Cultivated Reef

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

Going for fish pics and failing.  The new Blenny (well, new 6 months ago) and Chromis are super shy for some reason but if I sit across the room, too far away, with a not so great lens, they all come out.

yxTiUia.jpg

zrHlqlj.jpg

lzc87vS.jpg

I did catch this, which I always enjoy.  

5URjrXK.jpg

Water cleared nicely from yesterdays maintenance.  The torch looks a tad happier but still not as large as it usually is.

J5XFdU8.jpg

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

New camera body, Nikon D3500.    The torch looks healthier at the beginning of the light cycle but looks like this near the end.  Not sure why or if I can fix it.

qLj9YH1.jpg

• Like 7
On 6/15/2017 at 0:47 PM, gena said:

Maybe it expands so much that it ends up touching something that has an even more potent sting than it? 

Tank looks fabulous :wub:.

Thanks Gena.  I've looked to see if the goni is stinging it but so far they have no touched.  Torch may have to go, I've got too much green anyway.

Still messing with the new camera.

zTBsz9f.jpg

A face only a mother could love? :D

H8On0dA.jpg

Y98BN6h.jpg

Happy purple Duncans.

83XZGLf.jpg

• Like 10
57 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Mark,

that tank is beautiful.

Thanks Greg.

In the process of ordering a new light.

--back--

t5 ballast 1

3 Nanobox pucks

t5 ballast 2

t5 ballast 1

3 Nanobox pucks

t5 ballast 2

-- front --

With the current tank I plan to run just 2 T5's along with the LED.  One T5 is almost enough, two should be perfect.  

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

Looking forward to seeing how this new light runs. Im looking to run something similar

It will be perfect :D as it's a mini version of what is over the 150 except that I can leave out 2 bulbs if needed (the 150 only has a single ballast to power all 4 bulbs).   I will have to seriously dial down the LED pucks to avoid frying everything.   The LED's alone will be plenty enough to light this tank, and if the new Mint LED's help make the tank brighter I won't need the T5's at all.  I like all the options this will provide.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
On 6/17/2017 at 9:03 PM, markalot said:

Thanks Greg.

In the process of ordering a new light.

--back--

t5 ballast 1

3 Nanobox pucks

t5 ballast 2

t5 ballast 1

3 Nanobox pucks

t5 ballast 2

-- front --

With the current tank I plan to run just 2 T5's along with the LED.  One T5 is almost enough, two should be perfect.  

1 hour ago, markalot said:

It will be perfect :D as it's a mini version of what is over the 150 except that I can leave out 2 bulbs if needed (the 150 only has a single ballast to power all 4 bulbs).   I will have to seriously dial down the LED pucks to avoid frying everything.   The LED's alone will be plenty enough to light this tank, and if the new Mint LED's help make the tank brighter I won't need the T5's at all.  I like all the options this will provide.

6 rows of lights over a 40 breeder? :blink: whoa! I'm sure spread won't be an issue here in the near future! Time to move SPS into this tank, yes I mean Acros. :haha:

What happened to your SunBlaster "hybrid" experiment? I noticed you put the BML bar back on.... 

On 6/19/2017 at 2:24 PM, micoastreefing said:

6 rows of lights over a 40 breeder? :blink: whoa! I'm sure spread won't be an issue here in the near future! Time to move SPS into this tank, yes I mean Acros. :haha:

What happened to your SunBlaster "hybrid" experiment? I noticed you put the BML bar back on.... 

Unfortunately I never had a sunblaster over this tank, just the NanoBox Quad and a single T5 unit ... forget what it's called.  It's done fantastic for jus tone bulb but I would prefer two T5's to brighten up the tank.   Naturally it's really starting to look great now.

FTS (note Aptasia farm in the upper right :o )  I put two small peppermint shrimps in here a month ago and haven;t seen them since, but the aptasia seems to be limited to the pump at the upper right.  I had placed a bnch of hollow fake rock in here before the shrimp to try and give them a place to hide.  Usually if the big guy eats em I see body parts floating around.  Also check out how well yellow centered blastos are doing at lower right. :D

HzuB2nJ.jpg

• Like 7
mitten_reef

Tank looks great, especially the blastos. I've been seeing a lot of nice blastos lately. 

