Top Shelf Aquatics

d'Espresso *Versions 2.0*

d'Espresso

I checked in to see the fresh pics and I finally realized you have 13 fish! Makes me want to shoot for.... 7 haha. Maybe I'll go for 13 fish if I can keep my tank sparkling clean with 7.

By the way, realigning my mp10s is keeping the live rock more free of detritus. So it's definitely an improvement. I have them both dialed at about 40-45% or so.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I checked in to see the fresh pics and I finally realized you have 13 fish! Makes me want to shoot for.... 7 haha. Maybe I'll go for 13 fish if I can keep my tank sparkling clean with 7.

I was just wondering that as well. How in the heck do you keep 13 fish in a 40b and not be overstocked? I always though you should plan the stocklist based on the maximum size of and adult of the species you want, not it's current size. With a 20l as a sump (like most people on here have) I figure one could have 12 inches of fish (following the old rule of thumb) which more or less amounts to 4 fish that reach 2.5-4 inches when fully grown. Are you stocking based on current size instead of their likely adult size? Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that you can do this (and if you have some secret I'd love to know because I'd do this too in a heartbeat) but I can't help but feel like it's a big risk.

jedimasterben
I was just wondering that as well. How in the heck do you keep 13 fish in a 40b and not be overstocked? I always though you should plan the stocklist based on the maximum size of and adult of the species you want, not it's current size. With a 20l as a sump (like most people on here have) I figure one could have 12 inches of fish (following the old rule of thumb) which more or less amounts to 4 fish that reach 2.5-4 inches when fully grown. Are you stocking based on current size instead of their likely adult size? Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that you can do this (and if you have some secret I'd love to know because I'd do this too in a heartbeat) but I can't help but feel like it's a big risk.

That rule actually didn't make sense when it was popular, and it still doesn't make any sense now.

As long as you stock slowly to give your biofilter time to catch up and keep up AND have enough room for the fish to feel comfortable, you can put as many in as you want. In an 80g tank I was overstocked a couple times over and had zero issues with aggression, stress, or nutrients.

As for David's tank, the Bellus angel really doesn't belong in there (they are active swimmers and need tons of rock to pick at) and the anthias need more room to roam if he's gonna keep more than one (Bartlett's anthias would be a better choice), but other than that, as long as he keeps his biofilter up, he's fine.

Thanks for all your nice and wondering comments. My fish are really happy and healthy unfortunately I do not have any more Anthias in my tank. I am planning to keep my beautiful Bellus but will upgrade later on when it get older. I am planning to have mostly apogon cardinals fish so most of the old members are moving to a different setup.

Thirdchild, Massamune! Benny is correct about adding in the habits very slow as the tank starts to mature more over time. I did had very much a bump the first 4 months when I started this tank. It best to have a good lfs to quarantine all your fish, I have learned the hard way and lost some fish I use to have. Do you think I am overstocked? I keep up with all my water changes every week or 2. I really need to invest in some CUC because I don't have none.

My scape is open with a lot of caves and creeks for fish to swim through or for their protecting zone. I love my fish especially watching the angel keeping all the blue streak cardinals in schooling groups at all time. As of now I have about 9 out of 13 in the tank if anyone would like to get an update of my fish list most of all my zoas have moved to the other setup along with all the nems. So there is plenty of space and enormous flow through out the tank to keep everyone happy. Thanks everyone!

I trade them all in for fish credits because they need alot of feeding and mostly because I have notices they did the most pooping. Lol but I did picked up my favorite chalk bass fish that has been at the fish store since day one that my lfs just had open their new store back in June

Thanks for all your nice and wondering comments. My fish are really happy and healthy unfortunately I do not have any more Anthias in my tank. I am planning to keep my beautiful Bellus but will upgrade later on when it get older. I am planning to have mostly apogon cardinals fish so most of the old members are moving to a different setup.

Thirdchild, Massamune! Benny is correct about adding in the habits very slow as the tank starts to mature more over time. I did had very much a bump the first 4 months when I started this tank. It best to have a good lfs to quarantine all your fish, I have learned the hard way and lost some fish I use to have. Do you think I am overstocked? I keep up with all my water changes every week or 2. I really need to invest in some CUC because I don't have none.

My scape is open with a lot of caves and creeks for fish to swim through or for their protecting zone. I love my fish especially watching the angel keeping all the blue streak cardinals in schooling groups at all time. As of now I have about 9 out of 13 in the tank if anyone would like to get an update of my fish list most of all my zoas have moved to the other setup along with all the nems. So there is plenty of space and enormous flow through out the tank to keep everyone happy. Thanks everyone!

Oh I wasn't implying that you're overstocked. I figured your magical reef-kungfu skills made it possible to have lots of happy fish, grow coral and keep pest algae at bay. I have a cleanup crew and fewer fish but I still have algae and kill frags!

Yes + to jedimasterben and you on the stocking comments. I lost some fish too. So I stock slow and only buy fish from trustworthy LFS and vendors now. The extra bucks for a healthy quarantined fish is worth it.

First things first

The FTS of January 2013 and is now has made 9 Months and finally start to mature a little more

IMG_3422_zpsa5522a31.jpg

My love for Rics and Yuma

IMG_3442_zps87917fc0.jpg

IMG_3443_2_zpsa91017fb.jpg

Cardinals enjoying the current flow

IMG_3441_zpsc0faec7e.jpg

IMG_3432_zpsa3797437.jpg

My newest Neon Yellow Frogspawn and Neon Bi-color Green/Purple splash Frogspawn

IMG_3440_zpsb48cb568.jpg

Sunset Monti taken off

IMG_3439_zps833468f1.jpg

Happy mates

IMG_3434_2_zps3da0c367.jpg

The view point shot

IMG_3426_zps157da345.jpg

Sorry about the late response, have been busy at work and haven't had much time but would like to thanks everyone for the awesome comments so here's some new pictures i have taken over the weekend.

llX - yes that was my old ADA 30c and Mr. Aqua 17.4, thanks for checking it out!

Neuwave - Hope to not disappointed you! Can't wait to get more goodies soon.

Podpimp - thanks for the comments but sadly there is a new scape in the mix for the 2013

Mastermind9 - glad to see you swing by..

Nano sapiens - Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated

Jstn - Coming soon

parishilton - thanks, So is your tank too!

Mr. Microscope - thankyou, there's more to come

• Like 1

That elegance is gorgeous. Great looking tank.

Maybe I missed it but approximately what color temp are your lights running at? Looks pretty blue/violet

Archived