ReefCleaners.org

The Key Patch

flampton

So how's the live rock looking?

+1

I'd like to know as well :) What's new?

Update: definitely no pictures yet as GHA has started to takeover taken over, ugg. Here is what happened and the current plan of attack. I received my CUC order but a bunch of Nerites and Chitons didn't make it. Before I had time to remove them the other members of the CUC and bristles decided to eat them. Thus I added a bunch more nutrients to the water feeding the algae problem. I have since placed another order for more CUC members including more hermits as I decided this style of tank will be able to accept their antics. In the meantime I am weeding. Sunday I plan on doing a 50% change. Then I'll add Phosguard and be changing the media every few days until I get the levels down, though i don't know what they are exactly currently as I need to by a kit (what is a good phosphate kit?) I would guess they are greater than 2 PPM with all that new live rock brings. I'm also looking for these macros:

Cymopolia barbata

Rhipocephalus phoenix

Padina sp.

Udotea sp.

Red grape ie Botry

Spatula ie Avrainvillea.(I've never found this online)

The macros will help compete against the GHA. The Phosguard will also compete. I do not plan on running a Chaeto refugium. so I need the macros in the main display to take the phosphate out. I also plan on starting carbon dosing in some form soon though I'm still pulling a full cup of thick skimmate everyday. This is likely do to the consumption of the GHA by the trillions of copepods in the tank, and the subsequent removal of their poop. Once the GHA situation is stabilized and some macros are in the tank I will finally order some livestock. Though living alone is kinda of boring this is the first tank were I've not had a 'roomie' demand fish as they usually state "what is the point of all this waiting crap" :lol:

The rock btw is great as I'm protecting the important HH from the algae, the toughest is the fire coral as it is seemingly being attacked on purpose by the GHA. As this is my most important HH for my biotope I am trying my best. I feel once the phosphates are in check the Fire coral will gain the upper hand, I hope. It is by far the most novel animal in the tank. I know of zero others who are maintaining it.

Hitchhiker report, a new crab was on the back glass yesterday. He was very small but had large claws. Possibly a porcelain, but also a chance it was a small rock type crab. I don't think he was a Mithrax but he was so small I guess there is a chance. He was brownish not red.

I also have located a colonial tunicate that is an interesting black.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update!

This is one tank evolution that I enjoy following.

I have one friend who always added Mexican Turbos when his new live rock reached the point yours has, and he said it always took care of the issue.

I wonder if you have the same HA I was plagued with in the beginning? I would bet so. I forget how long it took for mine to go away, but adding all the macros in did wonders for eliminating it. It was pretty nasty.

Thanks for the update. I'd been wondering how things were going!!!!!

Uggh, GHA. At least it's generally a temporary problem IME.

Re: hermit antics, though... Most will eat your macros. :(

Apparently Fuzzy Chitons have terrible initial survivability. I've heard like 10-15% will make it past the first 48 hours. Once they do they're pretty solid though. Not sure if it's a shipping or acclimation thing...

Thanks for the update!

This is one tank evolution that I enjoy following.

I have one friend who always added Mexican Turbos when his new live rock reached the point yours has, and he said it always took care of the issue.

Thanks for the idea, I've always been interested in the orange turbos that live aquaria sells through Divers den. I might pull the trigger if there is something else of interest.

I wonder if you have the same HA I was plagued with in the beginning? I would bet so. I forget how long it took for mine to go away, but adding all the macros in did wonders for eliminating it. It was pretty nasty.

Thanks for the update. I'd been wondering how things were going!!!!!

I just put in an order with keydiver for some red grape, codium, Padina and this fluorescent stuff he has that might be Chondria. I took the idea about getting macros to limit the GHA from you, so I must thank you, hopefully it works.

btw I hope you sell your sexys soon, I was considering them at one point, but you made me realize that they will likely irritate things and thus irritate me :)

Uggh, GHA. At least it's generally a temporary problem IME.

Re: hermit antics, though... Most will eat your macros. :(

Apparently Fuzzy Chitons have terrible initial survivability. I've heard like 10-15% will make it past the first 48 hours. Once they do they're pretty solid though. Not sure if it's a shipping or acclimation thing...

