Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

On 2/19/2018 at 9:02 AM, markalot said:

It looks really really good.  White is the devil!   And these are mint only right?  I said Lime + Mint but I think I'm wrong about that.  'LED only' looks much better than my big fixture with the separate white and Lime LED channels.  Always improving :)   My last trick may be to send my old 6 bulb fixture to North Carolina ... maybe next year.  

It is all mint now. Lime was a start and now mint just makes it a grand slam. 

The mint color starts in the 415-420 range and then has a peak in royal. 

-D

• Like 2
On 2/19/2018 at 8:50 AM, DaveFason said:

One thing to note this light runs ZERO white LED. I added BEAM strips to add the wattage that is not used with the whites. 

Shows you how much the blue spectrum can effect PAR! 

-Dave

did you replace the white diodes with anything else?  Or are they just not wired up in this case?  Just curious. 

6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

did you replace the white diodes with anything else?  Or are they just not wired up in this case?  Just curious. 

After two tries doing this the vendor screwed up. So I added the beam strips in place of the whites. The whites are not even wired. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, reefinnewb said:

Great looking tank! I read all 58 pages. It was like a book. It had me happy, then sad, then frustrated. Well done. Makes me want to abandon my cube and go back to a breeder. I LOVED my breeder until it cracked and I lost most everything. Of course disaster strikes when you're not home... Keep up the great work!

Thanks reefinnewb!  You want a really wild ride check out my 150 thread.  A lot of the SPS originally in here are in the 150, and this tank was a hero in saving a few key pieces when I lost them all in the 150 crash.   

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Omg... blue beam strips <3  I WANT

Yea, they really fill out the blues nicely, broad coverage is key!

2 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

NO white?! I love it! 

And you can;t even tell, except that when you turn up the Mint the tank still looks good, when you turn up white everything turns brown.

1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

It is all mint now. Lime was a start and now mint just makes it a grand slam. 

The mint color starts in the 415-420 range and then has a peak in royal. 

-D

Thanks Dave.

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

After two tries doing this the vendor screwed up. So I added the beam strips in place of the whites. The whites are not even wired. 

It was worth the wait, even if it wasn't the ideal solution.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a month with the new light, running only LED (I did turn on T5's for these photos).  I have ramped up the lights and except for the leptoseris, which I had to move and then fortunately got shaded by Xenia, there were no adverse reactions from any of the corals.  I think growth has increased as well.  Torch coral is still in slow decline so I've started to run carbon to see if the leather toxins are the culprit.

UX7tDw9.jpg

I had to destroy yet another mushroom moving in to attack this blasto.  Shrooms, love em and hate em.

L9CkGEV.jpg

After removing the Xenia that had surrounded the lepto it appears to have completely recovered from a little bleaching.  Does not like a lot of light so now way over on the very side of the tank.

drcuty3.jpg

• Like 7
17 hours ago, markalot said:

After removing the Xenia that had surrounded the lepto it appears to have completely recovered from a little bleaching.  Does not like a lot of light so now way over on the very side of the tank.

drcuty3.jpg

I was given a frag of one of these and had no idea what it was.  I figured I would probably kill it so I did not try to find out what it was.  Its in my reef jar and doing quite well however.  Seeing how yours is encrusting I think I lucked out and put it in a good spot.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, vlangel said:

I was given a frag of one of these and had no idea what it was.  I figured I would probably kill it so I did not try to find out what it was.  Its in my reef jar and doing quite well however.  Seeing how yours is encrusting I think I lucked out and put it in a good spot.

Thanks Dawn.   They seem easy to grow, just don't like a lot of light.

22 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Beautiful progress as always @markalot, great to see everything has acclimated to the new LED-only lighting! 

Is that monti-cap in the lower left one long piece branching under the duncans? Wowzer!

Thank's Chris.  yea, that's a purple cap piece I laid down on the bare bottom in front and it encrusted before I could move it.  Purple caps are weeds, and this one isn't exactly attractive.  If it gets a LOT of light it will turn a very nice purple, otherwise it's mostly brown with purple hints.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I might have to trim soon. 

4gdxSea.jpg

Yellow centered blastos happy for now.  I constantly have to beat/cut/pull off the shrooms around it.

RDvC3Xr.jpg

atCVYC3.jpg

30 minutes sitting in front of the tank, this is all I got.  The dude can see me blinking, I swear.

PVTEqvh.jpg

vlBGHUA.jpg

s16U2lm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Clearly you're still doing something right in this tank 😁

I think one of the biggest long-term challenges in nano reefing is keeping up with the trimming. We work so hard to get them to grow, so we hate to cut them back. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Clearly you're still doing something right in this tank 😁

I think one of the biggest long-term challenges in nano reefing is keeping up with the trimming. We work so hard to get them to grow, so we hate to cut them back. 

Yep, I have this issue in both tanks.  I hate to destroy the natural growth and yet it's killing other corals.  I've got no gumption to trim.  :)

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, markalot said:

Yep, I have this issue in both tanks.  I hate to destroy the natural growth and yet it's killing other corals.  I've got no gumption to trim.  🙂

For me it's always the monticaps. I have to cut them back every couple months, or else just give up on ever keeping any other corals. 

Christopher Marks

I always love seeing your FTS's @markalot, they surprise me every time! Those monticaps really are out of control! 😅 

Since you have to prune back so often, what sort of tools do you like to use? Not sure if anyone has asked before or not.

12 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I always love seeing your FTS's @markalot, they surprise me every time! Those monticaps really are out of control! 😅 

Since you have to prune back so often, what sort of tools do you like to use? Not sure if anyone has asked before or not.

My Hands, a blunt instrument, nothing special.   I try and use the tongs to make a break in the caps but they rarely break where I want them too. 🙂 If I have to make a serious cut on a branch I use by Boston Aqua Farms cutters.  They rust up pretty fast but still work after 2 years.  Usually I'm cutting things out of the water with these.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Boston_Aqua_Farms_Stony_Coral_Cutters_Coral_Fragging_Tools-Boston_Aqua_Farms-BA1311-FIMTCP-vi.html

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Ah yes, I imagine fragging the monticaps would be the most frustrating and unpredictable of all. You seem to be quite zen about it all now, especially since you know how quickly it will grow back! Even 'bad haircuts' can fix themselves in time 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2