Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Schreiba's 83g Miracles Rimless [40x24x20]

teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Can we see some Pics ... :-)

Looks purrdy for sure !

Is that Starphire glass. .. looks so clear .. no tint

Yep it's a starphire front panel and really looks great now that there's water in the tank.

How's everything going?

I have everything plumbed but need to fix a couple leaks before I have it up and running. I also have rocks and sand in the tank and have started adding MB7 to try and accelerate the cycle. Just need to finish up the floating canopy and put the doors on and it'll really be looking good :happy:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep it's a starphire front panel and really looks great now that there's water in the tank.

you know better to not post pictures of a wet tank <_<

teamschreiba

you know better to not post pictures of a wet tank <_<

:lol: Well the plumbing wasn't up and running so it didn't look the greatest.

I got the plumbing up and running today though with no leaks! The water level is just running a little high so I need to find a way to bring it down. I really should have had them cut the teeth on the overflow a little lower. Also made some progress of the floating canopy and I think it's going to look great. I don't think I've ever seen this done on a tank so I'm pretty excited to unveil it :happy: Also got the front door installed so I just have the side doors to finish up.

Also having to scape this tank is going to be a challenge for me. On my ADA 60-F it was relatively simple since there was so little space to work with. I think I have one island how I want it but I have a feeling I'll change the other one ten times before I get it how I want it.

• 2 weeks later...

A real FTS!

8388670522_61006aec73_c.jpg
I added 2 Barlett's Anthias this past weekend and plan on picking up another two sometime soon. I've also started transferring some corals over from the 60-f and they seem to be doing okay. I need to finish aquascaping as well since I'm not satisfied with the right island at all. One more issue is that the right island is getting most of the light from the halide with the left island being a little darker. I need to decide if I want to add some LEDs to my fixture to spotlight the left island or not. So many decisions and changes will be happening over the next month until I'm happy with where the tank is at. I am enjoying this build so much though and am excited for it to keep moving along. I'll try and take another picture sometime during the day that really captures the stand and floating canopy since they turned out even better than I had expected :happy:
  • Like 1

Woah you have it up and running! This tank is gonna be epic without a doubt. Is the stand white and canopy black? (kinda hard to tell in that photo with the conflicting lights)

wow looks awesome man.

you gonna add another mp40?

Thanks Jr! And not right now, the flow from the one seems like more than enough but once the corals start to grow out I wouldn't be surprised if I had to add another one.

Wow, very sleek. Love it!

Thanks!!

Woah you have it up and running! This tank is gonna be epic without a doubt. Is the stand white and canopy black? (kinda hard to tell in that photo with the conflicting lights)

Thanks! The stand is all white but the canopy has a special treatment that I want to unveil with a picture to see what people think. It is grey in color though.

Have you been to incredible corals in manassas? And more pics!

Nope not yet, I'm going to a few stores this weekend though so maybe I'll check it out. I'll take more pictures this weekend too! I want some with sunlight in the room so I can really capture the stand and floating canopy.

Well since it snowed here in Northern Virginia today I figured I'd take a quick daylight shot of the tank!

8410700579_50ec8287da_c.jpg
I did a DIY concrete treatment to the floating canopy to give it more of an industrial/modern look than just painting it white. Let me know what you think! If anyone wants more details about it, I'd be happy to share :happy:
Things still left to finish that are visible in this picture:
1. Move MP40 to other side of the tank
2. Finish mounting side door to the stand
3. Finish aquascaping
4. Paint mounting hardware on floating canopy
5. Hide wire from floating canopy.
  • Like 5

Things still left to finish that are visible in this picture:

1. Move MP40 to other side of the tank
2. Finish mounting side door to the stand
3. Finish aquascaping
4. Paint mounting hardware on floating canopy
5. Hide wire from floating canopy.

Will winter ever end?! We had a blizzard yesterday in Edmonton, and it's just awful!

Few questions and comments for you:

1. Good idea, keep with the aesthetics.

2. Looks clean BTW

3. Whaaa?! It's amazing so far. What are you plans?

4. What color?

5. And just how will you be doing that? I need ideas here... :P

Looks amazing, and i really dig the concrete look. How did you achieve that? I've always dreamed of having a concrete wall in my dining room/bedroom, but living in a condo prebuilt, I don't have much options than DIY reno. I would love some tips or link.