Ohhh, so you're now having the T5 in the front and BML on the back? ?

Here's the 'sunblaster' t5 I referenced in the previous comment.   

9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Tank looks great, especially the blastos. I've been seeing a lot of nice blastos lately. 

Ohhh, so you're now having the T5 in the front and BML on the back? ?

Here's the 'sunblaster' t5 I referenced in the previous comment.   

Right, that's what it's called. :D Yea, it works great and has really made an improvement to the overall look.  I put the BML on the back just to give the torch a little more light, at it's lowerst dimming.  Hasn't made a difference but I've been too lazy to take it back off.  I think my torch issues were lack of feeding, it apparently needs a LOT of food.  

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

YELLOW-centered blastos?? I bet those are striking!  Tank looks beautiful of course!

Thanks.  Yep, stumbled on those years ago and have managed to keep them alive.  They used to be in my big tank under a LOT of light and after a year suddenly started to decline so I moved them in here.  For some reason they have become very sensitive to bright light.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank is looking sensational Mark :). I had quite a few pages to catch up on but it looks like you are getting great colour and growth. Your pics are awesome!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 8:23 AM, 4x5 said:

Your tanks are looking so good Mark. :)

Thanks Shaun, sorry it took so long to reply.

I've been busy, son bit by a dog really shook things up but luckily he will be ok with only a small scar on the lower lip.  

The tank keeps chugging along but it needs a water change.  The leather is fowling the water and a few LPS can't tolerate it while other corals seem to thrive in the smelly muck.  I added 2 peppermints months ago and I noticed all the aptasia moved to the top right of the tank (look at them!).  Sure enough I spotted one the last few mornings ... grown quite a bit, maybe big enough to be safe from jaws.

dLA1mwg.jpg

Check out these zoas.  They had some good looking ones mixed in with some ugly brown ones ... which are now turning blue!  Bad picture, you can just barely see them in the right hand frag.

9xxDnKI.jpg

• Like 8
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Looking great and hope your son is ok. 

New light will be out next week!

Thanks Dave, can't wait to get the light! :)

On 7/17/2017 at 11:09 PM, markalot said:

Thanks Shaun, sorry it took so long to reply.

I've been busy, son bit by a dog really shook things up but luckily he will be ok with only a small scar on the lower lip.  

The tank keeps chugging along but it needs a water change.  The leather is fowling the water and a few LPS can't tolerate it while other corals seem to thrive in the smelly muck.  I added 2 peppermints months ago and I noticed all the aptasia moved to the top right of the tank (look at them!).  Sure enough I spotted one the last few mornings ... grown quite a bit, maybe big enough to be safe from jaws.

dLA1mwg.jpg

Check out these zoas.  They had some good looking ones mixed in with some ugly brown ones ... which are now turning blue!  Bad picture, you can just barely see them in the right hand frag.

9xxDnKI.jpg

My sister got bit by a dog when she was a child.  She used Mederma on the scar for years and now you can barely see it (on her nose).  She still doesn't like dogs though!

• Like 1

Thats no fun getting a dog bite :-(.  I hope your son is alright.

Your tank looks fantastic.  That is funny (and kind of fascinating) about the aiptasia all moving up out of the peppermint shrimp's range.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 10:25 AM, Lula_Mae said:

My sister got bit by a dog when she was a child.  She used Mederma on the scar for years and now you can barely see it (on her nose).  She still doesn't like dogs though!

On 7/20/2017 at 1:49 PM, vlangel said:

Thats no fun getting a dog bite :-(.  I hope your son is alright.

Your tank looks fantastic.  That is funny (and kind of fascinating) about the aiptasia all moving up out of the peppermint shrimp's range.  

On 7/20/2017 at 3:42 PM, ml86743 said:

Mark this tank looks wonderful, hope your son is feeling better.

Thanks all, sorry for the very late response.   My son will be fine and the scar will be minimal once it fully heals.  Apparently it can take many months.

Latest FTS.  Torch has not changed, though it looks bad in this picture.  I will be removing it soon (I said that last time) since I can't make it happy.

Ptjvef0.jpg

• Like 6