inTank Media Baskets

"The Two Towers" 62G SPS Starfire Reef (Rebooted)

JDigital

Well, here we go again.... Although this tank, is not at the office! :mrgreen:

A bit of background can be found here on the last few pages: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57734. Basically, evicted, tank sale, new place/roommate didn't want to risk a tank in his new house/no reefing for 3 years. Fast forward to today, and here I am typing up a new tank journal.

Background: A week or so ago I brought up the idea to my roommate asking if there was any possible incentive for him in allowing me to setup this tank in return for me upping my own monthly rent to him. I never heard a reply from him for close to a week, we actually barely even spoke for days on end, but I just left it with him to think about and didn't push the question any further. 2 days ago I come home from work and he is outside working on his car, I stopped, we chatted, and the discussion of the tank came up and he asked me a few questions, mentioned some things he had read during his research in the days prior (when we hadn't spoke to one another). I told him my plans and precautions, design ideas, etc. Gave him a few more days to think and sent a text msg today asking if he had given it anymore consideration.

We just finished speaking about it this evening and obviously, since I am typing up this journal, have come to an agreement.

So here begins my next reef tank.

Anyone who has read my 180G Office journal has probably seen the tank that I will be starting. It is a 62G, 40"x18"x20" euro-braced tank, with an external rear overflow and a starfire (low-iron) front glass. This wasn't a tank that I ordered, it just happened to be a tank that Dave @ Concepts Aquatics had sitting in the shop. Something about it called out to me.. I'm not sure if it was the dimensions, the euro-bracing, the polished edges, external overflow. Maybe a combination of all those, but I immediately told him that I wanted to take it, even though at the time I really had no place to set it up, but wanted it for the future anyways. They finished the tank up (overflow, silicone trimming, etc) and I picked it up a week or so later.

IMG_0180.jpg

Equipment List:

- 40x18x20 Starphire Custom Tank from Concept Aquariums, Full Polished Euro-brace

- 38x18x20 Sump from Concept Aquariums

- Reef Octopus XP2000-SSS Skimmer

- Reef Octopus Water Blaster HY-3000 Return Pump

- 2x Ecotech MP10WES Powerheads

- 2x TLF 150 Reactors (HC-GFO & Vertex 0.8 ROX Carbon) w/ Mag 3 Feed Pump

- Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite

- ATI Dimmable Sunpower - 6x39W T5 Fixture

- 1x 250W Ebo-jager Heater

- Tunze ATO System

Fish List:

TBA

Coral List:

TBA

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice tank, can't wait to see what you do to it.

Bakenn - Thank for checking out my thread. Trust me, I can't wait to get started on this! :)

Here is a break down of the equipment I plan to use on this build.

62G Euro-braced Tank w/ Low Iron Front Glass

- 40x18x20 w/ External Overflow with 2-1" drains and 2-3/4" returns.

- Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite w/ SL1

- Custom Sump (35x19x16)

- Skimz SK181 Skimmer or a CSC equivalent

- Water Blaster HY-3000W Return pump

- 2x VorTech MP10W w/ Battery Backup

- Puratek RO/DI System - 100GPD

- LED Lighting (undetermined which brand) with DIY light rack

- Tunze ATO

- Marco Dry Rock

- 40lbs of Aragamax 1-2mm Substrate

- 2 TLF Reactors with Rowaphos and Carbon

Looking great, I have heard only good things about Dave at Concept. What is the glass thickness may I ask, just curious. Any idea on the filtration method yet? Livestock?

Looking great, I have heard only good things about Dave at Concept. What is the glass thickness may I ask, just curious. Any idea on the filtration method yet? Livestock?

Hi Nanotopia - Thanks for stopping by my build. Nice to see more Canadians on here, ;) The glass is 3/8" everywhere. Filtration is planned to be Live rock, Filter sock, Skimz SK181 Skimmer, 2 TLF reactors with rowaphos and carbon and refuge.

I haven't really given any thought to livestock yet. At least nothing serious, but I am thinking of taking the road less traveled with less mainstream choices. My main goals right now are to get my stand ordered, my sump designed/ordered and leak test the display tank.

this is going to be a great build

Thanks! Hope you tag along during the process :)

Oh! You're here too.

