inTank Media Baskets

The Key Patch

flampton

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I received my Sealife/KP Aquatics rock yesterday and it is fantastic looking. Beautiful orange, yellow, green corallines. Many colonies of SPS also fire coral as I requested.

rock looks great, I love uncured rock myself. Those yellow and orange spots are sponges though.

Someone IDd mine as tunicates then someone else IDd them as sponges. If you look closely after your cycle is done, you should be able to see tiny clear intake tubes.

Very nice looking rock.

Thanks! I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it that way, this cycle is a rough one.

That rock is insta-reef!!!

Yeah there is at least 12 colonies of SPS. Then there is the encrusting fire coral (Millepora sp.) which has its dactylozoids out so I know it is still alive. I'm hoping to salvage at least half the SPS and the fire.

rock looks great, I love uncured rock myself. Those yellow and orange spots are sponges though.

Someone IDd mine as tunicates then someone else IDd them as sponges. If you look closely after your cycle is done, you should be able to see tiny clear intake tubes.

You're right as the orange sponge has given up the ghost, seems it did not like the trip. The red sponges have different textures between them so I think there is at least two varieties. The coralline that is present is lavender and there is a tiny splash of green that I'm not so sure on. Anyways the rock is cool.

Here is a pick of one type of red sponge:

2012-10-23_17-39-12_746.jpg

To keep track how the cycle is going (as only two corals have shown significant signs of life so far) there is a 1/2in feather duster in the front of the tank. I'm watching to see if it keeps its head on, I figure that is a good way as any to see if the curing isn't too harsh.

Upper left of the starfish is the duster

2012-10-23_12-49-22_160-1.jpg

jedimasterben

If you want some more dusters, I will send you a box of macro from the Atlantic, that stuff is full of the little dudes (among other things).

Woohoo...rock!!!!! :happydance:

Brings back happy memories. Looks just like the rock I got!!!!!! My tank was cloudy like that too. Didn't take too long to clear up. I cycled how KPA told me to. I changed out about 2 gallons of water a week. I'll have to go look up exactly how many gallons it was. I believe they said to do that for the first 3 weeks of the cycle. Again, I have to look up exactly what they said. But that sounds about right. You will be shocked by the amount (and size) of bristleworms that are hiding in your rock!!!!! They won't make an appearance until the tank finishes cycling. I lost very little, if anything, in my cycle.

I did have one very small crab. I haven't seen him in a LONG time though. Not sure he's still alive. I'd imagine so though.

So excited for you :happy:

If you want some more dusters, I will send you a box of macro from the Atlantic, that stuff is full of the little dudes (among other things).

Thanks! it will be awhile though, my next purchase will be with John in a few weeks.

Woohoo...rock!!!!! :happydance:

Brings back happy memories. Looks just like the rock I got!!!!!! My tank was cloudy like that too. Didn't take too long to clear up. I cycled how KPA told me to. I changed out about 2 gallons of water a week. I'll have to go look up exactly how many gallons it was. I believe they said to do that for the first 3 weeks of the cycle. Again, I have to look up exactly what they said. But that sounds about right. You will be shocked by the amount (and size) of bristleworms that are hiding in your rock!!!!! They won't make an appearance until the tank finishes cycling. I lost very little, if anything, in my cycle.

I did have one very small crab. I haven't seen him in a LONG time though. Not sure he's still alive. I'd imagine so though.

So excited for you :happy:

Thanks Gena! I'm pretty excited but also a bit nervous, as i always am, curing live rock while maintaining the native population. :unsure: (But if there are any isopods, die, die, die)

I'm pretty surprised on the extremely small water changes KPA recommended. Two gallons a week on a 28 during curing? Please if you can look up the notes again and let me know, that would be great.

Worms, worms!! Huh no biggie I like worms, unless they were really nasty, like Hermodice carunculata fire worms. Then they obviously have to go. I'm still wary on the crabs, I have no idea how fast they'll grow if they make it, I guess I'll just check to see if molts start to get excessively big and livestock getting munched.

Also although this is my thread I'm going to ask you about your liverock curing picture in your thread, ha ha. There is clearly a SPS of some kind right smack dab up front, it looks like a Porites sp. What ever happened to this fellow? It was pretty big for a hitchhiking stony.

In other news, no news which is good news. Curing is proceeding, smell is decreasing.

I did this w/some super crazy fresh rock I got from the Pacific, and I think I did 50% WC's twice a day for the first 2 days, and then I did 50% WCs once a day for a few days after that.

I had the rock in a 5g tank, so that wasn't as big a deal as it sounds.

