ReefCleaners.org

Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes

VeganBrian

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
second_decimal

great info and examples of aquascaping. i started out out with some basic Marco Rock. Those did not fit together as well as i had hoped so i added some branch pieces that brought some diversity into the scape but still looked like a pile of rocks with some sticks. I ordered some stax rock (2 little fishies/Marco) so i could get some shelf space. the 2 things i kept in mind was space from the glass (you don't wand a spot where the magnet doesn't fit between the scape and the glass) and barebottom. So I cut some of the original Marco rock with a circ saw and a carbide tipped normally used for plywood (lots of little teeth) to create some flat spaces so the rock would fit flush with the back and bottom aquarium panel. Not recommend to anyone because honestly, i was glad that i had all my fingers after that.  This is where i'm at right now i might rescape sometime in the future but content for now. Ther is a court jester goby in there that likes to filter sand however and did not want to loose that so i added a small "channel" with some sand in it.

DSC_0737.thumb.JPG.0a1c7290823986fc665eba8ca6c795ae.JPG

DSC_0742.thumb.JPG.461090ad48bf09156a427bb331f6a25c.JPG

• Like 1

My display is a tiered aquascape.  It requires and utilizes a lot of rock and a lot of sand which is not for everyone.  Definitely not minimalistic, LOL.  It does offer a lot of biological filter naturally and it looks natural for those who like that.  Also it works well for tall tanks.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
42 minutes ago, vlangel said:

My display is a tiered aquascape.  It requires and utilizes a lot of rock and a lot of sand which is not for everyone.  Definitely not minimalistic, LOL.  It does offer a lot of biological filter naturally and it looks natural for those who like that.  Also it works well for tall tanks.

I've always liked the way you created the deep vs shallow sand sections for the bottom of the tank.    

• Like 2
Just now, mitten_reef said:

I've always liked the way you created the deep vs shallow sand sections for the bottom of the tank.    

Thank you mitten_reef, I really appreciate the positive comment.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Great thread. Making me rethink everything as my tank is cycling.

I'd appreciate feedback on my scape. Just cooking the rocks right now, so I can change things. I'm going to empty the water and change the sand out for brighter, whiter sand. And I still have to epoxy the rocks together.

I'm not thrilled with how symmetrical it is. Small tank (10 gal), so not a whole lot of room. Also trying to draw attention away from the HOB filter and skimmer. I have more rock pieces in reserve to work with.

IMG_2425.jpeg