Following along. :)

I thought that name looked familiar. ;)

The stand should be done and delivered on Oct.3... which as I type this has dawned on me that might possibly interfere with my weekly online racing. :o First race of the season too... Hmm will have to look into that. :lol:

Is Greg building your stand, or did you find someone more local?

Yea, getting greg to build it... I could have built it myself where I work, but I didn't want to be bothered with ordering the steel and stuff. Greg was just the easiest choice, and probably quicker. :happy:

Yea, getting greg to build it... I could have built it myself where I work, but I didn't want to be bothered with ordering the steel and stuff. Greg was just the easiest choice, and probably quicker. :happy:

Who is delivering it? I got a quote from him for the stand for the big tank Dave will be building for me in the new year. I didn't ask about delivery, as I assumed I would have to pick it up. Picking it up would easily cost me $75 in gas in my Superduty.

Ae you having anything special done for the stand for this build? Skinning it? Interesting dimensions?

Who is delivering it? I got a quote from him for the stand for the big tank Dave will be building for me in the new year. I didn't ask about delivery, as I assumed I would have to pick it up. Picking it up would easily cost me $75 in gas in my Superduty.

Ae you having anything special done for the stand for this build? Skinning it? Interesting dimensions?

When he quoted me, I asked if the price included delivery, and his reply was that it included delivery based on when he would be coming down to Calgary, not when I want/needed it. That just happened to be Oct.3 on his schedule which works for me. I'm guessing for a large tank stand, he may look for a bit of compensation? Wouldn't hurt to ask him though. Perhaps he may only add an additional $25-50 and you would still come out ahead.

I didn't get him to skin it as I will do that myself. The overall dimensions of the stand are 40x22.5x37. The bottom has 2 cross braces equally spaced to support the sump, and the top has 2 footprints, 40x18 to support the tank and 40x22.5 to accommodate the external overflow and still be pushed up against the wall. Only thing I did differently than most people is getting it finished in White rather than black, as to illuminate the sump area a bit more. I'm going for the meticulous operating room white look in the sump area. :lol:

Looking forward to getting it so I can get the tank out of my room and start the leak test. B)

I'm trying to decide which lights to go with. I want to do LED for the simple fact of reduced heat in the house.

I was considering the regular AI SOL Blues.. but with the new Vegas out, I'm not sure. Which one is better? Especially considering this is going to be a SPS tank. I am a SUPER newbie when it comes to the detailed specifics of LEDs, so any advise would be great!

Picked up my sump tank from my tank builder yesterday after I was done fiddling with the 180G at the office.

Actually, I went into the tank builder to place my order for a sump, and when he asked me what dimensions I was looking at and I told him, he mentioned he had a sump already made only 4 inches taller, but with a built in RO reservoir and Refuge. So I had to have a look and after measuring the compartment sizes and double checking that it would work with my stand I decided to take it.

The right side is the RO reservoir, which holds about 17G, the middle section at the front is the refugium, the middle section in the back is the return area, and the large section on the left is for the skimmer.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Brought it into the garage this evening and filled it with freshwater to leak test and also rinse out the dust that it accumulated sitting in the shop.

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Well my tank stand builder came through for me a day early, and dropped off my tank stand tonight.

I went a bit different that most and had it finished in white. Really like the clean look it gives, compared to black. Now I need to get the water out of the sump from the leak test, and get the display tank out of my bedroom and back downstairs to leak test that.

photo5.jpg

Can't wait to see this come together. I have not used the AI LED's but I think they would work fine. I like the Vegas and the price point, I would only guess at this point you would need 3 of them for a 62g SPS tank. 2 blue/white and 1 colour. It might be a bit more power than needed but with the controllers you could dial in the right spectrum. ModularLED out your way carries them.

Also, I say this because of what I am going through ATM, I highly suggest setting up a 20 gallon SPS QT tank right now, before you get the 62g up and running. The reason is that many SPS today are infected with AEFW's, especially maricultured stuff from the Indo Pacific (Fiji/Bali/etc). There are also other pests to consider. I recommend a two month QT period before adding Acros to your 62g. There is NO way to know if SPS are infected until you see bite marks and eggs, by they it's too late. Monti's come with monti eating nudibranchs, acro's could have red bugs or AEFW. Not trying to scare you but trying to save you possible nightmares in the future. In a SPS dominant tank, the cost of a SPS QT is warranted IMO.