I was able to save a lot of hitchhikers that way, including some very nice Red Zoas and some Porites.

Porites on Caribbean rock will often survive a cycle if you treat it right, as you are doing.

Thanks! it will be awhile though, my next purchase will be with John in a few weeks.

Thanks Gena! I'm pretty excited but also a bit nervous, as i always am, curing live rock while maintaining the native population. :unsure: (But if there are any isopods, die, die, die)

I'm pretty surprised on the extremely small water changes KPA recommended. Two gallons a week on a 28 during curing? Please if you can look up the notes again and let me know, that would be great.

Worms, worms!! Huh no biggie I like worms, unless they were really nasty, like Hermodice carunculata fire worms. Then they obviously have to go. I'm still wary on the crabs, I have no idea how fast they'll grow if they make it, I guess I'll just check to see if molts start to get excessively big and livestock getting munched.

Also although this is my thread I'm going to ask you about your liverock curing picture in your thread, ha ha. There is clearly a SPS of some kind right smack dab up front, it looks like a Porites sp. What ever happened to this fellow? It was pretty big for a hitchhiking stony.

In other news, no news which is good news. Curing is proceeding, smell is decreasing.

I looked it up. I was wrong :lol:

They said this: "I would suggest 20% water changes every two days for a week." Which jogs my memory. I was doing 5 gallon changes every two days for a week. Then I let it finish the cycle with no water changes. It was a successful cycle with no losses that were noticeable. Those were porites. They survived just fine, but have since been covered by my ochtodes.

jedimasterben

Just let me know when. This stuff isn't going away any time soon. :lol:

I did this w/some super crazy fresh rock I got from the Pacific, and I think I did 50% WC's twice a day for the first 2 days, and then I did 50% WCs once a day for a few days after that.

I was able to save a lot of hitchhikers that way, including some very nice Red Zoas and some Porites.

Porites on Caribbean rock will often survive a cycle if you treat it right, as you are doing.

+1

Wheetie is right, frequent and large WC to have A soft cycle and preserve the life on this rock.

Sponges can have intake tubes as well, called oscillum. They show up on a number of the demospongia , particularly the low lying- creeping sponges.

Flampton, the tank is looking good! Can't wait for it to progress. Have you come to a conclusion about Alpheus Armatus yet?

My original rock was from TB saltwater, and it was covered in cup corals, sponges, tunicates, coralline, crabs, and a mantis shrimp. It's much more fun to get uncured rock :)

Thanks, everything seems to be going fine with the water changes. I'll be sure to keep it up.

I looked it up. I was wrong :lol:

They said this: "I would suggest 20% water changes every two days for a week." Which jogs my memory. I was doing 5 gallon changes every two days for a week. Then I let it finish the cycle with no water changes. It was a successful cycle with no losses that were noticeable. Those were porites. They survived just fine, but have since been covered by my ochtodes.

Thanks for looking that up; that sounds more like it :)

Oh and so you did have SPS this whole time, just not any Acro. :P

+1

Wheetie is right, frequent and large WC to have A soft cycle and preserve the life on this rock.

Yup doing the changes

Sponges can have intake tubes as well, called oscillum. They show up on a number of the demospongia , particularly the low lying- creeping sponges.

Flampton, the tank is looking good! Can't wait for it to progress. Have you come to a conclusion about Alpheus Armatus yet?

My original rock was from TB saltwater, and it was covered in cup corals, sponges, tunicates, coralline, crabs, and a mantis shrimp. It's much more fun to get uncured rock :)

Thanks!

As for the shrimp I'm not sure yet. Interestingly some kind of snapping has started coming from the tank, I'll have to address this new scenario. The first steps will be the CUC and some macros ;)

Oh and I think if I go with smaller fish, like rustys, these pistols maybe just too aggressive.

And yes fresh live rock is great especially as the hitchhikers start making more appearances. Of course if you get significant amount of 'bad' hitchhikers then you think how much money you could have saved on dry rock :lol:

How's the cycle going????

You are hearing snapping? I never heard any with mine. I only had that one isopod. I think I got pretty lucky. Well....I do know I have a eunice worm in the tank. It's tiny. I haven't seen it since I added the wrasse though, so maybe it made a meal out of it. I've seen him munching on little worms before. fingerscrossed

How's the cycle going????

You are hearing snapping? I never heard any with mine. I only had that one isopod. I think I got pretty lucky. Well....I do know I have a eunice worm in the tank. It's tiny. I haven't seen it since I added the wrasse though, so maybe it made a meal out of it. I've seen him munching on little worms before. fingerscrossed

Cycle is going great, starting to see the beginnings of algal growth. More water changes are needed to keep the nutrients down.

