Innovative Marine Aquariums

Heifinator's 60g Shallow - PICS (NEW PHOTOS NOV 6th 2013)

heifinator

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I couldn't find my tailspot blenny and feared the worst (I love that stupid fish...)

Last night I was working on my tank and I saw his little head behind a glued frag. He was stuck. I literally glued a frag over the hole he was hiding in and apparently the rock didn't have a back way out.

Broke the frag off the rock and removed the epoxy, he popped right out and was VERY happy to swim around, I had never seen him swim that much lol. Stupid fish.

So I couldn't find my tailspot blenny and feared the worst (I love that stupid fish...)

Last night I was working on my tank and I saw his little head behind a glued frag. He was stuck. I literally glued a frag over the hole he was hiding in and apparently the rock didn't have a back way out.

Broke the frag off the rock and removed the epoxy, he popped right out and was VERY happy to swim around, I had never seen him swim that much lol. Stupid fish.

Haha that crazy, gotta be careful if you get a Midas Blenny as well

Tanks looking good... You're SPS is doing better than mine. :happy:

Well. I will be honest. The tops are all bleaching from the light (I think).

I also have no PE because I had to turn the flow way down because of my stupid sand.

I am considering removing my marcorocks sand and putting special grade in. I had it before my only issue is it turned grey.

Do you guys know of something that is really uniform and slightly larger than sugar (not as big as special grade). Thanks!

Well. I will be honest. The tops are all bleaching from the light (I think).

I also have no PE because I had to turn the flow way down because of my stupid sand.

I am considering removing my marcorocks sand and putting special grade in. I had it before my only issue is it turned grey.

Do you guys know of something that is really uniform and slightly larger than sugar (not as big as special grade). Thanks!

I used a mix of fiji pink and special grade 2:1 and I have 2 MP10s+ a modded 6025+ return pump in a 40 breeder. No sandstorms. I love the fiji pink sand. Your tank is pretty awesome. Great aquascaping!

I used a mix of fiji pink and special grade 2:1 and I have 2 MP10s+ a modded 6025+ return pump in a 40 breeder. No sandstorms. I love the fiji pink sand. Your tank is pretty awesome. Great aquascaping!

Thank you! I dread the day I have to move this tank because the scape was built in the tank. No way to get it out in one piece! But I'll cross that bridge when I get there lol.

I am probably going to remove my sand and go with tropic eden mini flakes. Its slightly larger than sugar so I think that will be enough. I really love uniform sand beds and the small the grain the better.

Small update.

One of my female lyretails has pop eye. I think it was caused by an injury and she is still swimming, active, and eating so I am going to just monitor it.

In other news I hate my sand and will be replacing it (sugar) with mini or reef flakes by tropic eden. I will document that job with photos as it will most likely suck.

Have a large coral order coming in friday. Will post an update this weekend.

Still dealing with some algae (diatom it appears). As well as bleaching from light.

This is a great build! I just picture-read the thread but I'm subscribed and gonna to take some time to check everything later. Don't know if someone suggested before but in the event you may miss a day of a clogged filter sock, you will have some water in the floor. I suggest to build a new filter sock holder that goes inside the actual tank just to be sure. I built these:

462719_10150595503391443_383124510_o.jpg

311864_10150361493171443_121967871_n.jpg

They have an acrylic rod that will hang in the tank's trim while holding the socks 1.5" under the top. You could even add a top to fit PVC's or hoses and prevent splashing outside as well like this one (this one still needs the side rods to stay in place):

DSC_0063.jpg

• Like 2

Funny you mention that. I already considered it, mine sits about a 1/16th under the rim of the tank, it also has holes in it and is angled towards the sump. I already purposely tested it by clogging a filter sock all up.

Since then I have had multiple clogged socks with no water on the floor.

This is a great build! I just picture-read the thread but I'm subscribed and gonna to take some time to check everything later. Don't know if someone suggested before but in the event you may miss a day of a clogged filter sock, you will have some water in the floor. I suggest to build a new filter sock holder that goes inside the actual tank just to be sure. I built these:

462719_10150595503391443_383124510_o.jpg

311864_10150361493171443_121967871_n.jpg

They have an acrylic rod that will hang in the tank's trim while holding the socks 1.5" under the top. You could even add a top to fit PVC's or hoses and prevent splashing outside as well like this one (this one still needs the side rods to stay in place):

DSC_0063.jpg

Not as nice as your sock holder but I didn't have the tools to build that =). I just took a flat piece, drilled 2 holes with hole saws, and stuck socks in it. Then pushed one side up with a couple little pieces of acrylic =)

Sorry if I missed it but where did you get the "arms' your light fixture is hanging from?

Tank looks great so far by the way. Everything is so organized.

Sorry if I missed it but where did you get the "arms' your light fixture is hanging from?

Tank looks great so far by the way. Everything is so organized.

You didn't miss it.

I just used 1/2 electrical conduit and a conduit bender to bend the 90's. I then used little U-brackets to attach it to the back of the tank.

So the male lyretail decided he wanted to be a bachelor and slayed both the females. Very sad...

He won't be getting any more! :angry:

Getting ready to change out the sugar sand with reefflakes from tropic eden, lesson learned.

I will try and get a picture update this weekend. I am working on a top that won't look like crap because I want a freaking jawfish and or gobies / wrasse.

Sand changed.

That was a nightmare.

Everything made it through ok. By the way, reef flakes is probably the best sand I have ever used or even seen.

Archived