ReefCleaners.org

Red gonipora

tinctorus

Hey I was checking out a red gonipora today and asked the owner of the store to hold it for me for a day or two since it just came in friday and I wanted to do a little research on it before I commited to something that may die "I always like to do my research if I am unfamiliar with a particular coral or fish"

Anyway I am looking to get some feedback on general care and maintenance of the red goni's, From what I remember and what I can gather the red ones are MUCH hardier than your typical long tentacle flowerpot's and they typically fair much better in tank's, is this true?

I know he said it was from ORA, I know that the red goni's from them are not aquacultured pieces persee but I think they are actually babies that the mother colony they have has produced right?

I also think the ORA ones are kept in there outdoor facility and have natural seawater being exchanged in the vat at all times so it is basically like awild piece from what I gather but I am not sure

Thanks guys

Mike G

Hey I was checking out a red gonipora today and asked the owner of the store to hold it for me for a day or two since it just came in friday and I wanted to do a little research on it before I commited to something that may die "I always like to do my research if I am unfamiliar with a particular coral or fish"

Anyway I am looking to get some feedback on general care and maintenance of the red goni's, From what I remember and what I can gather the red ones are MUCH hardier than your typical long tentacle flowerpot's and they typically fair much better in tank's, is this true?

I know he said it was from ORA, I know that the red goni's from them are not aquacultured pieces persee but I think they are actually babies that the mother colony they have has produced right?

I also think the ORA ones are kept in there outdoor facility and have natural seawater being exchanged in the vat at all times so it is basically like awild piece from what I gather but I am not sure

Thanks guys

Mike G

I have been keeping gonioporas for 20 years+, and the red ORA's are some of my favorites. They eat well, and you should learn how to target feed them.

Here is a good link on how to feed gonioporas:

gonioporas

staren.jpg

I have had one for about a month now, it loves to be spot fed phyto. During the hi light time, noon to about six thirty, it loves the MH lighting. Looks like its thriving so far. Its colored like the one to the right in Zeph's pic

I have been keeping gonioporas for 20 years+, and the red ORA's are some of my favorites. They eat well, and you should learn how to target feed them.

Here is a good link on how to feed gonioporas:

gonioporas

staren.jpg

This one had VERY short tentacles on it where as your have the typically very long flowerpot coral tentacles, is there a difference in them?

The tentacle on this one were no longer than 1/4-1/2 an inch at most

Like this

PinkShortPolypGoniopora70md.jpg

Dwarf%20Goniopora.jpg?400,400,-2057644106

Going from that article it was Goniopora Stutchburyi that the store had

This one had VERY short tentacles on it where as your have the typically very long flowerpot coral tentacles, is there a difference in them?

The tentacle on this one were no longer than 1/4-1/2 an inch at most

Like this

PinkShortPolypGoniopora70md.jpg

Dwarf%20Goniopora.jpg?400,400,-2057644106

The smaller red one I posted is from ORA, and every red one I have seen from them has been long like in the pic. They have aquacultured blue and green ones that are short like youre talking about. Maybe your red one is from ora but just not under happy conditions. The long polyp ones are better eaters imo.

The smaller red one I posted is from ORA, and every red one I have seen from them has been long like in the pic. They have aquacultured blue and green ones that are short like youre talking about. Maybe your red one is from ora but just not under happy conditions. The long polyp ones are better eaters imo.

Hmmm, Ok I will let it sit at the store for a few more days and see what it does, I think that he may have been wrong however in where it came from because if the one you posted is what ORA sells then his is definitely NOT from ORA

I am 99% positive that I made the correct ID with Gonipora Stutchburyi as that is exactly what it looks like, Although I do know that even the same goniopra in different areas of even the same tank can develop different polyp growth and extension

Also thank you for that areticle, it was very informative for sure

Archived