inTank Media Baskets

Heifinator's 60g Shallow - PICS (NEW PHOTOS NOV 6th 2013)

heifinator

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so this tank only has 2 holes (the one downside to getting a tank that was already made). I don't like the idea of a single drain.

I have never used a durso standpipe, I have always used herbies.

If a durso becomes partially blocked, lets say 5%, will it overflow. Are durso's 100% full like a herbie main overflow or is their room for more water if for some reason the pump speeds up or the drain partially clogs?

I am going to have a pretty low amount of turnover into the sump and its a 1.5" drain so its plenty big to accommodate a lot of water, I am just wondering the safety of dursos. I can accept if something catastrophic happens like a full clog that it will overflow, I can stomach that, but not if a tiny little clog would cause an overflow.

I know with my herbie I have had at least 3 times my backup was needed, but of course with herbies the main is already at 100%.

Thanks for any info.

Wow. I'm kinda amazed at the reaction. I thought these dimensions were kinda out there, glad to see people like them, I have always been a fan of horizontal deep tanks, but not full cubes =)

Anyone have any input on my standpipe question.

Starting on the stand this weekend, will post lots of pictures.

If someone could respond about this I would appreciate it:

Ok so this tank only has 2 holes (the one downside to getting a tank that was already made). I don't like the idea of a single drain.

I have never used a durso standpipe, I have always used herbies.

If a durso becomes partially blocked, lets say 5%, will it overflow. Are durso's 100% full like a herbie main overflow or is their room for more water if for some reason the pump speeds up or the drain partially clogs?

I am going to have a pretty low amount of turnover into the sump and its a 1.5" drain so its plenty big to accommodate a lot of water, I am just wondering the safety of dursos. I can accept if something catastrophic happens like a full clog that it will overflow, I can stomach that, but not if a tiny little clog would cause an overflow.

I know with my herbie I have had at least 3 times my backup was needed, but of course with herbies the main is already at 100%.

Thanks for any info.

Herbies technically are not 100% full. You are always going to have them dialed back with a gate valve, so while they are generally underwater completely in your overflow box, they aren't draining at the full capacity of a of your standpipe diameter (1" for example) because you're dialed back.

I've always followed a general guideline with Herbie overflows. If my main is 1", my emergency is 1", never less. That way if my main gets COMPLETELY clogged, my emergency will have no issues handling ALL of the flow as there is no valves on that line so hinder the flow of water. I also reduce the number of 45/90' elbows on the emergency to less than what my main drain has (which I also try to keep at a minimum). All of this will always allow your system to keep draining without ever overflowing. Unless by some massive issue the emergency gets blocked up as well, but if that happens you'll probably be SOL anyways unless you setup a secondary fail safe should that ever happen. ;)

Here is the scape with all the carnage created in front of it!

Also, I still am wanting an answer to my overflow questions if anyone has any input! TY. :P

5pCFE.jpg

Front

qtoqQ.jpg

Front Right

C3YcZ.jpg

Right Side

A4uhF.jpg

Front Left

GK2jv.jpg

Left Side

wlTt6.jpg

Top Down

• Like 1

Why don't you just run a herbie... use your smaller hole for the Main, and your emergency on the 1.5". I can't comment on Durso's as I've never used them, nor will I. :P

Here is the scape with all the carnage created in front of it!

Also, I still am wanting an answer to my overflow questions if anyone has any input! TY. :P

5pCFE.jpg

Front

qtoqQ.jpg

Front Right

C3YcZ.jpg

Right Side

A4uhF.jpg

Front Left

GK2jv.jpg

Left Side

wlTt6.jpg

Top Down

Geee, fill that thing already! lol. JK.. Looks good, love the dimensions!

Why don't you just run a herbie... use your smaller hole for the Main, and your emergency on the 1.5". I can't comment on Durso's as I've never used them, nor will I. :P

You make a decent point. I was going to have the tank really close to the wall so I didn't want to run pipe behind it. I also don't want anything coming in over the top of the tank (i.e) the return lines.

If this tank was made specifically for me I would have done 3 holes, but that's what I get for like 50% off :lol:

I may go ahead and do that. This tank is going to have a mesh top so I will just make the top with a notch in it to run the locline into the tank.

Alright, feedback on this:

I will do a herbie drain using the 1" hole as the main, and the 1.5" hole as the backup. I don't push a lot of water through my sump usually anyways, so I am looking at having ~500-600gph turnover rate.

The return will be a single 3/4" pipe run up the back of the tank and in over the top with locline 3/4" to a 1/2" wye giving me a little more variable flow with the return.

This tank will have a top screen top so I will design it to have a small notch in it for the return locline that comes over the rim of the tank.

• Like 1

Stand frame complete. Skinning tomorrow.

e4rzY.jpg?1?2070

So it begins...

2tlnZ.jpg?1

Bottom frame together, top cut.

23Ejj.jpg?1

Top frame now together and braced, inside legs cut and ready.

K1mzN.jpg?1

Front fully framed and ready for skin

GlmYa.jpg?1

Another view

VAu78.jpg?1

And Another.

Yes, I know it is over built.

2" x 4" x 8' = $2.88, Being able to sleep at night, priceless. :P

• Like 1
I went back and forward on dimensions. I want something that didn't look like a painting but was easy to maintain.

Thought about cubes at first but they are hard to clean, then I was thinking 30x30x18 but that was to big. Found a balance. Plus with 40x24 I think I have enough swimming room for my lyretails that I really want!

I would have to agree. Beautiful set up and great work on the stand.

adEyy.png

Here is my light layout. I already have a bunch of 1 emitter cree lights I will be using, so no 3ups for me except the OCW.

This will be

32RB

18NW

14TV

6OCW

Running on 5 inventronics 40w @ 700mah drivers with 5 pot dimmers in a project box enclosure. will build on a makers heatsink @ 24"

This will sit fairly high above the tank to give good coverage. Input wanted!

NW = Black

RB = Blue

TV = Purple

OCW = Red

• Like 1

Looks good. The only things I might change is to think about the 430 nm deep blue LEDs that should be coming out soon from LEDgroupbuy. 430nm light is more usable for corals than royal blues so consider dropping some royal blues for some 430s. You have a great plan even without them though.

Looks good. The only things I might change is to think about the 430 nm deep blue LEDs that should be coming out soon from LEDgroupbuy. 430nm light is more usable for corals than royal blues so consider dropping some royal blues for some 430s. You have a great plan even without them though.

I already own a good portion of the lights.

I am adding 8 RB to my currently owned 24, I may get 8 of the new 430nm instead.

• Like 1

Archived