Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maroon Clown Fish Fighting

tet024

Hi,

Today i purchased another maroon clown fish and as soon and i placed it in the tank with the another maroon fish they started to fight. The "old fish" started to fight with the "new one". Now i placed the old one in another tank.... The Old one is a little bit larger then the new one. How can i get pair them up?

Thanks

Etienne

maroons can be difficult to pair... especially if you have an established one already.

Hopefully there is considerable size difference between the two and the one you purchased is a known male or still gender neutral.

One trick you can try is to pull your female - rearrange the tank and then add your new maroon let it settle in and then add your existing female. Hopefully she will think it's a new tank and won't be as protective and open to the new pairing.

Another thing you can try is float your female in the tank in a critir keeper or some transparent container where she can get fresh water for a couple of days and then try releasing her. If she fights put her back in the container and try again. Be prepaired to repeat as many times as it takes.

Keep in mind if your new fish is close in size it may continue to try and challenge your female and if it is already female itself the pairing is hopeless as they will surely fight to the death.

Maroons are typically not as accepting as ocellaris or perculas and you may have a tough road ahead of you.

maroons can be difficult to pair... especially if you have an established one already.

Hopefully there is considerable size difference between the two and the one you purchased is a known male or still gender neutral.

One trick you can try is to pull your female - rearrange the tank and then add your new maroon let it settle in and then add your existing female. Hopefully she will think it's a new tank and won't be as protective and open to the new pairing.

Another thing you can try is float your female in the tank in a critir keeper or some transparent container where she can get fresh water for a couple of days and then try releasing her. If she fights put her back in the container and try again. Be prepaired to repeat as many times as it takes.

Keep in mind if your new fish is close in size it may continue to try and challenge your female and if it is already female itself the pairing is hopeless as they will surely fight to the death.

Maroons are typically not as accepting as ocellaris or perculas and you may have a tough road ahead of you.

Thanks for your reply. The Old Maroon Clown was placed in the tank some 4 months ago . Could it have changed the gender to female already? Currently i removed the "old Maroon clown" in another tank and place the new one instead of it. For how long shall keep them separated. I did this operation last Tuesday so only 2 days have passed.

Thanks

Et

Archived