ReefCleaners.org

LED Light question

sndw

I have Nano cube 28g Peo LED 89W. I want to add a LED light strip to make my tank more blue. Is it gonna harm my coral, live stock? Which type of LED I should get and where? Thanks

ps: How can I dim the light on my Nano Cube??

I want to add a LED light strip to make my tank more blue. Is it gonna harm my coral, live stock?
Are you running it during the day with the Dawn/Dusk (4 x 3 Watt — Actinic/466nm) bulbs on? That should get you the blue that you want.

How can I dim the light on my Nano Cube??
You can dim some LEDs, while others you cannot. However, I wouldn't think you'd want to dim the lights. Most coral will do better with high intensity lighting like you have.

Dimming LEDs requires dimmable LED drivers. I believe the stock drivers in the Nanocube 29 "LED" model hood are not dimmable, so the short answer is "you probably can't." As seabass said, you probably don't want to anyway; up to a point, more light is better. And the Nanocube 29 lights haven't yet reached that point. =)

Remind me again, is the NanoCube 29 the one with like a zillion white LEDs and no blue ones? I always forget which AIO it is with the ridiculous ratio of three blue to forty something white.

Anyway, there are also a few people on here who have had some bad experiences putting little LED strip lights inside sealed all-in-one system hoods (the high humidity makes them rust and/or fail). I DIY my LED rigs (three so far!) so I have limited experience with commercial products, but I would advise you to do some research on this forum into things like Ecoxotic Stunner strips to make sure they'd be ok in a Biocube hood before you invest.

Archived