Cultivated Reef

Do you like your Trochus snails?

duganderson

I'm interested in a adding a few Trochus snails to my CUC. Do you like them or do they have drawbacks?

I've heard they naturally reproduce in a an aquarium? Is this true? Do they reproduce too much where it is a problem? Do you just remove the babies so you don't have too many snails?

My tank is a 28 g. with CF lights, a few fish, softies, frogspawn, a macro algae soon, and 2 RBTA.

I wish mine would reproduce, but I've never heard of them populating a tank. I think they are just about the best snail to have, along with a few ceriths. I would go with 6-10 trouchus plus other snails for your tank.

My single banded trochus has been doing well for the last few months. The next time the store near me has them in stock I'm getting a second one.

Pretty shell, busy glass & rockscape cleaner, hermit-crab resistant and self-righting... there's not much to not like about this snail. They can reproduce in tanks, but in most cases the baby snails will get eaten/filtered out of the water column in pretty short order. If they do survive to maturity (and you decide you don't want them), pick 'em out and sell them to a local store or give them away to other reefers!

Banded black foot trochus. Easily my favorite and most hard working snail I have. They're the main algae force in my nanos and they do a great job at not being bulldozers while eating algae on both rock and glass. The biggest plus is that they can right them selves up when they fall off the rock!

• 2 weeks later...

They can definitely reproduce, and in large quantities. I bought 4 trochus snails maybe 2 years ago and before my tank swap a few months ago I collected 24 adults. I brought over 9 for the new tank and they are already spawning.

They can definitely reproduce, and in large quantities. I bought 4 trochus snails maybe 2 years ago and before my tank swap a few months ago I collected 24 adults. I brought over 9 for the new tank and they are already spawning.

Are you worried they could overtake your tank OR get out of control or do you just easily remove them?

Banded black foot trochus. Easily my favorite and most hard working snail I have. They're the main algae force in my nanos and they do a great job at not being bulldozers while eating algae on both rock and glass. The biggest plus is that they can right them selves up when they fall off the rock!

This ^^

Are you worried they could overtake your tank OR get out of control or do you just easily remove them?

They will not overtake your tank. They will produce alot of baby snails but these snails will basically compete amongst themselves. The amount of food in your tank will only allow only a certain number of these snails to survive.

There is a small possibility they could clog plumbing or pumps but I have not ever had this happen to me. Baby trochus snails are probably too hard to remove them manually... there are just too many of them and they are very good at hiding because they start very small.

My favorite thing about my banded trochus is their ability to fling harmit crabs that are climbing on their shell and harassing them by doing a really quick spinning move.

Archived