Yeah not sure what is going on since I only heard the snapping on Saturday but it is also the only time I've been by the tank the majority of the day.

As long as the params stay nice and smooth the order to John will go out soon for the CUC, maybe next week or the week after. Then if I see snails being decimated I'll have an idea something is living in the tank that I'll have to remove :unsure:

Hope the PSW ate the eunice. That would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Cycle complete!!!

No pics as there is slight overgrowth of various algal sp. This was expected, actually desired except that one is a Dictyota sp. (Y-algae). It is a great looking green-blue sp. but is becoming a bit invasive.

As for notable HH I haven't mentioned yet:

Pistol shrimp is confirmed by molt, but not by eye. (Snapping is still present) Not sure what type.

Red (Ruby) Mithrax crab is confirmed by eye.

A very small curley-cue anem was hidden in a patch of Halimeda that didn't make it. I wanted one so that is cool. The pistol doesn't seem to associate as the snapping is in a different rock, area.

Now for a weird story, I was staring at the tank and out a small hole in the rock came spitting out like a geyser parts of a very small crab. This was either a molt or a picked CLEAN corpse. Anyways the claws had fans so I am assuming it is/was a porcelain crab of some type. Will see what that's about in a bit as I just ordered my CUC from John.

CUC

Lots and lots of snails, a few chitons, and 4 blue legs because though I hate some of their antics they will be beneficial to this type of tank. Also some filter feeder formula.

Oh and in the next couple weeks I'll decide what macros for the tank. Has anyone ever seen Avrainvillea sp. for sale?

jedimasterben

If you'd like some halimeda or any other macros that I have, just let me know and I'll send you some, I've got more than I know what to do with. :)

I had a pretty good ugly algae growth after my cycle finished too. Didn't take too long to clear out once I got my display macros in the tank. I'm dying to see your tank!!!!!!! omgomgomg

Sounds like you got some pretty cool HH's. I had a red mithrax crab too, but it died in transit. Found it's lifeless body at the bottom of the box :( The little "bad" crab that did survive the trip hasn't been seen for many weeks now. I'm not sure if it's good at hiding or died?????? I have a feeling it's just a ninja in the tank.

If you'd like some halimeda or any other macros that I have, just let me know and I'll send you some, I've got more than I know what to do with. :)

Halymenia or Halimeda? Cuz if you have a ton of Halimeda I'd be surprised as they aren't the most prolific growers being highly calcareous. I'm probably not going with any Haly just to be a bit different B)

I had a pretty good ugly algae growth after my cycle finished too. Didn't take too long to clear out once I got my display macros in the tank. I'm dying to see your tank!!!!!!! omgomgomg

Sounds like you got some pretty cool HH's. I had a red mithrax crab too, but it died in transit. Found it's lifeless body at the bottom of the box :( The little "bad" crab that did survive the trip hasn't been seen for many weeks now. I'm not sure if it's good at hiding or died?????? I have a feeling it's just a ninja in the tank.

Hopefully soon I'll get a FTS, Not ready for primetime yet though. CUC is on the way. I sent a msg to keydiver about macros. Oh and after that is all in place then I can put in my first livestock order at KPA! I'm still undecided on large or small fish. I like Rustys but since yours tend to hide on opposite sides of the tank I'm wary. I was looking at sharknose(yellow line neons) as well but haven't seen pairs for sale. Of course then there is the wrasse blenny, not sure if they are available anywhere.

Hopefully that ninja doesn't grow and stays away from your livestock. I'm going to watch my CUC for losses and bait if need be. I don't want crabs :lol: though the Ruby mithrax is pretty darn cool looking, much more attractive than Emeralds to my eyes. Unfortunately he is not social and I've only seen him like twice.

Nice rock - looking good man!

Thanks man! I've got your tank(s) subscribed, I've been meaning to post. Pretty darn cool setup.

jedimasterben
Halymenia or Halimeda? Cuz if you have a ton of Halimeda I'd be surprised as they aren't the most prolific growers being highly calcareous. I'm probably not going with any Haly just to be a bit different B)

Yep, I mean the hard green stuff. My friend had it grow uncontrollably in his 6g seahorse tank, and it's very prolific in mine, as well!

Yep, I mean the hard green stuff. My friend had it grow uncontrollably in his 6g seahorse tank, and it's very prolific in mine, as well!

Thanks!

I'm going to see if the halimeda that came in on the rock recovers. If not then I will surely hit you up!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived