Top Shelf Aquatics

Heifinator's 60g Shallow - PICS (NEW PHOTOS NOV 6th 2013)

heifinator

Heifinator's Rimless Miracles Tank

40x24x15 - 60 Gallons

Latest Update Here

oW32EHq.jpg

Background
This tank will be my second "DIY" tank and the first tank with a high budget. My last tank was a 40b I built from the ground up. After building that tank I spend more time thinking "I could have done that better" then enjoying the tank. This eventually drove me crazy and I decided to upgrade after only a year.

This time no cutting corners, no being cheap, and boat loads of preparation. I have been documenting everything from the planning, purchasing, building, filling, stocking, and maintaining. I will try to post bi-monthly photo updates on the system and keep them well recorded in the Journal Index here on the front post!

I built this system with only basic hand and power tools. I have no formal DIY or carpentry skills and learned everything from the internet. I hope this thread can become a resource for those like me that want to use their obsession with aquariums as a method to learn no skills!

Equipment List
Tank: 40x24x15 Rimless, 3 sides low-iron by Miracles in Glass
Stand: DIY
Sump: 20 Long
Lighting: ~144w DIY cree fixture (6RB:3NW:3TV:3OCW Ratio)
Water Motion: ~700 gph return, 2 Tunze 6025
Filtration: BRS 2 stage media reactor (carbon & GFO)
Rock: BRS Reef Saver + 15% live rock seeding in sump
Sand: Marcorocks fine grade aragonite.
Skimmer: SWC skimmer
Heater: Aqueon 100w

Journal
1. First Pictures of Tank
2. Tank Arrival
3. Stand Concept
4. Aquascape Work
5. Stand Frame Build
6. LED Concept
7. Stand Skinning & Completion
8. Tank Placement & Plumbing
9. Tank Filled
10. Photo Update Nov 8th 2012
11. Photo Update Nov 21st 2012
12. Text Update Nov 27th 2012
13. Photo Update Dec 1st 2012
14. Photo Update Dec 20th 2012

15. Photo Update Jan 19th 2013
16. Photo Update March 23rd 2013

17. Photo Update August 29th 2013

18. Photo Update November 6th 2013

Stock List
Updated November 27th 2012

Fish

• Lyretail Anthias Trio
  • Coral Beauty Angelfish
  • Tail Spotted Blenny
  • Mandarin Dragonet

Invertebrates

• Blue & Red Leg Hermits
  • Nassarius Snails
  • Nerite Snails
  • Dwarf Cerith Snails

Corals

• Blue Cali Tort
  • Pink Lemonade Millepora
  • Leng Si Cap
  • Green Monti Cap
  • Armor of God Zoas
  • Blue & Green Zoas
  • Cat Eye Zoas
  • Sun Burst Zoas
  • Green Ricordea
  • Blue and Green Acan
  • Rainbow Acan
  • Candy Stripe Acan
  • Orange Monti Cap
  • Green Slimer
  • Red Mushroom
  • Green Mushroom
  • Pink & Grey Zoas
  • ORA Red Planet Acro
  • Blue Tip Acro
  • Purple Monti Cap
  • ORA Birdsnest
  • Strawberry Shortcake Acro
  • Duncan Wisker

FTS Archive

November 21st 2012
zXxzF.jpg

December 1st 2012
i2f4X.jpg

December 20th 2012
AdCBj.jpg

January 19th 2013

8G9cYPl.jpg

March 23rd 2013

AacvVWW.jpg

August 29 2013

VTSlbAbh.jpg

November 6 2013

oW32EHq.jpg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't wait to see what your new tank looks like!

Both of you two seem to be cubers. Any pro tips? The tank I am getting isn't a cube but its what I would consider "Cube-like" anything you learned the hard way I should know about?

Looking forward to this. Killer dimensions from an equally killer tank builder. I can't wait to see this grow in.

I went back and forward on dimensions. I want something that didn't look like a painting but was easy to maintain.

Thought about cubes at first but they are hard to clean, then I was thinking 30x30x18 but that was to big. Found a balance. Plus with 40x24 I think I have enough swimming room for my lyretails that I really want!

My frame is built exactly as the frame in your picture. You can probably do without the inside vertical 2x4s. Space is very precious in the cabinet - as I've learned, and the extra 6" of space will come in handy. If I had to do it again, no inside 2x4's. You can strengthen the stand by nailing a sheet of plywood to the back if you need.

Glass looks great. I noticed the teeth of the overflow are closed at the top, it's a nice detail that make it look nice and clean. Keep posting.

My frame is built exactly as the frame in your picture. You can probably do without the inside vertical 2x4s. Space is very precious in the cabinet - as I've learned, and the extra 6" of space will come in handy. If I had to do it again, no inside 2x4's. You can strengthen the stand by nailing a sheet of plywood to the back if you need.

Glass looks great. I noticed the teeth of the overflow are closed at the top, it's a nice detail that make it look nice and clean. Keep posting.

Miracles did that same thing on a friends tank, I love the look and its actually quieter it seems.

You don't think this tank will be too heavy without the inside 2x4's? I don't want plywood on the back, did that on my last stand and it got really humid inside. I want the back open for air flow.

