SaltCritters.com

Getting back in.... 30G Finnex

Matt2939

So after a couple of years sitting out, I've decided to get back in the hobby. Last time I had a tank I was in college, so a lot has changed. I've got a little more patience now, some income (before I had none), and now the tank is sitting in my office waiting room so it HAS to look nice.

The tank is a 30G Finnex AOI, and I got rid of the T5 lights this time around and went with the JBJ Unibody LED setup since it has a nice clean look, and the reviews were pretty good. Everything else equipment-wise is stock from the initial set up.

It's been about 2 weeks, I added 30 lbs of live sand about a week ago, and just a couple of days ago added Pukani rock from Bulk Reef Supply. I ordered 30 lbs from BRS, but I don't think I used but half of it. I just don't want a huge wall of rocks, and the ones I'm using I love. This time around I'm using exclusively RO/DI water.

So I'll be looking for some tips on stocking in the coming weeks. Thanks.

I want to give some positive feedback to Bulk Reef Supply. I absolutely love the rock they sent me. This rock already has a cave ready.post-13021-1346447707_thumb.jpg

post-13021-1346447861_thumb.jpg

Another rock.

post-13021-1346447933_thumb.jpg

My favorite one.

post-13021-1346447972_thumb.jpg

Skimmer at work.

post-13021-1346448008_thumb.jpg

Now my first question, the picture is of the small refugium in the back of the tank. I've got some live rock back there and I got a starter refugium pack from Reefs 2 Go that I put back there. It came with Red Grape, Turtle Grass, and a bunch of pods. Any other type of stuff I should put back there?

gulfsurfer101

Nice choice on the finnex, I enjoyed mine while it was up. I'm also game for five or so pounds of that LR if you want a couple bucks for it. As far as the five section, I just crammed a chunk of cheato back there and dialed down the flow to that area for longer water exposure. Looking forward to see what you do with this build.

So after a lot of reading on about mandarins/scooter blennys, I think I would like one of these two to be apart of this tank. Yesterday I went and got a 10g tank for a pod tank to feed the fish. Other than adding some chaeto, do you think this would work for this purpose?

post-13021-1346681247_thumb.jpg

Hey can someone tell me how to insert an image directly into the post, opposed to an attachment?

I've searched and can't find how to do this. I have a shutterfly account but when I try to do insert image it says it is invalid. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yep it's an ORA Orchid Dottyback. I love him. Right now I've got the clownfish, the orchid dotty back, and a six line wrasse. They all get along great, zero aggression. The orchid dotty back stayed in the holes in the rock the first day or two, but now he's out and about all day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived