Cultivated Reef

12.3 Gallons of zoas!

eddiecorrea

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. They are Candy Apple Reds. One of the nicest colonies I have ever seen. Incredibly bright.

Oh not those. To the left and under the CAR's

Oh not those. To the left and under the CAR's

Oh. No they are Pink and Gold paly.

• Like 1
Tank looks great man. You should let me know when you have 3-5 car's you can frag. So did you get a new camera yet?

The CARs growing out are for you. I'll probably cut another frag of them this weekend to grow out for someone else.

looking awesome Eddie! What are the 2 type of sand do you use? i was thinking going BB or going black sandbed.

One was Tahitian moon sand. I forgot the other one. I picked it up from my LFS and don't remember the brand.

• Like 1
dvsclownfish1

can you do a top down and closer shot of the AIO portion. And also explain how you built that portion. This is giving me the urge to try one myself but can't figure the AIO portion out good enough to feel comfortable. Thanks.

Haha hell ya. Thanks man.

No problem.

So I'm thinking of setting up an ATO. Im limited on space. Planned on buying an Avast Marine ATO that hooks into my Apex. I'm limited on space so my top off container is about 45inches from the tank. Straight up to the tank. Anyone know of a cheapish pump that will pump that distance? I'd prefer it not have to sit in the topoff container because I only want an airline to be visible and not a power cord to be running to it.

I know an aqualifter will pump 30".

can you do a top down and closer shot of the AIO portion. And also explain how you built that portion. This is giving me the urge to try one myself but can't figure the AIO portion out good enough to feel comfortable. Thanks.

My AIO is like any other AIO. 3 chambers one with the surface skimmer teeth where the water flows down through a media rack with floss, purigen, and carbon. Then under a baffle into the middle chamber which has the heater and Apex probes. It then flows over the last baffle and back into the display via the maxijet return pump.

• Like 1
Is all the acrylic on the interior of the glass or is the whole AIO acrylic and siliconed to the glass?

The AIO is an acrylic divider. It spans the width of the tank and seals off the AIO from the display. It takes up 3.25inches of the tank. The acrylic is held together with acrylic solvent and then siliconed to the glass.

• Like 1
Ok maybe it was just the angle of the pics that confused me about that.

The sides of the glass where the AIO is are painted black. Behind that is a box that hides all my equipment and still looks sleek.

I really can't run internal. My topoff container is a 5 gallon jug. That and I can't run a power cord from the apex to the topoff. Wife would kill me. I'm kinda hopin there is an aqua lifter type pump somewhere out there. I know peristaltic pumps can pump like 10ft but they only pump a few ml a min.

• Like 1

Im not sure. I used to drip kalk with a aqua lifter to my sump but when I swapped tanks to my aio the pump wouldn't make it to the back of the display.

Thanks for the clam picture, she's cute.

What are the zoas below the eagle eyes in this picture? They have a deep green center, orange skirts, purple rim?

IMG_0487.jpg

I love the puppes. Dachshunds are my favorite dog. I've had quite a few growing up.

Props for building your own tank ~ looks nice man.

No RTV-Black Silicone love? :)

Thanks. I don't like black silicone. Takes away from the tank IMO. I probably didn't need to run a bead of silicone on the inside but it gives me peace of mind.

Great tank, great pics and cute doggies!

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the clam picture, she's cute.

What are the zoas below the eagle eyes in this picture? They have a deep green center, orange skirts, purple rim?

IMG_0487.jpg

I love the puppes. Dachshunds are my favorite dog. I've had quite a few growing up.

Those are Fruitloops.

• Like 1
What thickness of glass did you use?

1/4

How much did you spend on the material to build it I wana upgrade to a big 10 gallon lol but ur realy motivating me to try to build my own

$45.

• Like 1

Archived