I just thought it would be too heavy, looking at ~600lbs.

Miracles did that same thing on a friends tank, I love the look and its actually quieter it seems.

You don't think this tank will be too heavy without the inside 2x4's? I don't want plywood on the back, did that on my last stand and it got really humid inside. I want the back open for air flow.

I just thought it would be too heavy, looking at ~600lbs.

Yeah you don't need three 2X4s at each corner. 2-2X4s will be more than strong enough. Each 2X4 has a failure weight of about 2000lbs and even without the interior 2X4, you'll have the weight spread out over 8 of them. Trust me, your stand will be very strong without the interior ones. I would use interior brackets to attach the vertical 2X4s to the two squares that make up the frame and the skin of the stand will also help resist torsion. Looks great! That aquarium is gorgeous. What are the specs on your LED light?

Yeah you don't need three 2X4s at each corner. 2-2X4s will be more than strong enough. Each 2X4 has a failure weight of about 2000lbs and even without the interior 2X4, you'll have the weight spread out over 8 of them. Trust me, your stand will be very strong without the interior ones. I would use interior brackets to attach the vertical 2X4s to the two squares that make up the frame and the skin of the stand will also help resist torsion. Looks great! That aquarium is gorgeous. What are the specs on your LED light?

Could you give me an example of how you would brace the 2x4's.

I am skinning it with oak 1x6 so that should prevent torsion.

The light will be made from the light on my 40b + some new bulbs.

Currently its 8x16 which is a little small, so I am going to make it on 2 heatsinks 10x10 or 12x12 each.

These will be mounted on shelving rails as 1 unit. I will do a sketchup of my plan now.

Nice looking design so far! Welcome to the 62G Club.. :lol: We're currently both at about the same build stage.

The tank looks fantastic. Love the overflow design, very clean!

Following!

Nice looking design so far! Welcome to the 62G Club.. :lol: We're currently both at about the same build stage.

The tank looks fantastic. Love the overflow design, very clean!

Following!

I am following yours as well. It is odd we both started customs about the same time, with nearly the same dimensions. Considering its not a normal dimension :huh:

Could you give me an example of how you would brace the 2x4's.

Sure. You can get metal brackets that do the same thing, but if you look at the interior corners of the stand you can see that I used some 3/8" ply wood to create these little brackets that helped brace the vertical 2X4s to top and bottom. I used some 1" screws and wood glue to increase the rigidity. My stand is rock solid for my 40 breeder and only uses one vertical 2X4 per corner. 2 for you tank is definitely strong enough.

2011-07-30100301.jpg

When you attach the vertical 2x4 to the box frame on the bottom, did you just screw it in with like 3" wood screws at 45 degrees? Then added some bracing for rigidness?

Would it be acceptable to dowel the vertical 2x4s and wood glue them to the box frame on both bottom and top, then use the skin (3/4) for rigidness?

When you attach the vertical 2x4 to the box frame on the bottom, did you just screw it in with like 3" wood screws at 45 degrees? Then added some bracing for rigidness?

Angled screw and lots of wood glue. I screw and glue everything. The walls of the stand hold it together as well. The two small sheets of plywood in the back give it lots of support as well. I did use small pieces of 2x4 at the top to hold the stand together before I could put the sides on. I decided to leave them in since they are out of the way at the top. And I even used one to mount the top of my DJ switch box.

One 2x4 in the corners is plenty of strength.

I am following yours as well. It is odd we both started customs about the same time, with nearly the same dimensions. Considering its not a normal dimension :huh:

Indeed. I love your dims though. I'm a sucker for shallows. :)

As for your stand, I would agree with the others, your design is definitely over engineered! But it does give piece of mind. I have always built my stands with the 3rd 2x4 in the corners, and you sump isn't huge, so space shouldn't be an issue.

Indeed. I love your dims though. I'm a sucker for shallows. :)

As for your stand, I would agree with the others, your design is definitely over engineered! But it does give piece of mind. I have always built my stands with the 3rd 2x4 in the corners, and you sump isn't huge, so space shouldn't be an issue.

Well, I am not sure yet, this tank is pretty heavy, 1/2 glass I will probably build the frame without the inside 2x4 then see how I feel.

I love shallows also, although I don't like 12" tanks for some reason!

Really awesome build. I love the tank.

I got a quote a few weeks ago from Miracles for a 75x40x40cm w/ 10mm glass. It was very reasonable. Can you tell me what they charged for the overflow? You can send me a PM if you like.

The crate looks amazing. I live about an hour from the factory so I plan to just pick it up if I pull the trigger.

If anyone knows a decent amount about woodworking and wants to walk through some questions I have I would appreciate it, PM will be fine. :lol:

Tank has arrived and is in one piece!

It was nice outside until the moment the freight truck arrived, then it proceeded to pour rain. So, the tank has been leak tested and so have I. :eek:

TCN8L.jpg

MoFOk.jpg

kHgfo.jpg

nGgY9.jpg

RuOMg.jpg

YnAWR.jpg

IOMSc.jpg

Archived