SaltCritters.com

DIY glass aquariums

dling

I've just finished building my second aquarium. I would love to know how to keep the air bubbles out of the

silicone. My first build I did 3 times to tring to do this. This is new glass and a better adhesive( ge rtv 108 ) still I get air bubbles . Its so frustrating . Help.

gulfsurfer101

I always tape up the seam I'm about to silicone leaving about 3/8" on each side of the seam and pour it on heavy and fluently. After that I use my finger to even out the bead using a rubber glove or plastic bag. The pressure from running your finger over the fresh bead should be enough to push out any air bubbles and after u Peel the tape off your left with one clean run. Now just let it dry n enjoy a beer.

I always tape up the seam I'm about to silicone leaving about 3/8" on each side of the seam and pour it on heavy and fluently. After that I use my finger to even out the bead using a rubber glove or plastic bag. The pressure from running your finger over the fresh bead should be enough to push out any air bubbles and after u Peel the tape off your left with one clean run. Now just let it dry n enjoy a beer.

Wife has camera till Tuesday.I will take some pics when she returns home from trip. Would you tell me if the tank's ok to use ? Thanks. The vids I watched make it look so easy.Just squirt a bit of silicone down 1 to 2 days later you have an aquarium.

gulfsurfer101

I would let it cure for at least 72 hours then see if it holds for 48 hours before making any decision to go toward with the project. What are your dimensions and are you using bracing or going rimless. In the end the choice is yours if it's up to snuff. You are your own QC and it's your call but pics would help in assisting you to a better decision or with any problems that may occur.

I would let it cure for at least 72 hours then see if it holds for 48 hours before making any decision to go toward with the project. What are your dimensions and are you using bracing or going rimless. In the end the choice is yours if it's up to snuff. You are your own QC and it's your call but pics would help in assisting you to a better decision or with any problems that may occur.

34Lx15Wx14H , Yes its rimless , no braces. Thanks. I will post pics first chance I get.

Small bubbles here and there aren't typically a big deal. It is very rare to have a tank that is totally without bubbles. If you have a patch that is one bubble from edge to edge I would worry. But a few TINY bubbles in a spot are most likely going to be fine.

gulfsurfer101

Sounds like a pretty sweet tank, I built my my first tank when I was 14 with the help of my dad n uncle who had a 300g cichlid tank. It was massive and what got me into aquarium keeping. I went with the same dimensions as a 40br only difference is I added 4" to the height. It lasted over 8 yrs before it was tore down n stored away.

As long as you have a good bead all around at every joined piece I don't see why it won't hold.

Thanks guys. The bubbles are small and a used the Momentive silicone adhesive from GE . The RTV 108 . It's supposed to be very strong.

Were are some pics of my tank seems. I just filled it and the seems look like this. Its just in a couple of places and not all of the seem.Whats going on? Temp difference between glass and water ?

Thanks guys. The bubbles are small and a used the Momentive silicone adhesive from GE . The RTV 108 . It's supposed to be very strong.

is it 100% silicone with no mold inhibitors?

Were are some pics of my tank seems. I just filled it and the seems look like this. Its just in a couple of places and not all of the seem.Whats going on? Temp difference between glass and water ?

No leaks ? Just a few bubbles here and there? Are any running nearly from one end to the other end like a "=" type bubble ...or missing silicone ?

No leaks ? Just a few bubbles here and there? Are any running nearly from one end to the other end like a "=" type bubble ...or missing silicone ?

No its just the discoloration that worries me.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like loose ends, next time just use masking tape a half inch or so away from all the seams and after you lay your final bead down and work it all out Peel off the tape. It'll eliminate that leaving you with a really clean look.

And yes that tank was epic, I cut so many yards to pay for that glass to build my mini tank compared to that monster.

No its just the discoloration that worries me.

You could use a ruler against the silicone and a razor blade to cut the loose ends off

You could use a ruler against the silicone and a razor blade to cut the loose ends off

So the ruler is to give a straight cut to remove the ends ? I will look into this tomorrow. I get up at 3 am which means early to bed. I need help. Thanks all.

David

Or start over with black glue!

How would using black silicone make this better ? Is it easier to work with ?

Albert have you done this before ? How hard is it to add a end when the front and back are in place ?

I'm also wondering if it's the way I'm doing my build that's making it harder on me. I have chosen to put the front,back and sides around the bottom instead of glued on the bottom.

IMO black silicone wont be any easer, but it does look cool!

When I built my pico, I have all 4 sides resting on the bottom pane of glass.

iball thread and many others have step by step photos on how to build a tank.

This can also help, just use your own LWH for your tank.

http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

Hope this helps

JamieSheffield

So glad that I saw this thread...I'm actually planning on trying my hand at a DIY tank this weekend.

Thanks NR!

Jamie

IMO black silicone wont be any easer, but it does look cool!

When I built my pico, I have all 4 sides resting on the bottom pane of glass.

iball thread and many others have step by step photos on how to build a tank.

This can also help, just use your own LWH for your tank.

http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

Hope this helps

Thats very similar to what I did. I laid a 1/4 bead of silicone down. I just dont understand what happened.

Archived