Coral Vue Hydros

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

1 hour ago, MortalWombat said:

Great tank and awesome photography skills! Definitely following.

1 hour ago, slowngreen said:

What do you shoot with @markalot

Thanks.  It's a Nikon D5500 and the best pictures are taken with Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens.  Topdowns are taken with the kit lens because it fits in the topdown box and I can't afford the big $$$ for a wide angle lens.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't know what you are doing but keep doing it?

The tank is stunning.

Not doing much of anything, that seems to be the key ... until someday it doesn't work.  :D   Since I've been more regularly dosing two part and KH has stayed above 6 the caps have exploded in growth, meaning I'm going to have to do some trimming at some point.  It's interesting how some corals can tolerate low KH by slowing growth and still looking good.  

In other news, the new light is here, and I haven't had time to put it up yet.  My goal is to measure PAR on the glass lids and duplicate as close as possible with this beast.  

NanoBox Retrofit.

39991412541_4a08fed5cf_b.jpg&key=b676591

• Like 5
  • Wow 4
6 hours ago, mystersyster said:

Loving the progress of everything Mark. Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are your nitrates at on any given day? 

Near 0, unfortunately.  I haven't tested in a long while, I will test in the next couple of days and post it here.  

1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

Congrats on TOTM! And the new light... :wub:

Thanks!

• Like 1

Getting this done.  @DaveFason

q9yQNolh.jpg

Airborn

EGWU3iwh.jpg

All those years ago the wife helped me line up the tank in case I ever wanted to hang a light. 

CFgf9Dxh.jpg

Now all I have to do is get the positive and negative right ... what could go wrong?

• Like 6

The tanks nerve center.  :rolleyes:

UPzzMY5h.jpg

FTS compared to the 150.  I am only running LED's.  T5 bulbs are installed but I want to try LED only for now.  With T5's on PAR is over 1000 so obviously I'd have to raise the light or back off the LED's.  

The color is really good, with the lime + Mint channel doing a great job producing a color very similar to the coral+ bulb.

5Pxq9DU.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, slowngreen said:

What bulbs you going to run?

I have installed 2 coral+, a blue+, and an actinic.  If I run any it will be the coral+ and actinic combo for a few hours a day.  The other slots are for storage.  :)  I had dave confogire the light for the maximum amount of flexibility.  I can run 2 or 4 T5's, or of course none.  The only coral in here that really benefits from T5 is the red goni.  It's not so much that it benefits but it's a dark red and looks very dark under LED.   It may morph colors under LED only, only time will tell.

• Like 3

One thing to note this light runs ZERO white LED. I added BEAM strips to add the wattage that is not used with the whites. 

Shows you how much the blue spectrum can effect PAR! 

-Dave

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

One thing to note this light runs ZERO white LED. I added BEAM strips to add the wattage that is not used with the whites. 

Shows you how much the blue spectrum can effect PAR! 

-Dave

It looks really really good.  White is the devil!   And these are mint only right?  I said Lime + Mint but I think I'm wrong about that.  'LED only' looks much better than my big fixture with the separate white and Lime LED channels.  Always improving :)   My last trick may be to send my old 6 bulb fixture to North Carolina ... maybe next year.  

• Like 2

Great looking tank! I read all 58 pages. It was like a book. It had me happy, then sad, then frustrated. Well done. Makes me want to abandon my cube and go back to a breeder. I LOVED my breeder until it cracked and I lost most everything. Of course disaster strikes when you're not home... Keep up the great work!

• Like 1