SaltCritters.com

help...all my fish are dead

emmerypemmery

emmerypemmery

Nano reef tank, set up about 6-7 months ago. Water changes have been done weekly and tests have always been in normal parameters. Last week a little yellow goby died, then the following day the royal gramma died. we immediatly tested the water and found that the Ph was a little low, took a sample to the lfs who was the Kh was about 7 and he thought we had had a Ph spike which was enough to see them off, he reccomended a water change and told us to monitor the Kh. We did this and the Kh increased again, but this morning our two clowns and pink scooter have also died :-( the Kh was back down to 7 and ph was 8 and the lfs man said that it was probably another spike or a parasite.

there is a trace of nitrates and zero on ammonia and nitrite. :-(

Shrimp shed last night too but he seems ok.

what do you guys think???

I'm going to go with a parasite. I keep my ph at a range of 8-8.3. kh at 7 is fine too.

Have you added anything new the the tank recently? Corals or fish?

randythefishdude
I'm going to go with a parasite. I keep my ph at a range of 8-8.3. kh at 7 is fine too.

Have you added anything new the the tank recently? Corals or fish?

+1... keep it fishless for a while

pH spike..uh no.

There's not really enough info here to diagnose the issue. Did you make any changes recently? What s your WC schedule? Do you dose?

emmerypemmery

I change about 10-15% weekly. I add a coral buffer weekly too but have done since the beginning, no changes apart from the urchin i added about 2 weeks ago. I also changed brand of frozen food at the same time. :-( i am gutted to say the least

pH spike..uh no.

There's not really enough info here to diagnose the issue. Did you make any changes recently? What s your WC schedule? Do you dose?

+1

When you say your params are normal, what params are you checking and was pH one of them? Can you ID ich or are you sure it wasn't that?

emmerypemmery

ph 8.1

nitrates traces

nitrites zero

ammonia zero

kh 7

I dont think i could id ich, i saw no spots but i am not 100% that it wasnt

all the fish looked horrid after death but not before hand.

Can you describe what they looked like? Discolorations, dots that are white or black, mysterious growths, and the areas they are in if you can ID them, around the gills on the fins etc

You didn't mention phosphate. In a seven gallon tank with several fish being fed everyday, phosphate can reach fatal levels.

I don't think a slight PH swing can kill fish, but it would be the first verification of it for me, if so.

Many African chichlids have been found in the ocean, so fish are very adaptable to PH and salinity.

emmerypemmery

Sorry, none of the fish are available for photographs now :-( when I say horrid I just mean colorless really. Some seem to have been eaten and were quite hollow. There was no obvious signs or marks on them and up until this morning the clowns were happy and looked great!

5 fish in a 7 gallon, plus cuc? I it wasn't parasites, either the stress of so many fish or the bioload could not be kept and ammonia killed them. That's IF it's a 7 gallon like Jason said. That urchin will also starve eventually.

Sorry, none of the fish are available for photographs now :-( when I say horrid I just mean colorless really. Some seem to have been eaten and were quite hollow. There was no obvious signs or marks on them and up until this morning the clowns were happy and looked great!

Might you have a Mantis shrimp on the tank that comes out at night and gets your fish but leaves dead bodies or are there Fireworms maybe or something unusual in the tank

Looking at night after the lights have been out for an hour or two with a flaslight with a red plastic over the lens so you can see what goes on may help you see what is crawling around or what may be causing this.

Not sure it will but it is something to consider doing.

Fish don't just die and I doubt it is the pH or the dKH ... that would not kill your fish.

Did anyone spray any chemicals in the house that may have gotten in the water ?

Those are all things to look at or for

Archived