I am following this fab build :)

I cannot even begin to tell you how ready I am to see this tank mature and grow :happydance:

Jneighbors - Thanks for stopping by my thread. I do hope you are a patient person though as I have a ways to go with setup before I even get around to thinking about stocking and growth. :lol: Keep an eye on this thread though as I do update as often as I can, even more small details.

looks pretty awesome so far

Thanks Hyper. I'm hoping by the end of the weekend that both tanks leak tested, cleaned and situated on the stand. I do know that I need to shave the black acrylic holes where the bulk head returns need to go as they don't like up perfectly with the glass holes.

Can't wait to see this come together. I have not used the AI LED's but I think they would work fine. I like the Vegas and the price point, I would only guess at this point you would need 3 of them for a 62g SPS tank. 2 blue/white and 1 colour. It might be a bit more power than needed but with the controllers you could dial in the right spectrum. ModularLED out your way carries them.

Also, I say this because of what I am going through ATM, I highly suggest setting up a 20 gallon SPS QT tank right now, before you get the 62g up and running. The reason is that many SPS today are infected with AEFW's, especially maricultured stuff from the Indo Pacific (Fiji/Bali/etc). There are also other pests to consider. I recommend a two month QT period before adding Acros to your 62g. There is NO way to know if SPS are infected until you see bite marks and eggs, by they it's too late. Monti's come with monti eating nudibranchs, acro's could have red bugs or AEFW. Not trying to scare you but trying to save you possible nightmares in the future. In a SPS dominant tank, the cost of a SPS QT is warranted IMO.

I am following this fab build :)

Thanks Nano - Definitely not scared off by your comments. I have dealt with my fair share of flatworms and nudis in the past. Unfortunately due to space and my current agreement with the landlord I am about maxed out on water quantity for this build and really have no way of incorporating a QT tank into the system. My only option would be to loose the refuge in my sump, use it as my RO top off holding tank, and then use the originally planned RO reservoir as the QT system, but that would have no filtration, just lighting and flow which isn't ideal.

90% of my coral will be frags from CoralMaster and a few select reefers around town. With my previous tanks I dipped everything I put in the tank as well, not a guarantee, but definitely one step to helping minimize the risk.

Thanks for checking out my build, you are on Canreef correct?

Not much of an update but I finally got both tanks leak tested during the week. Got them situated on the stand last night. Actually starting to look like a tank build now. :razz:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Couple more bits and pieces for the system... Will be picking up plumbing parts tomorrow. Hopefully have this thing plumbed by end of the weekend.

7-28-10_waterblaster-3000.jpg

And a 2nd 150W Heater.

Eheim_Ebo_Jager_150W_Heater.jpg

JD, I wasn't trying to scare you off, by no means. Guess I was just telling you how I will do it in the future. The worms are everywhere now and after just loosing a ton of coral to them, all I can do is warn others I guess. Your tank is off to a great start, looking forward to the rest of the build. No canreef for me, I like it here :)

JD, I wasn't trying to scare you off, by no means. Guess I was just telling you how I will do it in the future. The worms are everywhere now and after just loosing a ton of coral to them, all I can do is warn others I guess. Your tank is off to a great start, looking forward to the rest of the build. No canreef for me, I like it here :)

I would love to have a Coral and Fish QT as well, but I a) Just don't have the space B) had a hard enough time getting this tank approved through the roommate :lol: I don't want to push my luck.. haha

that sump is so amazing.

Thanks Miller. I'll pass those kinds word onto my tank builder. :happy:

Bit of an update:

I got a majority of the plumbing done today, and like usual it took more than 1 trip to Lowes for parts. :lol: I don't think I have ever successfully plumbed a system by making only 1 trip to the store for parts.

I say the majority of the plumbing is done, when in fact I should be completely done, but for the 3rd time in a row I've got issue with brand new pumps. Certainly not Concepts fault, but I'm definitely having bad luck with gear lately (My WB HY7000 for the Office 180 had a bad impeller, and my air pump for my Skimz had been making noise as well, and now this). This pump was sealed brand new, and yet when I open it up the Union coupling was COMPLETELY different that what it should be. So that has left me hanging with the return portion of the plumbing not done until I can get back in to Concept and hopefully get the right coupling to finish the job.

Couple photos:

plumb4.jpg

plumb3.jpg

plumb1.jpg

And I threw in a few lbs of sand I had left over from the Office tank, just to give it that look of progress. :mrgreen:

sand.jpg

Archived