Top Shelf Aquatics

The Zoa and Paly Club

kveekx

Looking for a few zoa IDs if anyone knows!

First pic is lime green skirt and mouth with a baby blue center.

Second pic is pink and purple center with brown skirt. Other is hot pink maroon (photo makes it look red/orange) with green mouth and green and brown skirt.

4EBDD4BB-9AB4-4692-A8A9-BA399862CB59.jpeg

AD7DCEB9-1524-44D3-B3F4-865F2A58DC95.jpeg

1 minute ago, exosket said:

Looking for a few zoa IDs if anyone knows!

First pic is lime green skirt and mouth with a baby blue center.

Second pic is pink and purple center with brown skirt. Other is hot pink maroon (photo makes it look red/orange) with green mouth and green and brown skirt.

4EBDD4BB-9AB4-4692-A8A9-BA399862CB59.jpeg

AD7DCEB9-1524-44D3-B3F4-865F2A58DC95.jpeg

Better pic of second below!

1B4D488B-2AF2-4E00-A487-66545F5C2340.jpeg

• Like 1

Few of mine.  The first and fourth pic is an unknown paly - I thought possibly nuclear death for a little while if anyone could help please?

2nd and 3rd pic are unknowns - now they are colouring up a touch they appear to be red and purple? purple mouth, red ring, bit more purple then more red??

ast is not my pic but most definitely my colony of red hornets mised with rastas.  About 10 rastas decided to make a break for it so are now placed elsewhhere i the tnak xx

243E0176-CF20-4992-8D9C-A0143EEFDDCC.png

6858E76F-DEFD-48B8-8F22-F8918B548E57.png

D24EB03B-F778-4BEA-BA07-D21785130A9B.png

B60029A6-E182-4344-85EE-2B45F1915F86.png

9E1184D4-D281-4A9C-959B-D321CCA888B0.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Curious if anyone has an ID for the zoa's in the upper left corner that have the orange on them?  I bough them from a fellow hobbyist but he couldn't remember the name..

zoas.jpg.d77849ca9271597f955a79a48162c266.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just introduced a zoa rock with very young polyps. They were open and bright at my LFS, but are very slow to opening up on my sandbed in my system. And when they do open fully, a crab will crawl around on the new rock and they will close up again, then take forever to open back up. 

Its been 4 days, the green zoas seem to be open more than the orange. Orange ones look like they are more stable on the rock where the greens gently sway in the flow. I’m very new to zoas and anything related to coral. I have an elegance and monti that seem to be doing fine. I’ve read it takes time for zoas to settle in no? 

Should I be concerned with my hermits? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to coral, and just bought my first setup last week.  It's an established fluval 13.5 that came with coral and tons of accessories. The guy I bought it from had downsized from a much larger tank to this fluval, so I believe some of it is years old.  I'll try not to post too many pics at once, but any comments or identification help would be greatly appreciated! 

20181013_091424.jpg

20181013_192652.jpg

20181013_192824.jpg

20181013_192440.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the Zoa Club.  My wife loves the different varieties and colors of Zoas, so she asked for teh following:  She wants one of my rock Islands to look like a flower garden.  She wants it covered with 3-4 different varieties that all grow into each other.  In the middle of the island, she wants a "tree coral".  When I asked her what she mean, she showed me a picture of an Garf Bonsai Acropora.  What are your thoughts?  Is something like this possible?  I'm worried about having too many zoa's on a single rock crowding and competing with each other.  Also, would the zoa's and the acro get along?  I need to keep her happy so she doesn't stop bankrolling me....😅

• Like 2
5 hours ago, curryfire said:

Question for the Zoa Club.  My wife loves the different varieties and colors of Zoas, so she asked for teh following:  She wants one of my rock Islands to look like a flower garden.  She wants it covered with 3-4 different varieties that all grow into each other.  In the middle of the island, she wants a "tree coral".  When I asked her what she mean, she showed me a picture of an Garf Bonsai Acropora.  What are your thoughts?  Is something like this possible?  I'm worried about having too many zoa's on a single rock crowding and competing with each other.  Also, would the zoa's and the acro get along?  I need to keep her happy so she doesn't stop bankrolling me....😅

A zoa garden is pretty common you can just attach a few different zoas to a rock and let them fill in and mix over time. EAT SLEEP REEF on youtube has a really nice zoa garden, and he still has the zoas on plugs so he can trim them back as needed. As for the Acro you would have to find some zoas that will tolerate the lighting conditions for the bonsai. Another thing you may consider is a soft coral or maybe a birdsnest variant as a substitute. 

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Just recently started collecting a ton of new zoanthids and palys.  After a few trades with local reefers, I've noticed a lot of the new frags are pretty lacking in color.  What is the best approach for trying to get the best color out of your polyps?

First guess is the frags have only been in my tank for about two weeks- need time to adjust.

Secondly, I'm in the process of upgrading my light so they may be receiving too low PAR at the moment which is likely adding to the dulling of the colors.

Any other idea?

Specifically- I'm talking about armor of gods, midnight vamps, gold dust, among others. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 5:16 PM, Butchy21 said:

Just recently started collecting a ton of new zoanthids and palys.  After a few trades with local reefers, I've noticed a lot of the new frags are pretty lacking in color.

The important factors sound like: the age of your tank, the rate that you were stocking it, and of course your testing parameters.

Let us know about the tank age and your testing parameter, what else is living in the tank, etc, and we can probably give you some better advice.

It's conceivable that your lights are related but actually not all that likely assuming you are currently using a reef light and not something intended for other purposes.

By the way, the most direct way to answer your question would be to ask the people you bought the corals from. How is your system different from their systems? That question should include lighting, nutrient levels, all other tank parameters.   Knowing how your system differs from theirs should provide you with some answers.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, mcarroll said:

The important factors sound like: the age of your tank, the rate that you were stocking it, and of course your testing parameters.

Let us know about the tank age and your testing parameter, what else is living in the tank, etc, and we can probably give you some better advice.

It's conceivable that your lights are related but actually not all that likely assuming you are currently using a reef light and not something intended for other purposes.

By the way, the most direct way to answer your question would be to ask the people you bought the corals from. How is your system different from their systems? That question should include lighting, nutrient levels, all other tank parameters.   Knowing how your system differs from theirs should provide you with some answers.

Ya I think the best advice you mentioned is to start with reaching out to those that were growing the zoos and compare lighting, depth of tank, etc. since there is disparity on my polyp coloration.  For example, everlasting gobstoppers are really colorful and look great but armor of gods are new to tank and have remained rather dull (have had for 3-4 weeks).

Some more information about my tank- it is a 26 gallon bowfront that has been running almost 5 years.  I currently have a cheap marine orbit LEDs that has been fine at growing SPS (green slimer, purple stylo, red digi, monti cap) and a ton of LPS (elegance, blastos, acans, chalices, trumpets, fungia plate, frogspawn, hammer, duncans, zoanthids / palys) and a gregonian.  I am awaiting my new light- nanobox duo, which will have to be ramped up in intensity over the course of a few weeks since it is about 3x stronger wattage.

Water parameters- I run a pretty low nutrient system having a refugium, GFO reactor, chemipure once in a while and a reef octopus skimmer.  Nitrites and phosphates are usually low, where nitrite is undetectable and phosphates are less than 0.03.

Alkalinity sits around 8.5, calcium at 420ppm, 1.025 salinity.  I feed corals once a week with reef chili.  For fish, there are two clowns, bicolor pseudochromis, watchmen goby, then an emerald crab, coral banded shrimp and CUC.

• Like 2