Cultivated Reef

Last FTS of my nano...

Archaic37

Current FTS 9/24/13

30FiclY.jpg

Tank:

Fluval Flora Tank 8G
Filtration:

aquaclear 70 with chaeto, seachem purigen, heater and Wavepoint 8 watt LED.

9 pounds LR

10 pounds LS.
Lighting:

RapidLED 12 LED's Par38 (6 Rb, 2NW, 2CW and 2 UV LEDS. 80 degree optics) 8" off the water.
Flora:
green star polyp
Vietnam Eagle eye zoa

Wammin' Watermelons

Green Bay Packers zoa
Crocea clam
red mushroom
purple anthia
blue mushroom
red cap montipora
green ricordea
rainbow ricordea
Carnation coral
purple tip hammer coral
candy cane

Coco Worm

Pink Birdsnest

Kenya tree

Fauna
Hi Fin red banded goby Jumped out of the tank :(

Picasso Clown
Tiger Pistol

Nassarius

Florida Cerith
dwarf cerith
nerite
1 blue leg hermit

2 Scarlett hermit's
brittle stars

Previous FTS:

May 29, 2013

IMG_5469_zps3f165d54.jpg

March 15, 2013

IMG_0901-2_zps0f14280d.jpg

February 23, 2013

be923241-2e45-434e-ada8-bd427dfcda3f_zps

December 23, 2012

IMG_2653_zpsf7c3b521.jpg

November 29, 2012

CRW_8649.jpg

October 19, 2012
Photo_2__4_.jpg

August 30, 2012 (Day 0)
IMG_0660.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New hammer (2 heads). Green with purple tips in case the picture doesn't show it well.CRW_8676.jpg

Filling up that rack.
CRW_8610.jpgPeppermint shrimp before he disappeared

CRW_8456.jpgDamn Pistol stole my Red Cap frag! At least he has a good sense of decoration.

5F7E675E-6886-49AD-8656-5CD6202D97DE-758

Looks really nice, love the colors. I'm starting a nano also, but before I can even start the cycling process I need to make a custom stand. Only a few more days till Thanksgiving break when I can work on it.

Looks really nice, love the colors. I'm starting a nano also, but before I can even start the cycling process I need to make a custom stand. Only a few more days till Thanksgiving break when I can work on it.

I know you are starting a nano pisces. I helped you on r/aquariums ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Newest addition, carnation coral.
CRW_8532.jpg

Here is another hitchiker. My question is can I put him in the tank since I already have 1 pistol shrimp in there and this one is about half the size of the pistol in the tank now.

CRW_8569.jpg

Here is another hitchiker. My question is can I put him in the tank since I already have 1 pistol shrimp in there and this one is about half the size of the pistol in the tank now.

Nope. You can't have two pistol shrimp in a tank that small. They will try to kill each other. You'd need a very large tank to have more than one.

Nope. You can't have two pistol shrimp in a tank that small. They will try to kill each other. You'd need a very large tank to have more than one.

Okay cool. I will see if my LFS will take him for some store credit.

Nice carnation coral, what do you plan on feeding it?

So far I have been turning the pumps off, fill a turkey baster with water and add about 3 drops of phyto feast to the baster then squirting it at the carnation until most of the polyps have closed up.

I know they are a harder coral to care for and I will do my best to keep them alive, but all 4 frags was only $20 so if I lose them its not the end of the world

Glad to see another fellow college reefer's tank! :)

NorCal college reefers are few and far between, from my experience at least.

So far I have been turning the pumps off, fill a turkey baster with water and add about 3 drops of phyto feast to the baster then squirting it at the carnation until most of the polyps have closed up.

I know they are a harder coral to care for and I will do my best to keep them alive, but all 4 frags was only $20 so if I lose them its not the end of the world

I hope it works out for you. They require near constant foods, and should only be in a mature system. They should be fed micro planton foods, also BBS and smar particulare foods meant for filter feeders. Most people that have NPS have dosers to feed constantly.

I hope it works out for you. They require near constant foods, and should only be in a mature system. They should be fed micro planton foods, also BBS and smar particulare foods meant for filter feeders. Most people that have NPS have dosers to feed constantly.

I know I jumped into a coral that will be difficult to care for and I will try my best. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Now you see me...

IMG_2696_zpsfc6130ba.jpgNow you don''t!

IMG_2698_zps3feb5219.jpgYes the blur inside the cave is actually him. He was digging when something spooked him and darted back inside but I was lucky enough to capture his"dust" that he left behind.

Awesome scape

Thanks, I realized how bad my original scape was. I had an scaping epiphany the other day and the new FTS is the outcome of that epiphany lol

• 1 month later...

So my molly experiment went very well, except for when she got her tail stuck in the powerhead which shredded it then went to the bottom and my hermits finished her off quite sad. Any ways I picked up this guy from my LFS today here he is in his beautiful display tank at the LFS

CCD2ACAF-8B36-4D81-86E2-46DCCD9D4EFF-179

and in my tank

4cd90534-7418-4d95-a7c9-9a7dc911ea6e_zps

supermarvin76

Looks great.

On another note- I'm sorry for this, but I'm glad I saw this "Hi Fin red banded goby Jumped out of the tank"

I have been tossing the idea around in my head about a screen top, and I think you've sealed the deal for me. Maybe.

Looks great.

On another note- I'm sorry for this, but I'm glad I saw this "Hi Fin red banded goby Jumped out of the tank"

I have been tossing the idea around in my head about a screen top, and I think you've sealed the deal for me. Maybe.

I have a plexiglass lid that I cut to fit around my AC70 and he made it through a 1/2" gap in the lid.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived