Pod Your Reef

Formula ONE Pellets

Whys

When I first started in this hobby a few years ago, I always fed Formula ONE *frozen*. But it was often wasted because I mostly have bottom feeders and half of it would float away uneaten. So eventually I tried frozen mysis and at first it seemed to work. But I swear as it gets older in the freezer, more and more of it starts to float instead of sink. To keep it from fouling the tank, I had to start separating it first in a cup of saltwater. Then I discovered...

Formula ONE marine pellets!

ON-09220.jpg

If you drop it onto the water lightly, it gets stuck to the surface tension and will resist sinking. If you drop it hard or under the surface, then it will immediately sink and stay sunk. If that weren't enough, it doesn't require any refrigeration and seems to have an indefinite shelf life! What's not to like about this food?

First, phosphate. Ever since I started using this food, a short-haired peat-moss-like green-alage has suddenly cropped up everywhere in all four of my saltwater systems. I strongly suspect it is the result of phosphate and equally suspect the pellets are the source.

Second, this... :o

video:

jedimasterben

WTF. Something is f'ed up.

My F1 pellets do not float, they sink straight down every time (good for some fish, bad for anthias and chromis), and I just tested with a magnet and it didn't do anything.

But damn. :eek:

I like the hikari marine S. I've noticed excessive phosphates while using formula 1

That's what I'm using, and everything in my DT comes a runnin' when they get dropped in.

Stupid Dracula goby in QT OTOH....

My fish always have trouble eating pellets. They keep spitting them out and re-eating them. Sometimes they finally get them down, sometimes they make it to the bottom. I rarely feed pellets as a result as I don't believe in feeding my CUC. The exception being on occassion I treat those destined to spend their life in my fuge. I currently have Spectrum.

jedimasterben
My fish always have trouble eating pellets. They keep spitting them out and re-eating them. Sometimes they finally get them down, sometimes they make it to the bottom. I rarely feed pellets as a result as I don't believe in feeding my CUC. The exception being on occassion I treat those destined to spend their life in my fuge. I currently have Spectrum.

Depends on what your CUC consists of, but most CUC members are strictly algaevores.

What I like to do, is to feed a bunch of Formula One to my Clownfish. Then I get her stuck to the side of the glass with a magnet and make her do tricks. When I'm done messing with her, I just use her as a MagFloat algae cleaner (but instead of floating to the top, she just swims away). ;)

jedimasterben
What I like to do, is to feed a bunch of Formula One to my Clownfish. Then I get her stuck to the side of the glass with a magnet and make her do tricks. When I'm done messing with her, I just use her as a MagFloat algae cleaner (but instead of floating to the top, she just swims away). ;)

winning.

altolamprologus

Pure gold. I would totally hug you if I could :flower:

Wow! I just tested the magnet thing on mine and it total works! I've been feeding this to my fish 3-4 times a day. They love it, but I'm not really fond of throwing iron rich food into my tank.

A little bio lesson for people who don't know. N, P, and silicates are often considered the main limiting nutrients in aquatic systems; however, iron is another major limiting nutrient that is especially important for phytoplankton and photosynthesis. While this may sound good too boost our phyto levels and overall productivity, in our small tanks, this change can easily throw our parameters out of whack.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: :lol: :huh:.....:blush:

Wow! I just tested the magnet thing on mine and it total works!

The video wasn't convincing? :huh:

A little bio lesson for people who don't know. N, P, and silicates are often considered the main limiting nutrients in aquatic systems; however, iron is another major limiting nutrient that is especially important for phytoplankton and photosynthesis. While this may sound good too boost our phyto levels and overall productivity, in our small tanks, this change can easily throw our parameters out of whack.

Thank you for mentioning this. I've been wondering what the potential implications are. How do you suppose this compares to the use of GFO? I've read there are a couple different forms of iron but have no idea what form is in this food.

• 10 months later...

New Life Spectrum Formula One it is.. I like the packaging better than Ocean Nutrition but I can't seem to find anything on which is better or even if the Thera A formula is worth it.

New Life Spectrum Formula One it is.. I like the packaging better than Ocean Nutrition but I can't seem to find anything on which is better or even if the Thera A formula is worth it.

Have the thera a that I bought accidently looking for a .5mm pellet. My guys with small mouths love it.

Archived