ReefCleaners.org

What type of algae is this?

jball1125

Anything I can do to help get rid of it? Its the fluffy stuff, there is also some long stringy strands that will get loner in places with a lot of flow.

Anything have an appetite for it? Not sure my snails are going for it.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Might be chrysophytes. chucks addiction has a good snipped about them. you can also google "golden hair algae" Hard to tell with your color lighting though, it may just be a tuft forming species of cyano. The hair seems to be associated with that film that is growing around it, I wouldn't think a macroalgae would have that feature, that is why I don't think it is run of the mill hair algae. You have some stringy growth that kind of look like "dinos", but it is hard to tell really.

Might be chrysophytes. chucks addiction has a good snipped about them. you can also google "golden hair algae" Hard to tell with your color lighting though, it may just be a tuft forming species of cyano. The hair seems to be associated with that film that is growing around it, I wouldn't think a macroalgae would have that feature, that is why I don't think it is run of the mill hair algae. You have some stringy growth that kind of look like "dinos", but it is hard to tell really.

+1 on the Dino comment John, I do think that part of what I see are indeed Dinoflagellates.

Agreed that on the algae it is hard to tell due to the lighting and the pic being a bit difficult to interpret

Archived