Pod Your Reef

What are the current options for DC recirculation pumps?

Adrian_

I must say from the start that I'm not interested in spending top dollar on Red Dragons (which are basically Askoll pumps with fancy cases) or anything similary priced.

However I'm looking for a good DC recirculation pump so I can set up a backup system for my saltwater aquarium. It has to be saltwater safe (of course) and I'd very much preffer something capable of lifting at least 1000l/h at 3meters head.

What would be the current options that I have? Thank you in advance for your advice :)

• 2 weeks later...
A Waveline DC-5000 comes close, but it will shut off at 3 meters. Do you really have that much head pressure? However, they also have some other pumps that might work better for you. :unsure:

Dont forget they also make the DC10000, or atleast they will be if it isnt already out

I'm working on a silent setup, with the sump placed in the basement. :)

I think the DC10000 is out. But I'm totally unable to find any feedback on it.

I'm working on a silent setup, with the sump placed in the basement. :)

I think the DC10000 is out. But I'm totally unable to find any feedback on it.

Most likely it's as reliable and well working as the rest of there stuff, I REALLY like the skimmers they make and am really having a tough time deciding on the RLS6 and the Avast Marine CS1, its about 100 dollar price difference but I REALLY like the Waveline pumps

• 1 month later...

There are several reasons but the most important is that I want to buy a backup generator. So it's either a DC pump or a very expensive "pure sinewave" generator.

For battery backup systems, do you really need to have all equipment running full? Lights can be dimmed to 10% - just enough to keep the coral from going to sleep, and you can use low wattage power heads to keep the flow while the power's out. It seems like overkill to have a generator to power the entire system for an occasional power outage. It's great if you can afford to do it... but maybe reconsider some low-power options?

jedimasterben
I have a 1400VA APC since 2005 :)

I need a generator because during the last year I had two power outages that lasted more then 12 hours each.

The generator will produce its normal signal and have the pure sine UPS plugged into it and all the tank stuff plugged into that. :)

In theory yes.

Practically, as I mentioned, I want to use the generator for the entire house. This means a lot of applications that cannot be runned directly from a generatpr that doesn't produce "pure" sinewave. So I'd have to purchase either another 2-3 1000-1500VA UPS's or a generator that produces "pure" sinewave.

The second solution just seems more cost-effective.

• 1 month later...

Archived