Pod Your Reef

Camera gear storage

andykee

How does everyone do it?

I'm looking for a better solution than what I have right now, which is: spread out across three shelves in my closed, commingled with random computer gear and several dozen bottles of aging beer.

EDIT: just to clarify, I am really looking for suggestions about home storage (i.e. not in the field). To those of you who suggested backpacks, is this your home storage method?

They sell cases for just about every respectable camera. They are a bit expensive, so what I've always done with my higher end electronics if they weren't being used, has been to purchase a sturdy yet soft insulated lunch box. Get some plush/ firm foam (usually black and has "hills" in it and cut it to fit both the lunch box and to accommodate the equipment snuggily.

A quick trip to Walmart for the lunch box and Walgreens/Michaels/ a craft store will be the cheapest way.

Well Sir, your sig line reads like that of a man that appreciates good glass. Good for you. I bought this backpack for three reasons:

1. It holds all of the gear I'm likely to use
  2. It keeps my gear ready to grab and go on short notice
  3. The zippers are water resistant

I just can't say enough good things about this bag. It might not hold all of your gear, and it doesn't for me, but like I said, it covers the primary glass and two speedlights.

Everything fits in two bags. I have a large Domke bag (love it), where my 60D, lenses, and flash live. Each lens has its specific place. I can always return them to the same spot, so I can reach into it to quickly change lenses at weddings. All my video lights, microphones, coldshoe mounts, audio recorders, 450D, and ring flash go in the backpack.

When I go hiking, I mount the 70-200, and throw my other lenses into the backpack for better portability.

The backpack is a lowepro bag with stowable rain cover built-in. Comes in handy when protecting my non weather-sealed lenses.

Took the 60D to an alligator farm with my 70-200 on it. It rained on me. Felt cool to not have to worry a bit about water damage. B)

Archived