Pod Your Reef

SCA 301 Skimmer skimmate

Snapper

I have a question about this, my skimmer "nozzle" or whatever you call it to dial the bubble strength is literally between the "off" and the "1" and I still get some water in the cup.

Maybe small trickles here and there than 1 hour later out of no where it just pours in water all the way to the top.

What level is your skimmer nozzle at?

I see most do it at 4-5, if I do that it overflows.

jedimasterben

Hmm, that should be ok. I'm assuming the airline is hooked up to the pump properly, right? Can you get a couple of pics of the setup?

jedimasterben

If there is only foam going up the neck, then what is in the cup is just thin skimmate. If I remember right you just got this recently, it probably hasn't broken in yet.

jedimasterben

Derp. My brain is on the fritz right now :lol:

Just give it some time, I think. If it doesn't start pulling darker and darker foam after a week or two, then I'd contact the ebay seller and let them know what's going on. Mine took around 2-3 weeks to start pulling skimmate very well.

If you just started using it it could still take some time. Mine's been running for about 24 hours and I'm also getting a very dilute skim. How can you even tell what number yours is dialed in at? My tube doesn't have a marker. I adjust it by looking at the foam level.

It might be that the numbered knob is somehow reversed. I never look at the # and I don't know what mine is turned up to at all. I go by how far up the neck of the skimmer I want the bubbles to be. Twist the blue knob to the highest and see if it is reversed somehow.

jedimasterben

When I had it (Kat got my old one), I had it tuned to where the water line was at the bottom of the collection cup, then the foam bubble up the rest of the way and spilled out into the cup. Pulled dark skimmate that way.

at this point, just turn the knob till you have the bubbles or water line or whatever far below the overflow point. I have mine turned up much lower than Jedi and get about 1/2 cm dark blackish skimmate a day

jedimasterben
You might want to just raise the skimmer up. That would give you more room for adjustments.

He has the skimmer in 8" of water, which is actually under what is typically used with the skimmer.

He has the skimmer in 8" of water, which is actually under what is typically used with the skimmer.
whoops, sounds like not enough water height. :P

set it to where its making bubbles but not pushing them further than maybe half way up the tube, then walk away...no dont look at it. leave it alone for a week.

after that, each day check it. if its still not pushing crud into the cup turn it up one notch. leave it alone for the day after that.

brand new skimmers are kinda wierd when you first get them. they get better with age. if you try to rush the "seasoning" you will just get water in the cup.

after its properly "tuned" any adjustments needed will just be a notch or two up or down depending on how dark or wet you want it to skim.

quit playing with it so much, youll go blind

jedimasterben
under? I was told this skimmer needs 6-9 inches of water

I usually see people keep it 10-12, but realistically anything 8-14 should work. I wouldn't keep it in 6" at all, it's got enough power to push it up, but only turned way up.

Archived