Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Heifinator's 60g Shallow - PICS (NEW PHOTOS NOV 6th 2013)

heifinator

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank has a ton of potential. Love the scape that you put together. I'd recommend cutting your frags from the plugs and attaching directly to your rock. Provides a much cleaner look.

This tank has a ton of potential. Love the scape that you put together. I'd recommend cutting your frags from the plugs and attaching directly to your rock. Provides a much cleaner look.

I am planning on it. I have just added most of them. I started them at the bottom and have worked them up. I typically will give them about 2 weeks before cutting off plug. This is to ensure they are happy with where they are =).

• Like 1

Just got my lyretail trio, They are doing great, male is well behaved so far!

I am getting a new camera in a couple weeks so I will get a lot of better pics up then!

Fish so far

- Coral Beauty (slight nipper, may go to a larger home)

- Madarin Dragonet (8 months old and eating pellets!)

- Tail spotted blenny

- Lyretail Trio

Plan on adding

- Some kind of goby (watchman probably)

- Clown pair (snowflake most likely)

- Maybe a midas blenny (probably wont unless CB is removed).

Also going to have quite a few inverts since this is an invert friendly system (no wrasse)

- 2 cleaners (1 peppermint one skunk)

- A few sexy shrimp

- Lots of red / blue crabs

- Will have RBTA in a special spot for the clowns if I go that route

- One reason I wanted a shallow tank was for sand bed clams! 2 or 3 maximas most likely in this system

As far as coral I am looking to add mostly exotics. On my short list

- Oregon tort

- Bali tri-color

- Strawberry fields

- Banana Lokani

- ATL cherry bomb

- Mixed hammer (Pink & green together)

• Like 1

+1

And, maybe move some of your SPS frags to mid or lower level if possible. It looks like they won't have a lot of room to grow upwards before running out of water. When mounting frags, I like to research their growth pattern to help give me a visualization of what the frags may look like once allowed to grow in a given spot.

Very nice setup. It seems like yesterday you were building the stand... Looks so clean and neat - great build. Can't wait to see progress on this one. Congrats on a great start.

+1

And, maybe move some of your SPS frags to mid or lower level if possible. It looks like they won't have a lot of move to grow upwards before running out of water. When mounting frags, I like to research their growth pattern to help give me a visualization of what the frags may look like once allowed to grow in a given spot.

Yea I see what you are saying. Most of them aren't mounted yet and are on their plugs. Since its a new system I don't want to mount them and then have a problem forcing me to remove them!

My slimers and fast growing acros will be in the mid / bottom and the slow growers on the top shelf. There is about 3" from the top shelf to the surface which should allow for some grow out.

What will a colony do if it reaches the surface, will it just start growing outward instead?

Yea I see what you are saying. Most of them aren't mounted yet and are on their plugs. Since its a new system I don't want to mount them and then have a problem forcing me to remove them!

My slimers and fast growing acros will be in the mid / bottom and the slow growers on the top shelf. There is about 3" from the top shelf to the surface which should allow for some grow out.

What will a colony do if it reaches the surface, will it just start growing outward instead?

I've witnessed this in a local member's tank. The tip reaching the surface will flatten, sometimes they lose tissue.

Very nice setup. It seems like yesterday you were building the stand... Looks so clean and neat - great build. Can't wait to see progress on this one. Congrats on a great start.

Thanks! Appreciate that.

No one else responded. I am going to assume everyone but you is mad ;)

Final fish list (please comment)

Already Have:

- Lyretail Trio

- Tail Spotted Blenny

- Coral Beauty Angel

- Mandarin Dragonet

Plan On Adding:

- Snowflake clown pair + RBTA

- Watchman goby or another non-jump-prone goby, no yasha for me =(

This feels pretty well stocked. I am big into fish and accept the religious water changes (had 8 in my 40b at one point). That being said there is a possibility of a midas blenny as well. Convince me that is to many! :D

Great stocking list! I'm trying to decide what to stock my new tank with as well am looking to do something pretty similar to you.

You think all of that would be a reasonable bio-load in a tank of this size (total volume 75g)

You think all of that would be a reasonable bio-load in a tank of this size (total volume 75g)

I think so, all of those fish are relatively small. Just be sure not to add them too fast and cause a mini cycle.

December 1st Photo Update

Plan on doing a photo update every 2 weeks (at least monthly). They will be added to the original post index!

4jZR4.jpg

OQwqu.jpg

8RINy.jpg

xAhai.jpg

If this isn't evidence of a bad coral beauty I don't know what is! :rant:

bISrQ.jpg

GnJGE.jpg

5Lo2l.jpg

uQglt.jpg

dTMFy.jpg

m0g7G.jpg

Umad bro?