Will winter ever end?! We had a blizzard yesterday in Edmonton, and it's just awful!

Few questions and comments for you:

1. Good idea, keep with the aesthetics.

2. Looks clean BTW

3. Whaaa?! It's amazing so far. What are you plans?

4. What color?

5. And just how will you be doing that? I need ideas here... :P

Looks amazing, and i really dig the concrete look. How did you achieve that? I've always dreamed of having a concrete wall in my dining room/bedroom, but living in a condo prebuilt, I don't have much options than DIY reno. I would love some tips or link.

Well this is the measurable first snow I've had here in like 2 years so I'm actually pretty excited :P I'll try and answer your questions though...

3. Try and create a little taller structure on the right hand side but also have it be relatively minimalistic and open.

4. Probably just the same color as the chain so it blends better.

5. Use one of these and paint it to match the wall.

For the concrete finish, I used a product called Ardex SD-M which can be applied in very thin layers so not much additional weight was added to the fixture. I used acrylic sheets clamped down to the wet concrete to give it the polished finish (this was probably the 6th method I used before I finally got it how I wanted) and then used a chisel to clean up the edges. I should have taken more pictures of the process and written up a detailed DIY on it. If you're going to give it a try feel free to send me a PM or post in here with more questions.

Wow very nice diy!

Thanks!

The canopy looks simply awesome.

Thanks! I was really going for something I had never seen before on the forums.

Looking great.

Home today cuz of the federal government unscheduled telecommute day? I hope we don't get a lot of snow tomorrow.

Thanks brad! And pretty much yeah, I could have made it in but I saw like three accidents before I got out of my neighborhood and it probably would have taken two hours to get to work. I know and I think it's supposed to start snowing during the PM rush hour :(

That canopy is awesome! I would actually love to do a stand that looks like that. This build is turning out awesome man, can't wait to see it stocked.

That canopy is awesome! I would actually love to do a stand that looks like that. This build is turning out awesome man, can't wait to see it stocked.

Thanks jg! Building the stand was a little tricky at times but it turned out pretty well (even if it's not 100% finished yet :P ). I can't take credit for the giant front door since I had that built from a custom cabinet door website, but everything else is DIY. Let me know if you ever need any help!

I want to keep adding fish and corals too but I'm going to take it slow since I don't want a huge nutrient spike and cycle and have the rocks be covered in algae. I'll and keep taking pics to keep the thread updated though!

Sweet finnish on the canopy! I considered using concrete board for my stands facade, but couldnt get a clean straight cut so I eventually ditched the idea. I'm glad you found a way to incorperate it into your design, I may fo something similar on my stabd in the future now that I know a method that will work. Kudos for the innovative design.

Sweet finnish on the canopy! I considered using concrete board for my stands facade, but couldnt get a clean straight cut so I eventually ditched the idea. I'm glad you found a way to incorperate it into your design, I may fo something similar on my stabd in the future now that I know a method that will work. Kudos for the innovative design.

Thanks! Yeah I considered a lot of options because I knew I wanted a concrete finish and eventually found this product. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a concrete look that doesn't add a lot of weight. Just be prepared to practice and go through a few trials before really nailing down the process.

When I saw the canopy I thought "what?" It looks like solid concrete, really cool. Have you thought about doing the stand this way as well? I think it would look very industrial and unique. Tank is looking great. Enjoy the snow. :)

Christine

When I saw the canopy I thought "what?" It looks like solid concrete, really cool. Have you thought about doing the stand this way as well? I think it would look very industrial and unique. Tank is looking great. Enjoy the snow. :)

Christine

Thanks Christine! I thought about doing the stand that way too but I think I like the contrast and combination of white stand, glass aquarium, and concrete canopy. Also, I don't know how well it would hold up to the abuse of taking the door on and off all the time. The floating canopy will rarely be touched so it should hold up just fine. I will make sure to enjoy the snow too especially with my Jeep Wrangler :happy:

i am usually not a fan of canopies, but this one is definitely done RIGHT. It also leaves a lot of options for upgrades, adding supplemental led strips etc.. while keeping a tidy look.

Archived