides that need new bearings

Thanks to Nano and Jedi for the info here

Back in 2012 I ordered Stainless/Oil/Stainless bearings and they were worse than the original noisy ones

I'm going to try the Chrome/Grease/Rubber ones like Jedi linked but will get them from BOCA as they ship free B)

MR147-2RS

You had me excited but looks like they cost more.. and ends up being the same :P

You had me excited but looks like they cost more.. and ends up being the same :P

In my case VXB wants $16 for shipping, so 2 bearings costs me $30

I just bought 2 from BOCA for $24 with exchange

And anything up to 1lb ships free, so if these work out I'll be ordering 6 more

In my case VXB wants $16 for shipping, so 2 bearings costs me $30

I just bought 2 from BOCA for $24 with exchange

And anything up to 1lb ships free, so if these work out I'll be ordering 6 more

ahh they only charged me like $5 shipping.

Archived