Yeah the chitons were a tough buy, but I thought they might make it. We had a 20 degree drop in temp the day they came in so that could have been enough to knock'em out. (and some of the other snails I lost)

Though I gave myself the greenlight to buy hermits (against my better judgement) it doesn't mean they are getting a free ride :) The majority of macros I'm considering are calcareous so tend to be unpalatable to hermits and as for the other varieties hopefully they will grow fast enough to keep up with the small amount the hermits may eat. However if the hermits get caught munching too much(or avoiding other foodstuffs) they will go to AC70 jail and then brought back to the store so someone else can have fun with them. The great thing about hermits is they are probably the easiest crabs to catch ;)

Anyhoo hopefully sooner than later I'll get a handle of things and get some nice livestock and pics for yall

I just put in an order with keydiver for some red grape, codium, Padina and this fluorescent stuff he has that might be Chondria. I took the idea about getting macros to limit the GHA from you, so I must thank you, hopefully it works.

btw I hope you sell your sexys soon, I was considering them at one point, but you made me realize that they will likely irritate things and thus irritate me :)

Seems the red grape did the biggest job of sucking the excess nutrients for me, in the beginning. The grew a LOT. And the HA receded. Then the blue ochtodes took over as the main consumers. Now that ochtodes are mostly gone, it's back to the red grape. I find it all very interesting :)

Sexy shrimp are awesome! I had no real issues with them. I'm just concerned about them stressing the open brain coral in there now. Since removing them, my grandis palys are open ALL the time. That is a BIG bonus for me. Someone else said (I think ian) and I agree...sexies are perfect for a tank with mushrooms, maxis, and macros. Anything else, you would just have to keep an eye on them to see what they do. They aren't hard to catch, at least not for me and my super fast blue net ;):lol:

Can't wait to see this tank in action!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

First off is that Marilyn, Gena? A beauty for sure, man look at those gams (ha ha I used gams like I'm from the 50's). Second I just realized that if someone reads this months from now they'll be like what? haha.

Big updates - meaning Livestock.

Okay for the good news the sea fans came in from Divers Den and are ridiculously awesome. One is a Gorgonia ventalina and the other is a Gorgonia mariae. They are very special gorgs as they are true sea fans. This sh!t is not kids play :lol:

Oh and I got three fish today as well, a freaking sweet red spotted hawk (the only hawk in the Caribbean) as I have fire coral and they are one of the only fish that can perch on it. A Caribbean sailfin blenny. And a rare Caribbean downy blenny. As you can probably guess this tank is being filled with crazy characters that are not found in most tanks. I figure why build a tank I can see on the net?

I have macros coming in from Keydiver tomorrow :) . I'm getting some Codium, Red Grape, brown scroll, red scroll, and a fluorescent algae that has been tentatively identified as a Chondria sp.

Okay now for the bad news, no pics till the GHA is under control. Also after I acclimated the fish I had to go to work and after returning I haven't seen the sailfin or downy blenny. This is of course normal as they were stressed the F out, but still I hate this period of time because for all I know they are worm food.

Any questions? :happydance:

First off is that Marilyn, Gena? A beauty for sure, man look at those gams (ha ha I used gams like I'm from the 50's). Second I just realized that if someone reads this months from now they'll be like what? haha.

Big updates - meaning Livestock.

Okay for the good news the sea fans came in from Divers Den and are ridiculously awesome. One is a Gorgonia ventalina and the other is a Gorgonia mariae. They are very special gorgs as they are true sea fans. This sh!t is not kids play :lol:

Oh and I got three fish today as well, a freaking sweet red spotted hawk (the only hawk in the Caribbean) as I have fire coral and they are one of the only fish that can perch on it. A Caribbean sailfin blenny. And a rare Caribbean downy blenny. As you can probably guess this tank is being filled with crazy characters that are not found in most tanks. I figure why build a tank I can see on the net?

I have macros coming in from Keydiver tomorrow :) . I'm getting some Codium, Red Grape, brown scroll, red scroll, and a fluorescent algae that has been tentatively identified as a Chondria sp.

Okay now for the bad news, no pics till the GHA is under control. Also after I acclimated the fish I had to go to work and after returning I haven't seen the sailfin or downy blenny. This is of course normal as they were stressed the F out, but still I hate this period of time because for all I know they are worm food.

Any questions? :happydance:

No...that's me!!!! :lol: Yes, it's Marilyn. She's my girl. I always use her for my avatar. That's her quote below it too :happy:

Awesome livestock update. I will patiently wait for photos. I'm so happy you got the sea fans of your dreams!!!!! Your fish are just fine fingerscrossed

jedimasterben
This has epic written all over it. Can't wait!

No, this tank is the definition of 'epic' according to Merriam-Webster. Durrrr! ;)

I went and looked through my photobucket and it doesn't seem I have a very clear photo of what the yucky algae looked like in the beginning. I hope you don't mind my posting this photo here. It's the best photo I have of it. It was a combination of green and red and it just slowly disappeared on it's own. I also stocked with lots of macro to compete with it.

ae28fts7-5-12.jpg

Does it look like what you are dealing with?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived