SaltCritters.com

How to do it yourself protein skimmer! (HTDIYPS)

reefcheese

Hey gang,

I'm interested in making a protein skimmer to put in my 20g sump. Does anyone know any plans for a simple and cheap solution?

Thanks for the help!! :D:D

edit: In all seriousness, how big is your tank. We know your sump is 20 gallons...but the display?

hehe! I have a 20gh sump/fuge and a 20gl display. I've had gha, maybe bryopsis, in the main tank for a couple months and it's annoying!! I'd like to make a nice n simple skimmer to hopefully remove some toxins.

edit: In all seriousness, how big is your tank. We know your sump is 20 gallons...but the display?

hehe! I have a 20gh sump/fuge and a 20gl display. I've had gha, maybe bryopsis, in the main tank for a couple months and it's annoying!! I'd like to make a nice n simple skimmer to hopefully remove some toxins.

40 gallons? Buy one. :)

Not my idea, came across it on a forum somewhere...

Get one of those gravel vacuums, put an airstone in the bottom, skimmate will drain via the tube at the top

"Simplified Reef Keeping" by Robert M. Metelsky has a great article on how to build a protein skimmer, including a parts list and diagrams. When I have time I will scan and post the article.

Archived