Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Front Desk Tank

JamesHL88

That might be the one yoshi. I need starfish care 101 advice. I have never kept one before. The only inverts i have kept are hermits, snails, and a shrimp. Will a chocolate chip eat flake or pellet? These people really want one and i do to.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So disaster struck last night :( The filter sock broke free and emptied carbon in the five gallon bucket (temorary sump) blowing dust all over the display. The water is greyish. How can i clear the water? I changed the five gallon bucket with a clean one and removed the mesh bag of carbon. The fish are in the tank but they seem to be acting fine. This is really embarasing considering its not my tank so i need suggestions on how to clean this mess up.

So disaster struck last night :( The filter sock broke free and emptied carbon in the five gallon bucket (temorary sump) blowing dust all over the display. The water is greyish. How can i clear the water? I changed the five gallon bucket with a clean one and removed the mesh bag of carbon. The fish are in the tank but they seem to be acting fine. This is really embarasing considering its not my tank so i need suggestions on how to clean this mess up.

Use the finest filter sock you can get (like 5 micron) and use a flocculent like Seachem Clarity and it will clear it up. Won't hurt fish or anything else.

I added the stuff like that from wallmart. I think the brand was clear water or something. Thanks for easing my mind :)

I'd watch out on what brand of product you use - the off-brand ones like that usually have little quality control or may have side effects.

That might be the one yoshi. I need starfish care 101 advice. I have never kept one before. The only inverts i have kept are hermits, snails, and a shrimp. Will a chocolate chip eat flake or pellet? These people really want one and i do to.

It needs meaty foods like mysis, clam, squid, etc

Checked on the tank this morning and the water is all cleared up and the fish alre swimmimg and eating normal. There was a layer of carbon dust all over the sand and rocks. Looked like this 2012-10-01081651.jpg

So i turkey basted the rocks and syphoned it all up :) didnt get any pictures though. I get nervous in the lobby of a business looking like a wierdo messing with the aquarium :P also the angel is really cool but the turd is scared of me and constantly stays on the opposite side of the tank. So i will have to do better with the pictures. Really not alot to look at yet though.

Acrylic is purchased just havent cut it yet. Stay tuned

Looking good! I'm sure they don't think you are a weirdo, most likely they are trying to figure out exactly what you are with all your tools and a 5 gallon paint bucket! lol

Cut the acrylic on a table saw today. Soo much better than scoring and breaking it. So take that LOWES :naughtydance: Just built the sump.

PICTURES!

Taped

2012-10-02182219.jpg

Glued

2012-10-02190736.jpg

Brainstorming

2012-10-02192917.jpg

Fin

2012-10-02202205.jpg

there's an abundance of non reef safe wrasse that are cheap, and hardy, and perty.

True ive been eyeballing some

What can go in with a lion? This tank has to have a starfish and some color. These are the clients request.

Ooh get a Marine Beta!

I decided to go with small community tank fish for a variety of colors, and since im familliar with them. Im installing the sump now. Ill do the skimmer another day. Ill get a sump picture when its done.

The sump is in! Unfortunately the skimmer will have to be soft plumbed in to fit. Doesnt really matter right now with just three small fish. So that will be the next addition.

2012-10-03161303.jpg

Goin out of town till monday so i hope everything runs smooth while im gone.

The bicolor angel died while I was out of town. It was always acting skittish and hidding. I wasnt around for feeding until today and i noticed that the big blue damsel is really bullying the rest of the tank at feeding time. Im thinkin the angel was starved, because it seemed in perfect health otherwise but seemed too timid for an angel.

Anyways bad news over. The system itself performed flawlessly otherwise.

2012-10-10104816.jpg

2012-10-10104847.jpg

2012-10-10105039.jpg

Added a turbo snail and a hermit from my tank today. If they make it through the week then im ordering a CUC from reefcleaners and probably some low light macros.

Turbo is still alive and the hermit is MIA. I think he made the silicone climb to the overflow. just ordered a CUC from John at reefcleaners. Bout time too! This tank has mad diatoms now. And i am officially a believer in biospira. This 110 gallon tank cycled in about two weeks with 3 fish and dry rock.

Ok so im waiting on the owner to decide what she wants to put in as show pieces. I also was greeted by an enormous diatom and cyano outbreak. I grilled the secretaries and found out that they have left the tank lights on for 2 weeks (facepalm). So timers alwill be added.

On a better note i did a water change, supplied them with a mag float, and added these from reefcleaners :)

2012-10-26113707.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived